What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion? - DEC

This is a discussion on What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion? - DEC ; I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 and a storage expansion unit in a BA42 enclosure. The expansion box has a 50-pin SCSI connector that I am familiar with, but I am not familiar with the small 68-pin connector on the ...

  1. What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 and a storage expansion unit in a BA42
    enclosure. The expansion box has a 50-pin SCSI connector that I am familiar
    with, but I am not familiar with the small 68-pin connector on the
    VAXstation itself. I am not sure therefore what cable to look for, can
    anyone tell me?

    Thanks

    Rob Jarratt

  2. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    writes:

    > I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 and a storage expansion unit in a BA42
    > enclosure. The expansion box has a 50-pin SCSI connector that I am familiar
    > with, but I am not familiar with the small 68-pin connector on the
    > VAXstation itself. I am not sure therefore what cable to look for, can
    > anyone tell me?

    It is a SCSI cable, but unique to the VAXstations.

  3. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    From further research it sounds like I need a BC09J or a BC56H, can anyone
    confirm this? Can't find any on eBay :-(

    Regards

    Rob

    "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    wrote in message news:evra72$j6i$1@online.de...
    > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > writes:
    >
    >> I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 and a storage expansion unit in a BA42
    >> enclosure. The expansion box has a 50-pin SCSI connector that I am
    >> familiar
    >> with, but I am not familiar with the small 68-pin connector on the
    >> VAXstation itself. I am not sure therefore what cable to look for, can
    >> anyone tell me?

    > It is a SCSI cable, but unique to the VAXstations.

  4. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    "Robert Jarratt" wrote in

    > From further research it sounds like I need a BC09J or a BC56H, can
    > anyone confirm this? Can't find any on eBay :-(
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    > wrote in message
    >> In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 and a storage expansion unit in a BA42
    >>> enclosure. The expansion box has a 50-pin SCSI connector that I am
    >>> familiar
    >>> with, but I am not familiar with the small 68-pin connector on the
    >>> VAXstation itself. I am not sure therefore what cable to look for,
    >>> can anyone tell me?

    >> It is a SCSI cable, but unique to the VAXstations.

    I'm looking here at a cable tagged as BC56H-06. One end is a 68-pin,
    metal-hooded connector. The other end is a 50-pin Centronics connector
    with a molded hood. I've never owned a VAXstation, but I did haul away a
    certain amount of cables that would have otherwise been discarded. The
    usual advice is to get a 3 foot cable if that is sufficient length, since
    it will allow more devices on the SCSI bus before reaching the
    specification maximum.

    Tad

  5. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    If the 68-pin connector is female and the 50-pin one is male then that
    sounds right. If so, are you prepared to sell your cable?

    Regards

    Rob

    "Tad Winters" wrote in message
    news:Xns9912BA92E722Dstaffordnospamwinter@130.81.6 4.196...
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote in
    >
    >> From further research it sounds like I need a BC09J or a BC56H, can
    >> anyone confirm this? Can't find any on eBay :-(
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>
    >> "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    >> wrote in message

    >>> It is a SCSI cable, but unique to the VAXstations.

    > I'm looking here at a cable tagged as BC56H-06. One end is a 68-pin,
    > metal-hooded connector. The other end is a 50-pin Centronics connector
    > with a molded hood. I've never owned a VAXstation, but I did haul away a
    > certain amount of cables that would have otherwise been discarded. The
    > usual advice is to get a 3 foot cable if that is sufficient length, since
    > it will allow more devices on the SCSI bus before reaching the
    > specification maximum.
    >
    > Tad

  6. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    writes:

    > From further research it sounds like I need a BC09J or a BC56H, can anyone
    > confirm this? Can't find any on eBay :-(

    I am using a BC56H.

    > "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    > wrote in message news:evra72$j6i$1@online.de...
    > > In article , "Robert Jarratt"
    > > writes:
    > >
    > >> I have a VAXstation 3100 M38 and a storage expansion unit in a BA42
    > >> enclosure. The expansion box has a 50-pin SCSI connector that I am
    > >> familiar
    > >> with, but I am not familiar with the small 68-pin connector on the
    > >> VAXstation itself. I am not sure therefore what cable to look for, can
    > >> anyone tell me?

    > > It is a SCSI cable, but unique to the VAXstations.

  7. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    Yes, it is 68-pin female and 50-pin male. And yes, I'm preparded to sell
    it.

    Tad

    "Robert Jarratt" wrote in

    > If the 68-pin connector is female and the 50-pin one is male then that
    > sounds right. If so, are you prepared to sell your cable?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > "Tad Winters" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9912BA92E722Dstaffordnospamwinter@130.81.6 4.196...
    >> "Robert Jarratt" wrote in
    >>
    >>> From further research it sounds like I need a BC09J or a BC56H, can
    >>> anyone confirm this? Can't find any on eBay :-(
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>
    >>> "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    >>> wrote in message

    >> I'm looking here at a cable tagged as BC56H-06. One end is a 68-pin,
    >> metal-hooded connector. The other end is a 50-pin Centronics
    >> connector with a molded hood. I've never owned a VAXstation, but I
    >> did haul away a certain amount of cables that would have otherwise
    >> been discarded. The usual advice is to get a 3 foot cable if that is
    >> sufficient length, since it will allow more devices on the SCSI bus
    >> before reaching the specification maximum.
    >>
    >> Tad

  8. Re: What cable for VAXstation 3100 and storage expansion?

    To avoid spamming this newsgroup I replied direct to your email address a
    few days ago regarding the purchase of your cable but have not seen a reply,
    so if you want to get in touch regarding this contact me at rob_j37, which
    is on hotmail.

    news:Xns99134DF0B3E83staffordnospamwinter@130.81.6 4.196...
    > Yes, it is 68-pin female and 50-pin male. And yes, I'm preparded to sell
    > it.
    >
    > Tad
    >
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote in
    >
    >> If the 68-pin connector is female and the 50-pin one is male then that
    >> sounds right. If so, are you prepared to sell your cable?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>
    >> "Tad Winters" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9912BA92E722Dstaffordnospamwinter@130.81.6 4.196...
    >>> "Robert Jarratt" wrote in

    >>> I'm looking here at a cable tagged as BC56H-06. One end is a 68-pin,
    >>> metal-hooded connector. The other end is a 50-pin Centronics
    >>> connector with a molded hood. I've never owned a VAXstation, but I
    >>> did haul away a certain amount of cables that would have otherwise
    >>> been discarded. The usual advice is to get a 3 foot cable if that is
    >>> sufficient length, since it will allow more devices on the SCSI bus
    >>> before reaching the specification maximum.
    >>>
    >>> Tad

+ Reply to Thread