Identify this mystery DEC control panel - DEC

This is a discussion on Identify this mystery DEC control panel - DEC ; In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes: > In article , Al Kossow writes: > > The Smithsonian had a blue PDP-15 on display in the Museum of > American History, but that's closed for massive renovation now so > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

  1. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:
    > In article <46114284$0$16355$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>, Al Kossow writes:
    >
    > The Smithsonian had a blue PDP-15 on display in the Museum of
    > American History, but that's closed for massive renovation now so
    > we can't just drop in and compare. Maybe someone has another shot
    > of a PDP-15?

    I worked with PDP-15s a lot early in my carreer, and still
    have quite a bit of documentation on them. I'm also familiar
    with some of the third-party replacement machines (primarily
    built for the typesetting industry), and several of the hybrid
    systems that incorporated PDP-15s.

    I'm certain this panel did not come from a PDP-15, or any of
    the hybrids or combination machines. The part of the display
    which allocates bits for a register is enough to remove it from
    any of the 18 bit DEC family, and other items on the panel also
    put it far away from this family of machines.

    There is a good book (can't remember the title, but I have a
    copy at home) that gives the history and design of all of DEC's
    systems at least through the VAX. Perhaps someone can find a
    match here. Otherwise, it was a 'one-off', or it isn't a DEC
    machine at all, as others have suggested.

    --
    B. Z. Lederman. My personal opinions.

  2. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article <39u413tjbds69rkbd6d22gpg530f6mmeae@4ax.com>, John Everett writes:

    > After posting the above I've had a look at the panel again and I'm
    > wondering if it's from DEC at all. It has a display for Program Status
    > Word, but I don't recall ever hearing that term at DEC. We usually
    > used PC (Program Counter). I also recall SC (Sequence Counter) but I
    > don't think that was a DEC term. PSW sounds like IBM to me.

    PDP-11 have PSW. VAXen have a PSW in thier PSL.

  3. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article <1175656038.539676.206340@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>, "bill Johnson" writes:

    > Could it be from a DECsystem-10 (KL or KI-10) processor...

    Only if they left out 4 bits on each row of the display. There are
    clearly 32 bits displayed, PDP-10 variants were all 36 bit.

  4. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    lederman@encompasserve.org (B. Z. Lederman) writes:
    > There is a good book (can't remember the title, but I have a
    > copy at home) that gives the history and design of all of DEC's
    > systems at least through the VAX. Perhaps someone can find a
    > match here. Otherwise, it was a 'one-off', or it isn't a DEC
    > machine at all, as others have suggested.

    Are you thinking of "Computer Engineering -- A DEC View of Hardware
    Systems Design" (Bell, Mudge, McNamara) 1978; ISBN 1-55558-021-1?

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  5. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    -- Patrick

  6. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article , kkt wrote:
    >The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    >There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    >there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    like?

    I would agree that I don't think this is actual DEC manufacture, and
    it does sure look like a Sigma, but the styling is very DEC.
    --scott

  7. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    kkt wrote:
    > The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    > There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    > there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    I am absolutely certain this was made by DEC. It matches the materials
    and paints the DEC panel shop used, and will fit into the cast frame that
    were used by the PDP-9L, and 15.

    Why it was made is the mystery.

    Bob Supnik pointed out that PSW2 doesn't match any known Sigma
    implementation. The instruction word and PSW1 do match.

    I got mail back from someone familiar with Sigma clones, and he's
    never seen a panel like this either.

  8. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:35:39 -0700, Scott Dorsey wrote:

    > In article , kkt wrote:
    >> The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    >> There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    >> there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    > Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    > company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    > like?

    Wasn't CCI the only 32bit they built was the Power 6, and that was not it's
    console, at least not one the one I had. Maybe you meant CII?

    > I would agree that I don't think this is actual DEC manufacture, and
    > it does sure look like a Sigma, but the styling is very DEC.
    > --scott

  9. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article ,
    Tom Linden wrote:
    >On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 09:35:39 -0700, Scott Dorsey wrote:
    >
    >> In article , kkt wrote:
    >>> The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    >>> There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    >>> there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    >> Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    >> company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    >> like?

    >Wasn't CCI the only 32bit they built was the Power 6, and that was not it's
    >console, at least not one the one I had. Maybe you meant CII?

    It's pretty clear this isn't anything they ever made as a production item,
    but I'm willing to bet whoever did make it did not make it as a production
    item.
    --scott

  10. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    On Apr 4, 12:35 pm, klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
    > In article , kkt wrote:
    > >The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    > >There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    > >there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    > Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    > company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    > like?

    Was CCI associated with/morphed into Belobox (who I know sold Sigma
    clones and was also in Irvine) maybe? I recall some connection from
    the 80's but unlike many other things I have a vague memory of, I
    cannot say what the connection was.

    Tim.

    In alt.sys.pdp11 shoppa@trailing-edge.com wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 12:35 pm, klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
    > > In article , kkt wrote:
    > > >The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    > > >There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    > > >there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    > > Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    > > company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    > > like?

    > Was CCI associated with/morphed into Belobox (who I know sold Sigma
    > clones and was also in Irvine) maybe? I recall some connection from
    > the 80's but unlike many other things I have a vague memory of, I
    > cannot say what the connection was.

    By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    a cute little front panel...

    Cheers,
    -RK

    --
    Robert Krten, Antique computer collector looking for PDP-8 and PDP-8/S
    minicomputers; check out their "good home" at www.parse.com/~museum

  12. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article ,
    Robert Krten wrote:
    >In alt.sys.pdp11 shoppa@trailing-edge.com wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    >> > company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    >> > like?

    >> Was CCI associated with/morphed into Belobox (who I know sold Sigma
    >> clones and was also in Irvine) maybe? I recall some connection from
    >> the 80's but unlike many other things I have a vague memory of, I
    >> cannot say what the connection was.

