OT: Proposed additions to the PDP11 instruction set - DEC

This is a discussion on OT: Proposed additions to the PDP11 instruction set - DEC ; >> I still have the "ASCII art" moon, etc. on a 9-trk IBM labeled tape, but >> the last of the IBM 3420 drives left here a long time ago. Recently saw a video from the singer "Beck". Don't know ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: OT: Proposed additions to the PDP11 instruction set

    >> I still have the "ASCII art" moon, etc. on a 9-trk IBM labeled tape, but
    >> the last of the IBM 3420 drives left here a long time ago.

    Recently saw a video from the singer "Beck". Don't know the title of the song.
    But it was video transformed into animated ascii art. (eg: each frame converted
    to asci art based on the original image.). At one point, they "zoom out" to
    make each character smaller and the resolution of the image becomes much higher
    and almost like an image.

  2. Re: OT: Proposed additions to the PDP11 instruction set

    In article <1173295765.121929.108690@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:

    >There were two things about some of the old band printers depending
    >upon the carriage control tape loaded into them. You could actually
    >backspace the printer 1 line, I think by including a "-" in the first
    >column (carriage control) field rather than the typical space. Every
    >now and again, someone would do that.

    >The other thing people would do (myself included) is print some of the
    >"ASCII art" pictures (moon, spock, golden gate, kitten, etc). The Ops
    >would hate it, everyone else would want you to print a copy for them.

    Combining these ideas, you could get reasonable greyscale pictures
    using carriage control to effect judicious overstrike. At Guelph we
    used to posters three stories high, putting them up in the glassed-in
    stairway in the CS building.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/