Service Manuals Needed for RA60, RA81 and/or RA92 - DEC

This is a discussion on Service Manuals Needed for RA60, RA81 and/or RA92 - DEC ; I'm looking for: EK-ORA60-SV RA60 Disk Drive Service Manual EK-ORA81-SV RA81 Disk Drive Service Manual EK-ORA82-SV RA82 Disk Drive Service Manual Any help would be appreciated Tom...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. Service Manuals Needed for RA60, RA81 and/or RA92

    I'm looking for:

    EK-ORA60-SV RA60 Disk Drive Service Manual
    EK-ORA81-SV RA81 Disk Drive Service Manual
    EK-ORA82-SV RA82 Disk Drive Service Manual

    Any help would be appreciated

    Tom

  2. Re: Service Manuals Needed for RA60, RA81 and/or RA92

    Tom94022 wrote:
    > I'm looking for:
    >
    > EK-ORA60-SV RA60 Disk Drive Service Manual
    > EK-ORA81-SV RA81 Disk Drive Service Manual
    > EK-ORA82-SV RA82 Disk Drive Service Manual
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated

    The documents for RA60 and RA81 seem to be up at bitsavers at least.

    Bjarni
    --

    INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE

  3. Re: Service Manuals Needed for RA60, RA81 and/or RA92

    You can find them all at http://vt100.net/manx/ .

    Tom94022 wrote:
    > I'm looking for:
    >
    > EK-ORA60-SV RA60 Disk Drive Service Manual
    > EK-ORA81-SV RA81 Disk Drive Service Manual
    > EK-ORA82-SV RA82 Disk Drive Service Manual
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > Tom

  4. Free to a good home

    I have two RA81s free to a good home. Last been powered up something on the
    order of 8 or 9 years ago. Anybody who wants to try to revive them is welcome
    to them. They're available for pickup in Pittsburgh, PA.
    For the more power minded, I have four RA90s, 8" 1 gig disks , which are of
    course a good deal younger than the ra81s.
    I also have a TU80 (1600bpi 4' high 9 track drive) and a few other bits.
    Any takers?

    isildur

  5. Re: Free to a good home

    On Feb 13, 8:58 am, "G. Economou" wrote:
    > I have two RA81s free to a good home. Last been powered up something on the
    > order of 8 or 9 years ago. Anybody who wants to try to revive them is welcome
    > to them. They're available for pickup in Pittsburgh, PA.
    > For the more power minded, I have four RA90s, 8" 1 gig disks , which are of
    > course a good deal younger than the ra81s.
    > I also have a TU80 (1600bpi 4' high 9 track drive) and a few other bits.
    > Any takers?
    >
    > isildur

    Close but no cigar...I have a user looking
    for a RA82 and TU81. The Burg, my hometown.
    Great place cept' for the snow !

  6. Re: Free to a good home

    bob.birch@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 8:58 am, "G. Economou" wrote:
    >
    >>I have two RA81s free to a good home. Last been powered up something on the
    >>order of 8 or 9 years ago. Anybody who wants to try to revive them is welcome
    >>to them. They're available for pickup in Pittsburgh, PA.
    >>For the more power minded, I have four RA90s, 8" 1 gig disks , which are of
    >>course a good deal younger than the ra81s.
    >>I also have a TU80 (1600bpi 4' high 9 track drive) and a few other bits.
    >>Any takers?
    >>
    >>isildur

    > Close but no cigar...I have a user looking
    > for a RA82 and TU81. The Burg, my hometown.
    > Great place cept' for the snow !

    I would love to hear an RA60 spin up again,just for the memory. Had one
    on a vax 730 with uda50 set c 1991 and remember it sounding like turbine
    engine spool up in miniature. Still have a bunch of packs in the loft,
    but sadly, no drive to use them anymore.

    As for the power consumption, let's not even discuss it :-)...

    Chris

  7. Re: Free to a good home

    heh, we havent had much snow this winter, until last night. about 3-4
    inches sitting now and it's still coming down. a microvax is keeping the
    living room warm.

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 bob.birch@gmail.com wrote:

    > Close but no cigar...I have a user looking
    > for a RA82 and TU81. The Burg, my hometown.
    > Great place cept' for the snow !

  8. Re: Free to a good home

    On Feb 13, 10:27 am, ChrisQuayle wrote:
    > bob.bi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Feb 13, 8:58 am, "G. Economou" wrote:

    > >>I have two RA81s free to a good home. Last been powered up something on the
    > >>order of 8 or 9 years ago. Anybody who wants to try to revive them is welcome
    > >>to them. They're available for pickup in Pittsburgh, PA.
    > >>For the more power minded, I have four RA90s, 8" 1 gig disks , which are of
    > >>course a good deal younger than the ra81s.
    > >>I also have a TU80 (1600bpi 4' high 9 track drive) and a few other bits.
    > >>Any takers?

    > >>isildur

    > > Close but no cigar...I have a user looking
    > > for a RA82 and TU81. The Burg, my hometown.
    > > Great place cept' for the snow !

    > I would love to hear an RA60 spin up again,just for the memory. Had one
    > on a vax 730 with uda50 set c 1991 and remember it sounding like turbine
    > engine spool up in miniature. Still have a bunch of packs in the loft,
    > but sadly, no drive to use them anymore.
    >
    > As for the power consumption, let's not even discuss it :-)...
    >
    > Chris

    If my hearing memory serves me right, the RP series were
    great sound producers, especially with some of the skins
    off. My favorite was the Univac FH-880 drum, man it was
    big.
    It would be slick if Bit Saver had a directory of audio
    sounds like HD start ups or tapes loading or card
    readers, card punches..

  9. Re: Free to a good home

    What a creative use for a microVAX! ... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:00:19 -0500, "G. Economou"
    wrote:

    >heh, we havent had much snow this winter, until last night. about 3-4
    >inches sitting now and it's still coming down. a microvax is keeping the
    >living room warm.
    >
    >On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 bob.birch@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Close but no cigar...I have a user looking
    >> for a RA82 and TU81. The Burg, my hometown.
    >> Great place cept' for the snow !

  10. Re: Free to a good home

    bob.birch@gmail.com spake the secret code
    <1171402472.493247.173010@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com> thusly:

    >It would be slick if Bit Saver had a directory of audio
    >sounds like HD start ups or tapes loading or card
    >readers, card punches..

    Legalize Adulthood!

  11. Re: Free to a good home

    Boy, that brought back memories! I will play this at work with the
    volume turned up to see if anyone notices.....

    Richard wrote:

    > bob.birch@gmail.com spake the secret code
    > <1171402472.493247.173010@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com> thusly:
    >
    >> It would be slick if Bit Saver had a directory of audio
    >> sounds like HD start ups or tapes loading or card
    >> readers, card punches..

  12. Re: Free to a good home

    Ben Myers wrote:

    (snip on keeping a room warm)

    > What a creative use for a microVAX! ... Ben Myers

    I have heard that they are good for dorm rooms where heaters
    aren't allowed but computers are. For more heat, a Sun3 is
    better. A pdp-10 should do even better, but there might
    not be much room left for a person.

    -- glen

  13. Re: Free to a good home

    VAX- More BTU's per instruction!

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Ben Myers wrote:

    > What a creative use for a microVAX! ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:00:19 -0500, "G. Economou"
    > wrote:
    >

    >> heh, we havent had much snow this winter, until last night. about 3-4
    >> inches sitting now and it's still coming down. a microvax is keeping the
    >> living room warm.
    >>
    >> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 bob.birch@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Close but no cigar...I have a user looking
    >>> for a RA82 and TU81. The Burg, my hometown.
    >>> Great place cept' for the snow !

  14. Re: Free to a good home

    On Feb 13, 2:01 pm, legalize+jee...@mail.xmission.com (Richard) wrote:

    > bob.bi...@gmail.com spake the secret code
    > <1171402472.493247.173...@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com> thusly:
    >
    > >It would be slick if Bit Saver had a directory of audio
    > >sounds like HD start ups or tapes loading or card
    > >readers, card punches..

    > --
    > "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 draft available for download
    >

    > Legalize Adulthood!

    That is just excellent...an old war story but
    back in the 60's at NASA's STADAN facility
    in Greenbelt, at 7AM every morning, a complete
    bank of KSR-35's used to come alive with
    "EMHO" printing repeatedly all over the network.

    I'll have to save that teletype sound and program
    ny PC to play it every morning at 7AM !

