Need a few cables hopefully cheap - DEC

This is a discussion on Need a few cables hopefully cheap - DEC ; I'm in need of 2 17-02943-01 internal scsi cables for the 3100-40/80/90, but they will work in a 4000-100X also. I'm retiring the DSSI drives in the 4000-100X series and going to go all scsi disk. thanks phillip...

  1. Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    I'm in need of 2 17-02943-01 internal scsi cables for the
    3100-40/80/90, but they will work in a 4000-100X also. I'm retiring
    the DSSI drives in the 4000-100X series and going to go all scsi disk.
    thanks
    phillip

  2. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    To paraphrase Gertrude Stein: "A SCSI is a SCSI is a SCSI." Even DEC SCSI.

    I most certainly do have a lot of 50-pin SCSI internal cables. 17-02943-01
    handles up to 5 internal devices?

    I quickly put my hands on (2) DEC 17-03459-02 50-pin SCSI cables. These came
    from some DEC Wintel product that got torn down. In addition to the HBA
    connector, there are connectors for (4) drives, and another connector with a
    single-ended SCSI terminator on it. The terminator has DEC part number
    12-37791-02. It makes drive setup easier because you don't need to worry about
    setting termination jumpers on drives.

    If these will do the job for you, they are $5 apiece plus exact shipping,
    probably via Priority Mail. If you are local enough to ZIP 01451 (I-495 & MA
    Rte 2), you can pick them up.

    I may have some other 50-pin SCSI internal cables with more connectors here, but
    I'd have to rummage around... Ben Myers

    On 18 Feb 2007 07:54:32 -0800, "tomarsin2015@comcast.net"
    wrote:

    >I'm in need of 2 17-02943-01 internal scsi cables for the
    >3100-40/80/90, but they will work in a 4000-100X also. I'm retiring
    >the DSSI drives in the 4000-100X series and going to go all scsi disk.
    >thanks
    >phillip

  3. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > To paraphrase Gertrude Stein: "A SCSI is a SCSI is a SCSI." Even DEC SCSI.

    Not in a vaxstation 3100-30.

    The ribbon and disk connectors may have been standard, but both ends of the
    ribbon came back to the motherboard and used a proprietary connector that
    combined both ends (aka : more than 50 pins).

  4. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    Leave it to DEC to create a high-value proprietary solution, then wonder why the
    bottom dropped out with the personal computer revolution.

    It is true that proprietary SCSI hardware abounds in DEC, Sun, SGI, IBM and
    others who made lame attempts to protect their overpriced hardware... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:37:16 -0500, JF Mezei
    wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> To paraphrase Gertrude Stein: "A SCSI is a SCSI is a SCSI." Even DEC SCSI.

    >Not in a vaxstation 3100-30.
    >
    >The ribbon and disk connectors may have been standard, but both ends of the
    >ribbon came back to the motherboard and used a proprietary connector that
    >combined both ends (aka : more than 50 pins).

  5. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    In article ,
    ben_myers_spam_me_not at charter.net wrote:

    >Leave it to DEC to create a high-value proprietary solution, then wonder

    why the
    >bottom dropped out with the personal computer revolution.

    The first VAXstation 3100 systems were designed before SCSI cables and
    connectors were particularly "standard". It's hardly surprising that the
    cabling was weird.

    IIRC, Later models in the VAXstation 3100 series used "normal" 50-pin
    cables and connectors, as did the VAXstation 4000 series.

    >On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:37:16 -0500, JF Mezei
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Ben Myers wrote:
    >>> To paraphrase Gertrude Stein: "A SCSI is a SCSI is a SCSI." Even DEC SCSI.

    >>Not in a vaxstation 3100-30.
    >>
    >>The ribbon and disk connectors may have been standard, but both ends of the
    >>ribbon came back to the motherboard and used a proprietary connector that
    >>combined both ends (aka : more than 50 pins).

  6. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    IIRC, I found garden variety 50-pin cables in a Vaxstation 3100 I tore down some
    time ago... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:11:24 GMT, rdeininger@mindspringdot.com (Robert
    Deininger) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >ben_myers_spam_me_not at charter.net wrote:
    >
    >>Leave it to DEC to create a high-value proprietary solution, then wonder

    >why the
    >>bottom dropped out with the personal computer revolution.

    >The first VAXstation 3100 systems were designed before SCSI cables and
    >connectors were particularly "standard". It's hardly surprising that the
    >cabling was weird.
    >
    >IIRC, Later models in the VAXstation 3100 series used "normal" 50-pin
    >cables and connectors, as did the VAXstation 4000 series.

    >>On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:37:16 -0500, JF Mezei
    >>wrote:

    >>>Not in a vaxstation 3100-30.
    >>>
    >>>The ribbon and disk connectors may have been standard, but both ends of the
    >>>ribbon came back to the motherboard and used a proprietary connector that
    >>>combined both ends (aka : more than 50 pins).

  7. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    In article ,
    rdeininger@mindspringdot.com (Robert Deininger) writes:
    > In article ,
    > ben_myers_spam_me_not at charter.net wrote:
    >
    >>Leave it to DEC to create a high-value proprietary solution, then wonder

    > why the
    >>bottom dropped out with the personal computer revolution.

    > The first VAXstation 3100 systems were designed before SCSI cables and
    > connectors were particularly "standard". It's hardly surprising that the
    > cabling was weird.
    >
    > IIRC, Later models in the VAXstation 3100 series used "normal" 50-pin
    > cables and connectors, as did the VAXstation 4000 series.

    None of my (many!) VAXStation 3100's have "standard" SCSI cables. All of
    them connect to the motherboard with a non-standard (read DEC specific)
    cable. As for others also using proprietary cables, I have also had HP
    boxes, Sun3's, Sun4's SGI's, Mac's, Sage's, and too many different PC's
    to even count. The only one that did not use standard 50 pin connectors
    was the external connector on the MAC which was a DB25. But even it
    used the same pinout as others that used DB25 for SCSI (like Parallel
    to SCSI adapters!).

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    In article <9bmht2d2o5stkbpe2nipd02e40455iqqcr@4ax.com>,
    Ben Myers writes:
    > IIRC, I found garden variety 50-pin cables in a Vaxstation 3100 I tore down some
    > time ago... Ben Myers

    Only on the disk end. I have never seen a 3100 motherboard with a
    standard 50 pin berg connector.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  9. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > IIRC, I found garden variety 50-pin cables in a Vaxstation 3100 I tore down some
    > time ago... Ben Myers

    The cable may be standard. The disk-side connectors may be standard. But
    check the connector that goes on the SCSI card/controller. It has 2 50 pin
    ribbons merging into a single connector. (the vaxstation has a loop that
    goes to drives and I assume handles all of the SCSI termination itself).

  10. Re: Need a few cables hopefully cheap

    "tomarsin2015@comcast.net" writes:

    > I'm in need of 2 17-02943-01 internal scsi cables for the
    > 3100-40/80/90, but they will work in a 4000-100X also. I'm retiring
    > the DSSI drives in the 4000-100X series and going to go all scsi disk.
    > thanks

    You do know that the DSSI cables are fine for scsi, modulo the
    terminator.

    BTW, the fix for the smaller 3100 evil cable was to cut it and install
    a 50 way IDC socket.

+ Reply to Thread