    >By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    >where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    >a cute little front panel...

    I meant Computer Consoles, Inc. I didn't know about the Ottawa guys!
    --scott

  13. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    On Apr 4, 2:35 pm, info2...@parse.com (Robert Krten) wrote:
    > In alt.sys.pdp11 sho...@trailing-edge.com wrote:

    > > > Here is a good guess: how about a prototype Sigma clone, made by a
    > > > company that was already in the DEC clone business, like CCI or the
    > > > like?

    > > Was CCI associated with/morphed into Belobox (who I know sold Sigma
    > > clones and was also in Irvine) maybe? I recall some connection from
    > > the 80's but unlike many other things I have a vague memory of, I
    > > cannot say what the connection was.

    > By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    > where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    > a cute little front panel...

    I think I meant "Computer Consoles Incorporated" or maybe "Computer
    Consoles Irvine", but you can correct my failing memory if I'm wrong!

    They made PDP-11-controlled phone and dispatching systems, the 6/32
    CPU (aka "Tahoe" as in "4.3 BSD - Tahoe") computer systems, and were
    active in some early 680x0-based Unix ports. Some of their hardware
    looked surprisingly like the Sigma clones that Belobox made (maybe
    just choice of VME form factor, not a surprising choice in the 80's?)

    Tim.

  14. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    John Everett wrote:

    > Also on the panel there's "Memory Port" and three abbreviations under
    > it, PROC (Processor), DCH (Data Channel), and BKM (Block Multiplexor).
    > These are also very IBMish terms.

    The term 'Memory' doesn't sound IBMish, they would call it 'Storage'.

  15. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    Al Kossow writes:

    > kkt wrote:

    >> The original poster might try posting to alt.folklore.computers.
    >> There's a lot more people reading it and if it's a non-DEC part
    >> there's a decent chance one of them might have seen it.

    > I am absolutely certain this was made by DEC. It matches the
    > materials and paints the DEC panel shop used, and will fit into the
    > cast frame that were used by the PDP-9L, and 15.

    But the tiny details like the corner radii does not seem quite right.

    > Why it was made is the mystery.

    Say that again!

    > Bob Supnik pointed out that PSW2 doesn't match any known Sigma
    > implementation. The instruction word and PSW1 do match.

    > I got mail back from someone familiar with Sigma clones, and he's
    > never seen a panel like this either.

    I was interested to see the PDP and EMUL status lights. EMULate what??

  16. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:41:56 -0700, Scott Dorsey wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Robert Krten wrote:

    >>> Was CCI associated with/morphed into Belobox (who I know sold Sigma
    >>> clones and was also in Irvine) maybe? I recall some connection from
    >>> the 80's but unlike many other things I have a vague memory of, I
    >>> cannot say what the connection was.

    >> By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    >> where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    >> a cute little front panel...

    > I meant Computer Consoles, Inc. I didn't know about the Ottawa guys!
    > --scott

    CCI built 411 systems for the phones companies initiallt based on PDP-11
    then around 1982 or so they started to build a box called the Power 5 based
    on 68K processor and shortly thereafter the Power 6/32 which was an
    original
    design with a VAX-like instruction set with Big Endian addressing. It was
    supposed to be a VAX killer, and they had some modicum of success with it,
    I supplied PL/I Fortran and Pascal for it.

  17. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:47:12 -0700, wrote:

    > On Apr 4, 2:35 pm, info2...@parse.com (Robert Krten) wrote:

    >> > Was CCI associated with/morphed into Belobox (who I know sold Sigma
    >> > clones and was also in Irvine) maybe? I recall some connection from
    >> > the 80's but unlike many other things I have a vague memory of, I
    >> > cannot say what the connection was.

    >> By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    >> where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    >> a cute little front panel...

    > I think I meant "Computer Consoles Incorporated" or maybe "Computer
    > Consoles Irvine", but you can correct my failing memory if I'm wrong!

    The former, they were located in Irvine, they acquired the old Varian
    buildings from Univax(I think) and there may have been a connection to
    SDS

    > They made PDP-11-controlled phone and dispatching systems, the 6/32
    > CPU (aka "Tahoe" as in "4.3 BSD - Tahoe") computer systems, and were
    > active in some early 680x0-based Unix ports. Some of their hardware
    > looked surprisingly like the Sigma clones that Belobox made (maybe
    > just choice of VME form factor, not a surprising choice in the 80's?)
    >
    > Tim.

  18. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article ,
    Robert Krten wrote:

    >By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    >where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    >a cute little front panel...

    Like this?

    http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~bfkorvem/di...6/dscf0031.jpg

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  19. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    "David Evans" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Robert Krten wrote:
    >>
    >>By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    >>where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    >>a cute little front panel...
    >>

    > Like this?
    >
    > http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~bfkorvem/di...6/dscf0031.jpg

    That IS kinda cute. Was it hardware compatible with the 8e/f/m as well?

  20. Re: Identify this mystery DEC control panel

    In article ,
    Micheal H. McCabe wrote:

    >"David Evans" wrote in message
    >> In article ,
    >> Robert Krten wrote:
    >>>
    >>>By CCI do you mean "Consolidated Computer Inc" ? They made terminals,
    >>>where based in Ottawa, and had a PDP-8 clone in the (mid?) 70's with
    >>>a cute little front panel...
    >>>

    >> Like this?
    >>
    >> http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~bfkorvem/di...6/dscf0031.jpg

    >That IS kinda cute. Was it hardware compatible with the 8e/f/m as well?

    I've no idea. A decade or so ago a mate of mine found a pair in a
    farmer's field:

    http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~bfkorvem/digital/JUNK.jpg