Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners - DEC

This is a discussion on Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners - DEC ; In article , Bob Willard wrote: >sean@obanion.us wrote: >> On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote: >> >>>Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ??? >>> >>>I'm going to build one from parts and will ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    In article <9IidnXYDhf2hI3TYnZ2dnUVZ_tKjnZ2d@comcast.com>,
    Bob Willard wrote:
    >sean@obanion.us wrote:
    >> On Mar 2, 3:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >>>
    >>>I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.
    >>>All OSes welcome!
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>Ulli

    >> Wan't the VAX-11/730 slower? I think it was about .3 VUP...
    >>
    >> When I installed bsd 4.1 (circa 1985, it was new!), the installation
    >> notes said the the 730 was not fast enough to be usefull.
    >>

    >> Sean
    >>

    >IIRC, the uVAX-I was ~1/3 VUP, the 730 (and the 725?) was ~1/2 VUP, the
    >750 (and the obscure 751) ~ 2/3 VUP.

    Wasn't the 11/751 a rack mount OEM chassis version of the 11/750 Comet.
    Never saw one -- but one gov't contractor (military) had the doc on it
    as a target platform.

    >I had a uVAX-I as my first home computer, DECnetted into the real VAXen
    >at work. That uVAX-I was fast enough to do useful work, including
    >compile/link/run FORTRAN apps.

    Well, the only DECnet I had to the office was DECnet/RT from the PDT.

    Slower than watching the ice melt yesterday. But still slick over a
    2400 baud async modem from the PDT11/150.

    >--
    >Cheers, Bob

    Bill
    "When I think back on all the crap I learned in Vax school
    It's a wonder I fixed anything at all." (to the tune of Kodachrome)
    pechter-at-ureach.com

  2. Re: Wanted: MicroVAX I / VAXstation I owners

    On Mar 2, 7:04 am, "vaxorcist" wrote:
    > Who else has got (and eventually runs) the worlds slowest VAX ever ???
    >
    > I'm going to build one from parts and will probably need some help.

    Get a TU58 tape involved doing something important if you want to s-l-
    o-w
    any VAX operations down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3