RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives - DEC

This is a discussion on RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives - DEC ; geezer wrote: > I think the guy in Canada you guys are talking about might be Dylan > Porter. A whois shows he still owns the pdp8.com site. "Dylan Porter" is John Bordynuik http://www.johnbordynuik.com/ who has my tu56, several of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 64 of 64

  1. Re: RP01 and RP02 (RPR02) Disk Drives

    geezer wrote:

    > I think the guy in Canada you guys are talking about might be Dylan
    > Porter. A whois shows he still owns the pdp8.com site.

    "Dylan Porter" is John Bordynuik http://www.johnbordynuik.com/

    who has my tu56, several of my scsi tape drives, and refuses to
    answer my emails or phone calls

    avoid him.

  2. Re: RP01 and RP02 (RPR02) Disk Drives

    On 21 Feb 2007 20:38:17 -0800, "geezer" wrote:

    >I think the guy in Canada you guys are talking about might be Dylan
    >Porter. A whois shows he still owns the pdp8.com site. I remember
    >years ago he had an HUGE collection. I did talk to him once but he had
    >some personal problems and disappeared for a while. Nice guy. I think
    >he was in Niagara Falls or Welland at the time.

    I don't know 'Dylan Porter', unless that's an alias - you're talking
    about a guy called John Bordynuik(sp?). Auctioned quite a few bits and
    pieces on ebay a couple of years ago, I bought some.

    He doesn't seem to participate in the 'scene' very much these days,
    and I've heard varying opinions about the guy - but he's done some
    pretty impressive stuff. Can't find the URL just now but there was a
    website about a *very* thorough restoration of an Alto he did. He also
    had a pdp-15 with a drum, which I think was the one that either came
    from or went to Kevin Stumpf, I believe. Think a Mr. Garner has that
    now...

    And no, he's not the guy the RP disks :-)

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  3. Re: RP01 and RP02 (RPR02) Disk Drives

    Mike Ross writes about John Bordynuik:
    > but he's done some pretty impressive stuff.

    Maybe, maybe not. He writes about doing some impressive stuff, but it's
    not clear that much of it is real. Getting any actual hard information
    out of him is impossible.

    He's screwed over more than one person that frequents this newsgroup.

    > Can't find the URL just now but there was a website about a *very*
    > thorough restoration of an Alto he did.

    He bought an Alto, but I don't think it's accurate to say that he did a
    "very thorough restoration" as it was in good condition to start with.

    Eric

  4. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    Rich Alderson wrote:

    (snip)

    > In that format, the RP07 would come out to about 500MB. I don't think it was
    > a 3350 equivalent--was the 3350 track size 19069 bytes? (3330-II was 13030,
    > right?)

    The 3330 is 13165 with 135 byte overhead. That leaves 13030 for a full
    track block, though. Previous ones didn't seem to have the overhead for
    the first block, or at least not in the published data. 7294 for the
    2314. It might be that the difference is needed for Rotational Position
    Sensing to get the block positions right. (Just a guess.)

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4