Hardware TPU? - DEC

This is a discussion on Hardware TPU? - DEC ; Apologies up-front for the cross-posting. I'm trying to track down details regarding a DEC hardware text processing unit. Did such a thing ever exist? If so, where can I find details? Kind regards, Bruce M. Axtens Software Engineer Strapper Technologies...

  1. Hardware TPU?

    Apologies up-front for the cross-posting.

    I'm trying to track down details regarding a DEC hardware text
    processing unit. Did such a thing ever exist? If so, where can I find
    details?

    Kind regards,
    Bruce M. Axtens
    Software Engineer
    Strapper Technologies

  2. Re: Hardware TPU?

    axtens wrote:
    > Apologies up-front for the cross-posting.
    >
    > I'm trying to track down details regarding a DEC hardware text
    > processing unit. Did such a thing ever exist? If so, where can I find
    > details?

    There was the DECTalk, which was a box that took text in via RS-232
    and put voice out.

    Various CPU's had incredibly CISCy string-processing instructions
    (e.g. the VAX "find string and replace" machine instruction.)

    They made/sold typesetting systems, e.g. DECset.

    Tim.

  3. Re: Hardware TPU?

    shoppa@trailing-edge.com wrote:
    > axtens wrote:
    >> Apologies up-front for the cross-posting.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to track down details regarding a DEC hardware text
    >> processing unit. Did such a thing ever exist? If so, where can I find
    >> details?

    > There was the DECTalk, which was a box that took text in via RS-232
    > and put voice out.
    >
    > Various CPU's had incredibly CISCy string-processing instructions
    > (e.g. the VAX "find string and replace" machine instruction.)
    >
    > They made/sold typesetting systems, e.g. DECset.
    >
    > Tim.

    I am not sure what you mean by text processing. Tim covered a bunch of
    options but there was also an add in Qbus board by a third party that
    was used for processing text similar to the Logicon Message Dissm
    system, LMDS, it was built in the UK I think, if you need more info, I
    can look up the rest of the data.
    bob

  4. Re: Hardware TPU?

    Thanks everyone for the response. What I was after was information
    gleaned from the PDP11 group regarding a plug-in chipset that did for
    text what an FPU does for floating-point.

    1. " ... [T]his was a microcode option for PDP11/23-11/24 machines,
    and it's an optional set of cards (KE44-A) for 11/44s ..."
    2. "... [I]t's an option on the /23+ CPU card, as well as one or two
    other options. They are chips that plug in. ..."

    Kind regards,
    Bruce.

  5. Re: Hardware TPU?

    axtens wrote:

    > Thanks everyone for the response. What I was after was information
    > gleaned from the PDP11 group regarding a plug-in chipset that did for
    > text what an FPU does for floating-point.
    >
    > 1. " ... [T]his was a microcode option for PDP11/23-11/24 machines,
    > and it's an optional set of cards (KE44-A) for 11/44s ..."
    > 2. "... [I]t's an option on the /23+ CPU card, as well as one or two
    > other options. They are chips that plug in. ..."
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Bruce.

    That sounds like the Commercial Instruction Set (CIS) that was available for
    the 11/44 and some other -11s. I think it just added some string
    instructions, but that's all I know about it.
    --

    Stu

  6. Re: Hardware TPU?

    In article <1173912139.259147.123510@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    shoppa@trailing-edge.com wrote:
    >axtens wrote:
    >> Apologies up-front for the cross-posting.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to track down details regarding a DEC hardware text
    >> processing unit. Did such a thing ever exist? If so, where can I find
    >> details?

    >There was the DECTalk, which was a box that took text in via RS-232
    >and put voice out.

    JMF did some work on that; he was mainly their guinea pig. The box
    he had didn't have enough power to produce loud volume which
    was needed in any noisy environment such as a machine room or
    any meeting.

    >Various CPU's had incredibly CISCy string-processing instructions
    >(e.g. the VAX "find string and replace" machine instruction.)
    >
    >They made/sold typesetting systems, e.g. DECset.

    /BAH

  7. Re: Hardware TPU?

    > That sounds like the Commercial Instruction Set (CIS) that was available for
    > the 11/44 and some other -11s. I think it just added some string
    > instructions, but that's all I know about it.
    > --
    >
    > Stu

    I don't have my PDP-11 Architecture Handbook nearby, but I found a
    copy of the KDF-11BA CPU Module Users Guide at
    http://bitsavers.vt100.net/dec/pdp11...sersManual.pdf.

    The CIS includes instructions for
    * arithmetic on packed strings (ADDP, SUBP, MULP, DIVP, CMPP, ASHP)
    and numeric strings (ADDN, SUBN, CMPN, ASHN)
    * converting between packed, numeric, and 32-bit long integer
    formats
    * character string manipulation (LOCC, SKPC, SCANC, SPANC, CMPC,
    MATC)

    There are versions of these instructions for inline data, and for data
    referenced by 32-bit descriptor.

    Check the link above for more complete information. It's a PDF of the
    scanned original document.

  8. Re: Hardware TPU?

    In article <1173920511.693759.202150@p15g2000hsd.googlegroups. com>, "axtens" writes:
    > Thanks everyone for the response. What I was after was information
    > gleaned from the PDP11 group regarding a plug-in chipset that did for
    > text what an FPU does for floating-point.
    >
    > 1. " ... [T]his was a microcode option for PDP11/23-11/24 machines,
    > and it's an optional set of cards (KE44-A) for 11/44s ..."
    > 2. "... [I]t's an option on the /23+ CPU card, as well as one or two
    > other options. They are chips that plug in. ..."

    Early PDP-11 had options for both floating point hardware and
    commercial instruction set hardware. The former was a required
    part if you wanted to use the Fortran compiler and the latter if
    you wanted to use the Cobol compiler. String manipulation was one
    of the features of the commercial instruction set.

    Later PDP-11 had these options built into their chips and in the
    middle of the two were PDP-11 for which these features were standard
    although on separate chips.

  9. Re: Hardware TPU?

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > Early PDP-11 had options for both floating point hardware and
    > commercial instruction set hardware.

    [...]
    > Later PDP-11 had these options built into their chips and in the
    > middle of the two were PDP-11 for which these features were standard
    > although on separate chips.

    FPP instructions were only standard on the 11/60, and the J11 processor
    as used in the 11/53, 11/73, 11/83, 11/84, 11/93, and 11/94. Those were
    "soft" (microcoded) FPPs, and there were higher performance hardware FPP
    options for those machines.

    CIS was not a standard feature on any PDP-11, nor was it part of
    any PDP-11 base chipset.

    CIS for the F11 chipset, as used in the 11/23, 11/23+, and 11/24, was
    the KEF11-BB option, a plug in ceramic hybrid circuit with six
    suface-mounted chips. It occupied two of the 40-pin MICROM sockets on
    the CPU module.

    CIS for the 11/44 was the KE44-A option, consisting of the the M7091 and
    M7092 modules. For the unreleased 11/74, it was the KE74-A option,
    consisting of the M8165-YA, M8165-YB, M8166, M8167, and M8168 modules.

    The J11 processor was originally planned to have CIS, but it was
    dropped.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread