AS600: Running without B-cache? - DEC

This is a discussion on AS600: Running without B-cache? - DEC ; It seems my "history" with dear Ravel doesn't end yet. Two days ago, I was surprised to see Alpha suddenly freeze. After managing to boot it again (basically cooling it off) I saw system messages log: vmunix: WARNING: too many ...

  1. AS600: Running without B-cache?

    It seems my "history" with dear Ravel doesn't end yet.
    Two days ago, I was surprised to see Alpha suddenly freeze.
    After managing to boot it again (basically cooling it off)
    I saw system messages log:

    vmunix: WARNING: too many Processor corrected errors detected on cpu 0. Reporting suspended.
    That started to happening an hour before machine suddenly
    froze. It did that again today, but this time, it was
    allways giving up with self test error f5. I reseated the
    cache modules and so far the nachine's running, but in case
    it will be failing again I have a question:

    - Will the machine boot without one or more B-cache modules?
    - if so, what performance penalty I can expect?

    Rambo

  2. Re: AS600: Running without B-cache?

    On Mar 21, 3:22 pm, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski
    wrote:
    > It seems my "history" with dear Ravel doesn't end yet.
    > Two days ago, I was surprised to see Alpha suddenly freeze.
    > After managing to boot it again (basically cooling it off)
    > I saw system messages log:
    >
    > vmunix: WARNING: too many Processor corrected errors detected on cpu 0. Reporting suspended.
    > That started to happening an hour before machine suddenly
    > froze. It did that again today, but this time, it was
    > allways giving up with self test error f5. I reseated the
    > cache modules and so far the nachine's running, but in case
    > it will be failing again I have a question:
    >
    > - Will the machine boot without one or more B-cache modules?
    > - if so, what performance penalty I can expect?
    >
    > Rambo

    I would expect you will have to remove all the cache chips or leave
    them all in. See the user guide at http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...800-ui-b01.pdf
    I'm not certain from that if the cache has to be installed at all, but
    it won't work with less than all three chips installed.

    I would expect a major performance hit without cache, assuming the
    system runs. My PWS600au initially came without the 4MB cache option
    and it was quite leisurely for decwindows operations, and got snappy
    when it was installed. I never ran benchmarks though.

  3. Re: AS600: Running without B-cache?

    Thanks,

    As it turns out, after reseating DRAMs, the machine upbeats with
    stability. In fact it would be in its 6th day of uptime if I
    wouldn't bring it down to insert a new drive, NCR SE-SCSI board
    (which doesn't work anyway- at least both VMS and Tru64 ignore
    it) and DE500 (second- the machine now has three NICs), but
    even after reboot, it's bloody unbreakable...

    hey, try this- VNC 193.0.79.157:1 :-D

+ Reply to Thread