VAXstation 3100 M38 Console Port - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXstation 3100 M38 Console Port - DEC ; I have managed to acquire a VAXstation 3100 M38. I do not know if it works, but it does power up and the diagnostic lights on the back panel light up. I do not have a VAXstation monitor and want ...

  1. VAXstation 3100 M38 Console Port

    I have managed to acquire a VAXstation 3100 M38. I do not know if it works,
    but it does power up and the diagnostic lights on the back panel light up. I
    do not have a VAXstation monitor and want to connect my PC running a
    terminal emulator to the console port. I have a DECconnect Office Cable and
    the relevant adapters to convert to D-sub, and the cable is plugged into the
    printer port on the VAX.

    I am not having much luck, I have a breakout box which shows the VAX
    asserting DSR and DCD, but I do not get any characters back from the VAX,
    nor does it react to me hitting ENTER. Assuming that the machine is working,
    two things could be wrong, 1) I need to tell the machine to use the console
    rather than the monitor, but I am told that if there is no monitor attached
    then it should use the printer/console port anyway 2) I do not have the
    right port settings, I have tried all speeds from 110 up to 9600, always no
    parity and 8 bit, what settings should I be using?

    Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Console Port

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have managed to acquire a VAXstation 3100 M38. I do not know if it works,
    > but it does power up and the diagnostic lights on the back panel light up. I
    > do not have a VAXstation monitor and want to connect my PC running a
    > terminal emulator to the console port. I have a DECconnect Office Cable and
    > the relevant adapters to convert to D-sub, and the cable is plugged into the
    > printer port on the VAX.
    >
    > I am not having much luck, I have a breakout box which shows the VAX
    > asserting DSR and DCD, but I do not get any characters back from the VAX,
    > nor does it react to me hitting ENTER. Assuming that the machine is working,
    > two things could be wrong, 1) I need to tell the machine to use the console
    > rather than the monitor, but I am told that if there is no monitor attached
    > then it should use the printer/console port anyway 2) I do not have the
    > right port settings, I have tried all speeds from 110 up to 9600, always no
    > parity and 8 bit, what settings should I be using?
    >
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    On the back of the 3100 M38, there is a little switch labeled S3. Not
    all the cases have a hole in the back for this switch. You may need to
    open the case to find it.

    One position select the graphics head for the console and the other
    selects the printer (I think) port for the console.

    No the 3100 M38, you need to have a keyboard attached if you want VMS to
    license it as a VAXstation. This is true even if you are using a
    terminal or PC as the console. If you don't have a keyboard attached,
    it will be identified as a VAXserver.

    Good luck!

    Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

    Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    Fax: 817-237-3074

  3. Re: VAXstation 3100 M38 Console Port

    "Chris Scheers" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I have managed to acquire a VAXstation 3100 M38. I do not know if it
    >> works, but it does power up and the diagnostic lights on the back panel
    >> light up. I do not have a VAXstation monitor and want to connect my PC
    >> running a terminal emulator to the console port. I have a DECconnect
    >> Office Cable and the relevant adapters to convert to D-sub, and the cable
    >> is plugged into the printer port on the VAX.
    >>
    >> I am not having much luck, I have a breakout box which shows the VAX
    >> asserting DSR and DCD, but I do not get any characters back from the VAX,
    >> nor does it react to me hitting ENTER. Assuming that the machine is
    >> working, two things could be wrong, 1) I need to tell the machine to use
    >> the console rather than the monitor, but I am told that if there is no
    >> monitor attached then it should use the printer/console port anyway 2) I
    >> do not have the right port settings, I have tried all speeds from 110 up
    >> to 9600, always no parity and 8 bit, what settings should I be using?
    >>
    >> Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    > On the back of the 3100 M38, there is a little switch labeled S3. Not all
    > the cases have a hole in the back for this switch. You may need to open
    > the case to find it.
    >
    > One position select the graphics head for the console and the other
    > selects the printer (I think) port for the console.
    >
    > No the 3100 M38, you need to have a keyboard attached if you want VMS to
    > license it as a VAXstation. This is true even if you are using a terminal
    > or PC as the console. If you don't have a keyboard attached, it will be
    > identified as a VAXserver.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.
    >
    > Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: chris@applied-synergy.com
    > Fax: 817-237-3074

    Thanks, I am now able to communicate with the diagnostics etc. Thanks for
    the tip about VAXstation and VAXserver. I don't have a keyboard or a
    monitor, but a VAXserver will probably be fine for my purposes (I think).

    Regards

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread