Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing) - DEC

This is a discussion on Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing) - DEC ; Well, since the group got filled with provocative posts lately, I guess I'll put my three cents worth HP-bashing post... As you already know, I had problem with booting the AS600 (btw, it's now a dual-boot machine- VMS 7.3-1 and ...

  1. Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    Well, since the group got filled with provocative posts lately, I guess I'll put my three cents worth HP-bashing post...

    As you already know, I had problem with booting the AS600 (btw, it's now a dual-boot machine- VMS 7.3-1 and OSF1 5.1), and since I also resurrected another of two HP Allegros C3600 (but they share a _single_ processor now)- so I put a service request to HP tech. support.
    A really nice guy took the request, explained the procedure (just in case I'd not want to spend my yearly income on fixing $30 things- well, ok, one was a $60 thing).
    He though suggested contacting helpdesk when I asked about availability of hobbyist programs for HP-UX i Tru64.

    The helpdesk chat was something about like this:
    - [blahblah], how can I help you?
    - Good afternoon, I'd like to ask about availability of HP-UX and Tru64 for hobbyists, enthusiasts, people like that.
    - [a short silence] But we don't sell UNIces...
    - I don't mean UNIX, I mean HP-UX...
    - well, but UNIX is not a HP product, U-X, I recall...

    [I began looking after my jaw on the floor]

    - Ma'am, HP-UX...
    - Please don't make fun of me! Please explain...
    - Ma'am, HP-UX is a HP product for workstations...
    - We don't sell operating systems [click]

    Anyone still wonders why HP's loosing market share?

    Rambo

  2. Re: Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    Well, HP may not be losing market share. HP overtook Dell as #1 seller of
    computers last time results were measured. But even more to the point, how can
    HP maintain market share with this level of ignorance among their employees and
    contractors? ... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:42:54 +0100, Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski
    wrote:

    >Well, since the group got filled with provocative posts lately, I guess I'll put my three cents worth HP-bashing post...
    >
    >As you already know, I had problem with booting the AS600 (btw, it's now a dual-boot machine- VMS 7.3-1 and OSF1 5.1), and since I also resurrected another of two HP Allegros C3600 (but they share a _single_ processor now)- so I put a service request to HP tech. support.
    >A really nice guy took the request, explained the procedure (just in case I'd not want to spend my yearly income on fixing $30 things- well, ok, one was a $60 thing).
    >He though suggested contacting helpdesk when I asked about availability of hobbyist programs for HP-UX i Tru64.
    >
    >The helpdesk chat was something about like this:
    >- [blahblah], how can I help you?
    >- Good afternoon, I'd like to ask about availability of HP-UX and Tru64 for hobbyists, enthusiasts, people like that.
    >- [a short silence] But we don't sell UNIces...
    >- I don't mean UNIX, I mean HP-UX...
    >- well, but UNIX is not a HP product, U-X, I recall...
    >
    >[I began looking after my jaw on the floor]
    >
    >- Ma'am, HP-UX...
    >- Please don't make fun of me! Please explain...
    >- Ma'am, HP-UX is a HP product for workstations...
    >- We don't sell operating systems [click]
    >
    >Anyone still wonders why HP's loosing market share?
    >
    >Rambo

  3. Re: Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski writes:

    > AS600 (btw, it's now a dual-boot machine- VMS 7.3-1 and OSF1 5.1),

    > hobbyist programs for HP-UX i Tru64.

    Apropos of very little other than OSes on an AS600: after a little
    messing around, Gentoo Linux installs and builds quite reasonably on
    one. $30 things? My AS600 was free although, I must admit, I paid
    for a SATA card to plug in to it.

    By The Way, installing Gentoo (and other non-commercial OS
    distributions) means never having to call the Helldesk. And
    virtualization almost frees you from "that won't run here".

    mlp

  4. Re: Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    In article , Ben Myers writes:
    > Well, HP may not be losing market share. HP overtook Dell as #1 seller of
    > computers last time results were measured. But even more to the point, how can
    > HP maintain market share with this level of ignorance among their employees and
    > contractors? ... Ben Myers

    Is HP really the #1 seller of computers. Maybe PCs, but I once heard that
    Delco was #1, making all the engine and other computers for all GM cars
    worldwide. GM may not be what it once was, but everyone has a car or
    three...

    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

  5. Re: Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    Well, that's what the trade rags and general news media are reporting, based
    only on sales of new computers. Now one can question whether or not to trust
    the media, but I would trust them before I would trust figures cooked up by any
    of the name brand companies, or the US federal government, for that matter.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 19 Mar 2007 14:41:30 -0500, kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow)
    wrote:

    >In article , Ben Myers writes:
    >> Well, HP may not be losing market share. HP overtook Dell as #1 seller of
    >> computers last time results were measured. But even more to the point, how can
    >> HP maintain market share with this level of ignorance among their employees and
    >> contractors? ... Ben Myers

    >Is HP really the #1 seller of computers. Maybe PCs, but I once heard that
    >Delco was #1, making all the engine and other computers for all GM cars
    >worldwide. GM may not be what it once was, but everyone has a car or
    >three...

  6. OT: Tape Stuff

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    > [snip]

    Bob,

    Did you ever find someone to help with your DLT-III question?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  7. Re: Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

    > Is HP really the #1 seller of computers. Maybe PCs, but I once heard that
    > Delco was #1, making all the engine and other computers for all GM cars
    > worldwide. GM may not be what it once was, but everyone has a car or
    > three...

    From that point of view, perhaps Intel is the #1 seller of computers.
    You have to define "computer" first, and marketing will pick what
    makes themselves sound best.

  8. Re: Helpdesk fun... :-D (HP bashing)

    Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski wrote:

    > Well, since the group got filled with provocative posts lately, I guess I'll put my three cents worth HP-bashing post...
    >
    > As you already know, I had problem with booting the AS600 (btw, it's now a dual-boot machine- VMS 7.3-1 and OSF1 5.1), and since I also resurrected another of two HP Allegros C3600 (but they share a _single_ processor now)- so I put a service request to HP tech. support.
    > A really nice guy took the request, explained the procedure (just in case I'd not want to spend my yearly income on fixing $30 things- well, ok, one was a $60 thing).
    > He though suggested contacting helpdesk when I asked about availability of hobbyist programs for HP-UX i Tru64.
    >
    > The helpdesk chat was something about like this:
    > - [blahblah], how can I help you?
    > - Good afternoon, I'd like to ask about availability of HP-UX and Tru64 for hobbyists, enthusiasts, people like that.
    > - [a short silence] But we don't sell UNIces...
    > - I don't mean UNIX, I mean HP-UX...
    > - well, but UNIX is not a HP product, U-X, I recall...
    >
    > [I began looking after my jaw on the floor]
    >
    > - Ma'am, HP-UX...
    > - Please don't make fun of me! Please explain...
    > - Ma'am, HP-UX is a HP product for workstations...
    > - We don't sell operating systems [click]
    >
    > Anyone still wonders why HP's loosing market share?
    >
    > Rambo

    I forwarded your message to someone internal to HP who would like specifics such
    as the case number, etc. Would you be willing to correspond with me privately?

    djesys at comcast dot net will get us connected.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/