  15. Re: Free to a good home

    We need some sort of new metric here to counteract the newfangled flops per
    watt. But this one is potentially three dimensional, taking into account BTUs,
    instruction set, and cubic feet occupied by computer. It boggles the mind so
    much I can't come up with an appropriate metric. Or maybe it's late at night?
    I'll sleep on it, and after my energizing morning coffee, maybe it will come to
    mind... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:25:06 -0800, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >(snip on keeping a room warm)
    >
    >> What a creative use for a microVAX! ... Ben Myers

    >I have heard that they are good for dorm rooms where heaters
    >aren't allowed but computers are. For more heat, a Sun3 is
    >better. A pdp-10 should do even better, but there might
    >not be much room left for a person.
    >
    >-- glen

  16. Re: Free to a good home

    On Feb 13, 11:25 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt
    wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    > (snip on keeping a room warm)
    >
    > > What a creative use for a microVAX! ... Ben Myers

    > I have heard that they are good for dorm rooms where heaters
    > aren't allowed but computers are. For more heat, a Sun3 is
    > better. A pdp-10 should do even better, but there might
    > not be much room left for a person.
    >
    > -- glen

    Well, an Athlon XP, a PIII, and a Sun Ultra 1 are pretty sufficient to
    keep my corner of the dorm toasty. The three CRTs (Sun 20", Samsung
    17", and Packard-Bell 14" or 15") help a bit too :-)
    I'd still rather have a VAX as a heater, or a nice toasty Alpha (my
    Multia doesn't count, and doesn't have a hard drive anyway). Actually,
    a PDP-10 would probably fit in this room (triple), but we'd have to
    sleep on the disk drives. Worth the sacrifice, I think. Now, if I
    could just get a PDP-10 on a FPGA board, I could tape it to a space
    heater and some refrigerator boxes and have the real deal!

    John "Shouldn't Be Posting Right Now" F.

  17. Re: Free to a good home

    "G. Economou" writes:
    > I have two RA81s free to a good home. Last been powered up something on the
    > order of 8 or 9 years ago.

    If there's any chance of those RA81s having 18-bit HDAs (rather than
    the more common 16-bit HDA used on the PDP-11 and VAX), I want 'em.

  18. Re: Free to a good home

    In article ,
    "G. Economou" wrote:

    >heh, we havent had much snow this winter, until last night. about 3-4
    >inches sitting now and it's still coming down. a microvax is keeping the
    >living room warm.

    Count yourself lucky. I'm in Mass. and I have 2" of ice on the ground,
    and the temp is supposed to drop sometime in the afternoon.

    I don't get to use my VRROOOOMMMM machine [glum emoticon here looking
    for permanent ice skates...and a bum pillow]

    /BAH

  19. Computers as heaters

    "glen herrmannsfeldt" wrote in message
    newsMWdnTrGPqckE0_YnZ2dnUVZ_vzinZ2d@comcast.com...

    > I have heard that they are good for dorm rooms where heaters
    > aren't allowed but computers are. For more heat, a Sun3 is
    > better. A pdp-10 should do even better, but there might
    > not be much room left for a person.
    >
    > -- glen

    Nor much power for the rest of the dorm if you're talking about a KL.
    Nothing like ECL logic to generate a little heat.

    This thread reminds me of when I worked for DEC in Littleton, MA. Brand new
    building off I-495 dedicated to the NAC (Networking and Communications)
    group. It was just at the dawn of the PC age, and one floor had a lot of
    guys working on DEC PC networking software. All of a sudden, instead of
    having all the computers in air-conditioned labs in the core of the
    building, engineers had 2 or 3 early PCs in their cubicles. Equally
    suddenly, the office-area air conditioning was found to be a little weak for
    the task of cooling the office areas. They had to install cold-water pipes
    all through the office areas for extra cooling (at no small expense, I'm
    sure.)

    Strangely enough, we don't seem to have learned anything over the years. If
    the cleaning crew in my current building happens to close the door to my
    office at night, I'll find sauna-like conditions when I come in in the
    morning. And I only have 5 computers running in there. (Well, SOME folks
    other than me have learned something. The trend now is to put beefy servers
    in our labs and serve out virtual machines, which do reboot a LOT faster
    than "real" machines, and don't heat up the offices either.)

    Speaking of cooling, I read lately about Google's latest server farm being
    built on the banks of the Columbia river in Oregon. Excellent cooling from
    the nearby river, and large amounts of electricity from the hydro dams.
    Same reasons the aluminum smelters were built there in earlier days.

    Carl

  20. Re: Free to a good home

    In article ,
    "G. Economou" writes:

    > VAX- More BTU's per instruction!

    None of my MicroVAX's generate enough heat to warm a room, especially
    in the winter. However....... I used to have an Apollo Workstation.
    Now that one could make a room uncomfortably hot even in the dead of
    winter.

    bill

    > On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >> What a creative use for a microVAX! ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:00:19 -0500, "G. Economou"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> heh, we havent had much snow this winter, until last night. about 3-4
    >>> inches sitting now and it's still coming down. a microvax is keeping the
    >>> living room warm.

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

+ Reply to Thread