Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners - DEC

This is a discussion on Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners - DEC ; Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ??? I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help. All OSes welcome! Regards Ulli...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???

    I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    All OSes welcome!

    Regards

    Ulli

  2. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    In article <1172833456.664174.120990@8g2000cwh.googlegroups.co m>,
    vaxorcist wrote:
    >Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >
    >I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >All OSes welcome!

    I think NetBSD runs on it--I believe it's the slowest machine
    supported by any of their architectures.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  3. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    On Mar 2, 5:18 am, dfev...@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote:
    > In article <1172833456.664174.120...@8g2000cwh.googlegroups.co m>,
    >
    > vaxorcist wrote:
    > >Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???

    > >I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    > >All OSes welcome!

    > I think NetBSD runs on it--I believe it's the slowest machine
    > supported by any of their architectures.

    I had one once... I had to gently tease VMSKITBLD on a VAX 3100 to
    create a set of 5-1/4" floppies I could use to install OpenVMS on the
    thing (V5.5, I think). I think it took over 35 floppies. Good
    times...

  4. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    davidc@montagar.com was thinking very hard :
    > On Mar 2, 5:18 am, dfev...@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote:
    >> In article <1172833456.664174.120...@8g2000cwh.googlegroups.co m>,
    >>
    >> vaxorcist wrote:
    >>> Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >>> I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >>> All OSes welcome!

    >> I think NetBSD runs on it--I believe it's the slowest machine
    >> supported by any of their architectures.

    > I had one once... I had to gently tease VMSKITBLD on a VAX 3100 to
    > create a set of 5-1/4" floppies I could use to install OpenVMS on the
    > thing (V5.5, I think). I think it took over 35 floppies. Good
    > times...

    Well... I still have a complete distribution of MicroVMS and Decnet
    on 5-1/4" floppies, on a shelf in my office.

    --
    Marc Van Dyck

  5. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    > Well... I still have a complete distribution of MicroVMS and Decnet
    > on 5-1/4" floppies, on a shelf in my office.

    Which versions and how many floppies each?

    Regards

    Ulli

  6. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    vaxorcist formulated on samedi :

    >> Well... I still have a complete distribution of MicroVMS and Decnet
    >> on 5-1/4" floppies, on a shelf in my office.
    >>

    > Which versions and how many floppies each?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ulli

    One version only. Number of floppies I don't know. They are with an
    orange sticker, except for the 2 Decnet which are grey. Will tell you
    all the détails on monday, now I'm at home. Have nothing to test
    whether
    the floppies can still be read, though...

    --
    Marc Van Dyck

  7. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    > Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >
    > I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    > All OSes welcome!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ulli

    Wan't the VAX-11/730 slower? I think it was about .3 VUP...

    When I installed bsd 4.1 (circa 1985, it was new!), the installation
    notes said the the 730 was not fast enough to be usefull.

    Sean

  8. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    sean@obanion.us wrote:
    > On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    >
    >>Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >>
    >>I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >>All OSes welcome!
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Ulli

    > Wan't the VAX-11/730 slower? I think it was about .3 VUP...
    >
    > When I installed bsd 4.1 (circa 1985, it was new!), the installation
    > notes said the the 730 was not fast enough to be usefull.
    >

    > Sean

    IIRC, the uVAX-I was ~1/3 VUP, the 730 (and the 725?) was ~1/2 VUP, the
    750 (and the obscure 751) ~ 2/3 VUP.

    I had a uVAX-I as my first home computer, DECnetted into the real VAXen
    at work. That uVAX-I was fast enough to do useful work, including
    compile/link/run FORTRAN apps.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  9. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    "vaxorcist" wrote in message
    news:1172833456.664174.120990@8g2000cwh.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >
    > I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    > All OSes welcome!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ulli

    I've got uV-I, uV-II and uV-III in my collection. I don't have the software
    kits, though and I don't know what shape my RD drives are in.

    John

  10. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    sean@obanion.us wrote in news:1172942091.825878.220890
    @h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    >> Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >>
    >> I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >> All OSes welcome!
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Ulli

    > Wan't the VAX-11/730 slower? I think it was about .3 VUP...
    >
    > When I installed bsd 4.1 (circa 1985, it was new!), the installation
    > notes said the the 730 was not fast enough to be usefull.
    >

    > Sean

    At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25 minutes to
    boot...and yes, that was from disk.

  11. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    Tad Winters wrote in
    news:Xns98E87B8D1A527staffordnospamwinter@130.81.6 4.196:

    > sean@obanion.us wrote in news:1172942091.825878.220890
    > @h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    >>> Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever
    >>> ???
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >>> All OSes welcome!
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Ulli

    >> Wan't the VAX-11/730 slower? I think it was about .3 VUP...
    >>
    >> When I installed bsd 4.1 (circa 1985, it was new!), the installation
    >> notes said the the 730 was not fast enough to be usefull.
    >>

    >> Sean
    >>

    > At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25
    > minutes to boot...and yes, that was from disk.

    Let me follow on to that by saying these systems had 20/20 (spreadsheet
    application) and WordPerfect installed and supported at least 6 concurrent
    users. I got them when they were retired, probably in the 1993 to 1994
    time frame.

  12. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    In article ,
    Tad Winters wrote:

    >At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25 minutes to
    >boot...and yes, that was from disk.

    I see your uV 2000s and raise you a Pro 350 running 2.9BSD. Now *that*
    was painful; you didn't make many mistakes, given how long it took to load
    vi.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge

  13. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    David Evans wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Tad Winters wrote:
    >
    >>At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25 minutes to
    >>boot...and yes, that was from disk.

    > I see your uV 2000s and raise you a Pro 350 running 2.9BSD. Now *that*
    > was painful; you didn't make many mistakes, given how long it took to load
    > vi.

    Wimp. I can tell that you never rebooted a PDP-8 from paper tape at 10 cps.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  14. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    In article <1172942091.825878.220890@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    sean@obanion.us writes:
    > On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    >> Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >>
    >> I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >> All OSes welcome!
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Ulli

    > Wan't the VAX-11/730 slower? I think it was about .3 VUP...
    >
    > When I installed bsd 4.1 (circa 1985, it was new!), the installation
    > notes said the the 730 was not fast enough to be usefull.

    A MicroVAX II running NetBSD is not fast enough to be useful but that
    doesn't seem to stop people from trying. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  15. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    In article ,
    Tad Winters wrote:

    > At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25 minutes to
    > boot...and yes, that was from disk.

    I found my VAXstation quite acceptable for editing and compilation,
    though I ran VWS rather than DECwindows.

    OTOH I was comparing it with a customer's 11/750. On a good day I could
    get through a quality newspaper while waiting for compiles; a bad day
    was painful.

    --
    Paul Sture

  16. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:32:04 UTC, Bob Willard
    wrote:

    > David Evans wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Tad Winters wrote:
    > >
    > >>At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25 minutes to
    > >>boot...and yes, that was from disk.

    > > I see your uV 2000s and raise you a Pro 350 running 2.9BSD. Now *that*
    > > was painful; you didn't make many mistakes, given how long it took to load
    > > vi.
    > >

    > Wimp. I can tell that you never rebooted a PDP-8 from paper tape at 10 cps.

    Lord that was looong time ago...

    Thank the lord for the 8" floppy disk....

    --
    Cheers - Dave W.

  17. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    In article ,
    Bob Willard wrote:
    >David Evans wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Tad Winters wrote:
    >>
    >>>At one point, I had 2 MicroVAX 2000 systems. Ugh! They took 25 minutes to
    >>>boot...and yes, that was from disk.

    >> I see your uV 2000s and raise you a Pro 350 running 2.9BSD. Now *that*
    >> was painful; you didn't make many mistakes, given how long it took to load
    >> vi.
    >>

    >Wimp. I can tell that you never rebooted a PDP-8 from paper tape at 10 cps.

    True.

    But that's a pretty different experience to a modern system. The Pro 350,
    to a first approximation, was pretty much the same as sitting in front of,
    say, a modern FreeBSD text console. It was just slower. :P That thought
    always amuses me.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge

  18. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:16:58 +0000 (UTC)
    dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote:

    > The Pro 350,
    > to a first approximation, was pretty much the same as sitting in
    > front of, say, a modern FreeBSD text console. It was just
    > slower. :P That thought always amuses me.

    It shows how little has happened to OS technology since, let's say,
    Unix Version 7 and VMS.

    Similarly, nothing much has happened to UI technology since the
    original Mac (apart from the networking contribution of X11).

    Of course we've networked file systems, excellent font display on
    low-resolution devices, sound, colour etc., but at the core, it's still
    all the same stuff as 23 and 30 years ago.

    It's just the hardware that has gotten much cheaper and much faster.

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --

  19. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    > Similarly, nothing much has happened to UI technology since the
    > original Mac (apart from the networking contribution of X11).

    I'd say that touch screen devices are a major development in terms of the
    user interface. (even if at the software level, it isn't a big change).

  20. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:53:04 -0500
    JF Mezei wrote:

    > Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
    > > Similarly, nothing much has happened to UI technology since the
    > > original Mac (apart from the networking contribution of X11).

    > I'd say that touch screen devices are a major development in terms of
    > the user interface. (even if at the software level, it isn't a big
    > change).

    They're not much different from using a mouse - in both cases it's
    about selecting object on the display. And they aren't a exactly a a
    roaring success either.

    That being said, the HP 150, back in 1983, had a touch screen, so my
    statement that nothing much changed since the original Mac (introduced
    in 1984) stands.

    --
    Stefaan A Eeckels
    --