VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure? - DEC

This is a discussion on VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure? - DEC ; Hello all, A friendly comp.sys.dec'er (thanks Rob!) sent me the VCB02 video cable, and it arrived yesterday. I promptly attached it to the VAXstation 3/GPX, and used the keyboard and mouse I had on-hand, which was an LK401 and VSXXX-GA, ...

  1. VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    Hello all,

    A friendly comp.sys.dec'er (thanks Rob!) sent me the VCB02 video
    cable, and it arrived yesterday. I promptly attached it to the
    VAXstation 3/GPX, and used the keyboard and mouse I had on-hand, which
    was an LK401 and VSXXX-GA, respectively. The VCB02 POST failed, and
    the LEDs on the VCB02 are on/off/on, which apparently means a keyboard
    failure.

    I know the keyboard was ok, because I had used it on a DEC 3000
    previously, and I know the keyboard basically worked, because if I
    disconnected it and reconnected it, it made that faint "beep" sound
    that DEC keyboards make when they power on. I even tried two other
    LK401's, with the same result.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any LK201's on-hand to test with, so I
    don't know if the problem is a bad VCB02 or that the VCB02 is
    expecting an LK201 and doesn't like the LK401.

    I'd like to see if anyone has any comments before I go out and buy
    an LK201 and/or replacement VCB02...

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:37:06 UTC, ChrisKalisiak
    wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > A friendly comp.sys.dec'er (thanks Rob!) sent me the VCB02 video
    > cable, and it arrived yesterday. I promptly attached it to the
    > VAXstation 3/GPX, and used the keyboard and mouse I had on-hand, which
    > was an LK401 and VSXXX-GA, respectively. The VCB02 POST failed, and
    > the LEDs on the VCB02 are on/off/on, which apparently means a keyboard
    > failure.
    >
    > I know the keyboard was ok, because I had used it on a DEC 3000
    > previously, and I know the keyboard basically worked, because if I
    > disconnected it and reconnected it, it made that faint "beep" sound
    > that DEC keyboards make when they power on. I even tried two other
    > LK401's, with the same result.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't have any LK201's on-hand to test with, so I
    > don't know if the problem is a bad VCB02 or that the VCB02 is
    > expecting an LK201 and doesn't like the LK401.
    >
    > I'd like to see if anyone has any comments before I go out and buy
    > an LK201 and/or replacement VCB02...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Where are you Chris?

    --
    Cheers - Dave.

  3. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    In article <1177169826.858173.144630@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    ChrisKalisiak wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    > A friendly comp.sys.dec'er (thanks Rob!) sent me the VCB02 video
    >cable, and it arrived yesterday. I promptly attached it to the
    >VAXstation 3/GPX, and used the keyboard and mouse I had on-hand, which
    >was an LK401 and VSXXX-GA, respectively. The VCB02 POST failed, and
    >the LEDs on the VCB02 are on/off/on, which apparently means a keyboard
    >failure.
    >
    > I know the keyboard was ok, because I had used it on a DEC 3000
    >previously, and I know the keyboard basically worked, because if I
    >disconnected it and reconnected it, it made that faint "beep" sound
    >that DEC keyboards make when they power on. I even tried two other
    >LK401's, with the same result.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I don't have any LK201's on-hand to test with, so I
    >don't know if the problem is a bad VCB02 or that the VCB02 is
    >expecting an LK201 and doesn't like the LK401.
    >
    > I'd like to see if anyone has any comments before I go out and buy
    >an LK201 and/or replacement VCB02...

    Hi Chris,

    Have you obtained an LK201 yet? I can likely find an extra one if I
    burrow down in a few boxes.

    -- Robert

  4. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    Odd, I know I replied to this posting, but I guess I'm a bit rusty
    when it comes to usenet...

    I'm in New York, in the Buffalo / Niagara Falls area.

    And one thing I forgot to mention is that I did an end-to-end ring out
    of the cable plus the cabkit (from the pins in the RJ11 socket to the
    pins on the 2x10something connector that mates to the VCB02), so I
    know the cable is good.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  5. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:45:34 UTC, ChrisKalisiak
    wrote:

    > Odd, I know I replied to this posting, but I guess I'm a bit rusty
    > when it comes to usenet...
    >
    > I'm in New York, in the Buffalo / Niagara Falls area.
    >
    > And one thing I forgot to mention is that I did an end-to-end ring out
    > of the cable plus the cabkit (from the pins in the RJ11 socket to the
    > pins on the 2x10something connector that mates to the VCB02), so I
    > know the cable is good.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    A bit far to just pop by. I picked up onn the 'gmail' domain as being
    in Germany - got confused with 'gmx' I guess. Had you been over here I
    could have popped an LK201 in the post. We've a got a few still. Their
    VT2xx/3xx/4xx screens are slowly dying. Oddly enough the VT220s appear
    to have the greatest longevity.

    --
    Cheers - Dave.

  6. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    Hey, Rob, long time no see. Glad to hear you're still into DEC gear.

    I have not yet acquired an LK201, so if you could dig one up, I'd
    greatly appreciate it.

    I'll actually be flying to Japan on Wednesday for two weeks, so
    there's no immediate rush. But I can give you my parents' address to
    ship one to if you do dig one up. It would be cool to have one waiting
    for me when I return. ;-)

    Drop me an email, either at the address we last used 6 years ago, or
    my gmail account. The first half of the gmail address is "kalisiak".
    I'd be more than willing to at least cover the cost of shipping.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  7. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    Not sure if anyone's keeping tabs on this or not, but I figured I'd
    follow up for posterity.

    I received an LK201 yesterday and immediately connected it to the
    VCB02 and powered up the system. Unfortunately, the result was the
    same -- the LEDs on the VCB02 indicate that there was a keyboard
    failure.

    Since my last posting in April, I did come across a monochrome/
    keyboard/mouse cable of the same general type, and it didn't help
    either. I didn't think it would, since I had rung out the pins on the
    color/keyboard/mouse cable connected to the cabkit and found that the
    pins were all valid, but I figured I may as well give it a try.

    Summary is I tried three LK401's and one LK201, two different cables,
    and the one 8-plane VCB02 with cabkit. This is in a BA123 with a KA650-
    BA, 40MB of memory, and DELQA in front of the VCB02, but I can't
    imagine any of this really matters that much.

    The only thing that's left to try at this point, as far as I can tell,
    is another VCB02 main board. If anyone out there happens to have one,
    please let me know. I'm searching for a replacement, and expect to
    find one by the end of June, one way or the other.

    Chris

  8. Re: VCB02 plus LK401 equals keyboard failure?

    Lo and behold, here it is, the end of June, and I swapped out the
    VCB02 mainboard with another one that I bought through eBay.

    Turns out the problem was with the previous VCB02 mainboard. By
    replacing it, I was able to successfully power-on the MicroVAX (now
    VAXstation) to the PROM monitor ">>>" prompt through the graphical
    head.

    So, it had nothing to do with the LK401. Summary is the LK401 is
    compatible with the VCB02, assuming the VCB02 works in the first
    place.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread