RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives - DEC

This is a discussion on RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives - DEC ; In article , Mark Crispin wrote: >On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote: >> >> >The new Score's RP07s were in January 1983, so RP07s were available by >> >> >then. I doubt that they were available in the 1970s. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

  1. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    In article ,
    Mark Crispin wrote:
    >On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >> >> >The new Score's RP07s were in January 1983, so RP07s were available by
    >> >> >then. I doubt that they were available in the 1970s.
    >> >> I know they weren't. TW's RP07 project was after SMP. Look
    >> >> in the listing for the date.
    >> >With all due respect, Barb; Score was a TOPS-20 system. So TW's RP07
    >> >project for TOPS-10 is somewhat orthogonal.

    >> Now listen, you young whippersnapper. When a new piece of gear
    >> showed up, TW was the first one to make it work. And THEN the
    >> -20 people wrote the code a second time.
    >> That's how things happened.

    >
    >Fortunately, TOPS-20 kept edit histories.
    >
    >RP07 support was added to TOPS-20 on May 6, 1978.


    Who did the -20 work?


    /BAH

  2. RP07 support in Tops-20 [was Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives]

    jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:

    > In article ,
    > Mark Crispin wrote:


    >> RP07 support was added to TOPS-20 on May 6, 1978.


    > Who did the -20 work?


    Some context for the particular item MRC was quoting:

    ;<4.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.6, 5-Mar-79 15:53:41, EDIT BY KONEN
    ;UPDATE COPYRIGHT FOR RELEASE 4
    ;<4.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.5, 4-Dec-78 19:37:55, EDIT BY BOSACK
    ;TCO 4.2106 - DEFER ECC APPLICATION UNTIL DRIVE HAS SETTLED ON CYL
    ;<2MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.4, 30-Jul-78 15:16:13, Edit by MCLEAN
    ;<2MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.3, 30-Jul-78 14:46:26, Edit by MCLEAN
    ;<4.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.2, 22-Jul-78 22:11:23, Edit by MCLEAN
    ;<1MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.83, 6-May-78 21:45:28, Edit by MCLEAN
    ==> ;<1MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.82, 6-May-78 21:40:57, Edit by MCLEAN
    ==> ;ADD RP07 CODE
    ;<1MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.81, 6-May-78 21:40:37, Edit by MCLEAN
    ;<3.SM10-RELEASE-3>PHYP4.MAC.79, 3-Apr-78 18:49:52, Edit by MCLEAN
    ;FIX ATNXIT NOT TO CLEAR CHANNEL ON TRANSFERING DRIVE
    ;<3A.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.79, 8-Mar-78 23:58:51, Edit by MCLEAN
    ;CLEAR DRIVE AT ATNXIT
    ;<2BOSACK>PHYP4.MAC.77, 24-Feb-78 01:25:42, EDIT BY BOSACK
    ;CHANGE DEVICE/DATA ERROR FLAGGING

    So the RP07 went into v.3A.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
    "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
    --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |

  3. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    > Who did the -20 work?


    Ron ("Bugs") McLean.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  4. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    > Then you can find the MCO in the x.MCO that was shipped on the tape.


    I don't have any of the MCO files.

    > Yea, and mine is screwed up. I don't remember an RP07 hung on
    > the -20 machine. So, given your evidence and my knowledge of
    > how stuff worked, the folowing may be what happened.


    I agree that the updated scenario that you outline is likely.

    > If, as you say, it was just a rearrangement of the RP06 stuff, having
    > the -20 do it first would then make sense.


    Not quite a rearrangment; but the same code supports RP04/6/7.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  5. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    In article
    ,
    Mark Crispin wrote:
    >On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >> Then you can find the MCO in the x.MCO that was shipped on the tape.

    >
    >I don't have any of the MCO files.
    >
    >> Yea, and mine is screwed up. I don't remember an RP07 hung on
    >> the -20 machine. So, given your evidence and my knowledge of
    >> how stuff worked, the folowing may be what happened.

    >
    >I agree that the updated scenario that you outline is likely.


    I also seem to recall that we would make some deal with a hardware
    manufacturer and the suits would provide one, and only one,
    piece of gear. You can't timeshare stand-alone time. The RP07
    may have been in this category. It didn't happen often but was
    really a RPITA w.r.t. scheduling major monitor releases. I don't
    think the -20 had the infrastructure necessary for doing an LIR.
    They had to do a full blown release. And this is never a trivial
    matter.
    >
    >> If, as you say, it was just a rearrangement of the RP06 stuff, having
    >> the -20 do it first would then make sense.

    >
    >Not quite a rearrangment; but the same code supports RP04/6/7.


    You couldn't boot from that thing. The only functionality it
    provided was that of a bit bucket. I can't recall if it
    had dual ports. It made for a better boat anchor than a piece
    of gear that included our new software functionality.

    /BAH

  6. Re: RP07 support in Tops-20 [was Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives]

    In article ,
    Rich Alderson wrote:
    >jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Mark Crispin wrote:

    >
    >>> RP07 support was added to TOPS-20 on May 6, 1978.

    >
    >> Who did the -20 work?

    >
    >Some context for the particular item MRC was quoting:
    >
    > ;<4.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.6, 5-Mar-79 15:53:41, EDIT BY KONEN
    > ;UPDATE COPYRIGHT FOR RELEASE 4
    > ;<4.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.5, 4-Dec-78 19:37:55, EDIT BY BOSACK
    > ;TCO 4.2106 - DEFER ECC APPLICATION UNTIL DRIVE HAS SETTLED ON CYL
    > ;<2MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.4, 30-Jul-78 15:16:13, Edit by MCLEAN
    > ;<2MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.3, 30-Jul-78 14:46:26, Edit by MCLEAN
    > ;<4.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.2, 22-Jul-78 22:11:23, Edit by MCLEAN
    > ;<1MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.83, 6-May-78 21:45:28, Edit by MCLEAN
    >==> ;<1MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.82, 6-May-78 21:40:57, Edit by MCLEAN
    >==> ;ADD RP07 CODE
    > ;<1MCLEAN>PHYP4.MAC.81, 6-May-78 21:40:37, Edit by MCLEAN
    > ;<3.SM10-RELEASE-3>PHYP4.MAC.79, 3-Apr-78 18:49:52, Edit by MCLEAN
    > ;FIX ATNXIT NOT TO CLEAR CHANNEL ON TRANSFERING DRIVE
    > ;<3A.MONITOR>PHYP4.MAC.79, 8-Mar-78 23:58:51, Edit by MCLEAN
    > ;CLEAR DRIVE AT ATNXIT
    > ;<2BOSACK>PHYP4.MAC.77, 24-Feb-78 01:25:42, EDIT BY BOSACK
    > ;CHANGE DEVICE/DATA ERROR FLAGGING
    >
    >So the RP07 went into v.3A.


    Tiger did that work?!!! It must have been done on the Hardware
    Engineering system. That means it wasn't done by the monitor
    group.

    /BAH

  7. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    In article
    ,
    Mark Crispin wrote:
    >On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >> Who did the -20 work?

    >
    >Ron ("Bugs") McLean.


    a.k.a. Tiger. That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.

    /BAH

  8. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:

    > a.k.a. Tiger. That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    > and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    > system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.


    Barb, do you recall what the name of that HW system was, and the names
    of the disc volumes? Ditto for the software group T10 machines (1026 and
    SMP?). Appears 1026 may have been DSKA->DSKC or BLK? though this may
    all be after you had left.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  9. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    > >Not quite a rearrangment; but the same code supports RP04/6/7.

    > You couldn't boot from that thing.


    That's an overstatement.

    The front end couldn't boot from an RP07; IIRC, because the RH11 was too
    slow to handle an RP07. Hence the 2020 couldn't use an RP07 either.

    However, once BOOT was loaded, there was nothing that prevented booting
    the monitor from an RP07. Similarly, nothing prevented the use of an RP07
    as the login/primary filesystem.

    So, the only issue was that you either had to boot the front end from
    floppy (s-l-o-w) or you had to have an RP06 to boot the front end.

    Score had one RP06 (used for booting and holding sources) and a 4 RP07 PS:
    for users.

    > I can't recall if it
    > had dual ports.


    Yes, the RP07 could be dual ported. Quite a few of us did clusters that
    way even before CFS existed.

    -- Mark --

    http://panda.com/mrc
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

  10. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:

    > In article
    > ,
    > Mark Crispin wrote:


    >> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >>> Who did the -20 work?


    >> Ron ("Bugs") McLean.


    > a.k.a. Tiger. That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    > and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    > system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.


    Hmm. I'll have to get a phone number for Dick from Ralph Gorin and see what
    he has to say about the RP07.

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
    "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
    --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |

  11. RP07 in VAX (Was: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives)

    Mark Crispin writes:

    > The front end couldn't boot from an RP07; IIRC, because the RH11 was
    > too slow to handle an RP07. Hence the 2020 couldn't use an RP07
    > either.


    > However, once BOOT was loaded, there was nothing that prevented
    > booting the monitor from an RP07. Similarly, nothing prevented the
    > use of an RP07 as the login/primary filesystem.


    > So, the only issue was that you either had to boot the front end from
    > floppy (s-l-o-w) or you had to have an RP06 to boot the front end.


    Almost like our experience with an RP07 and a VAX11/750 running
    BSD. The RP07 came form the retiring DEC-2060 and the first problems
    was the get it formatted for 512B blocksize. Local Digital support
    didn't manage to do that. They had to replace the HDA. After that,
    there was no boot support and we had to order a new boot ROM for
    that. Before it finally arrived, we bootstrapped from TU78 tape with a
    self-written boot program. And finally the new ROM (20(or so)-pin DIL)
    arrived packed in a small plastic antistatic box (2"x3"x1") which was
    inside a 4"x6"x2" cardboard box which was inside another 10"x15"x15"
    box! After installing, the VAX booted natively from RP07.

  12. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    In article <45b775f5$0$24402$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    Al _Kossow wrote:
    >jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >> a.k.a. Tiger. That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    >> and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    >> system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.

    >
    >Barb, do you recall what the name of that HW system was, and the names
    >of the disc volumes?


    It's in my head. Getting the bits retrieved is going to be the
    hard part.

    Their KLs were 1025, 1042. I'm going to have to wait for the
    -20 cabinet numbers to pop in. I probably have this stuff
    in my files somewhere, too.


    > Ditto for the software group T10 machines (1026 and
    >SMP?).


    KAs #2 and #40

    KIs #514 and #546

    KLs - 1026 and 1042 (we inherited hardware's KL when were able to
    get -20s off DEC's production line). For the third CPU it was
    2276...no..2476

    > Appears 1026 may have been DSKA->DSKC or BLK? though this may
    >all be after you had left.


    There were two phases. At first: DSKA was the system disk that
    stayed with the machine; it was never moved. DSKB (2 packs) was the
    system disk that was moved. DSKC: also moved but was one pack.
    In the 1975-1979 (I'm guessing years) the machine room had three
    systems: dual KA, dual KI and single (later dual) KL.
    We had three "SYS"es. They were called the green packs, yellow
    packs and red packs. The green packs were guaranteed to be
    up all the time if any machine was running timesharing. If
    two systems were up running timesharing, the second system
    would have the yellow DSKB,C packs. If all three systems
    (KA, KI, and KL) were up running timesharing then the red
    packs would be up on the third system.

    When the KA went away , the red packs went away.

    Now, IIRC, DSKB was first in most people's search list.
    In some cases, I can't recall why...probably something to
    do with needing large quotas, some people would have
    DSKC first in their login search list.

    Now time has passed and the KL is the primary TOPS-10 system.
    We have no space, both foot print and quota and spindles,
    to keep all the black packs online. There are other apps
    that require dedicated spindles. So we changed the
    front end disks to be BLKX on #1026 and BLKY on #1042.
    That way Release Engineering (and me) could start to develop
    packaging procedures. In addition, the software library scheme
    of managing all those CUSP sources could be available [(7x24)-
    stand alone] could be implemented and then managed.

    BLKK was the pack that had all the monitor software libraries.
    In the beginning that pack only needed a dedicated spindle
    when Magee was editing the monitor on Tuesdays. BLKK
    used to be a set of DECtapes call The Black Tapes. RAP
    (Alan Pommer) colored the white reels black with a magic
    marker. Anybody who found a black tape knew that it
    was in the wrong place and took it back to the guys
    on ML3-5.

    Now I've lost my train of thought. questions?

    /BAH



  13. Re: RP07 in VAX

    Antti Louko writes:

    > Mark Crispin writes:


    >> The front end couldn't boot from an RP07; IIRC, because the RH11
    >> was too slow to handle an RP07. Hence the 2020 couldn't use an
    >> RP07 either.


    >> However, once BOOT was loaded, there was nothing that prevented
    >> booting the monitor from an RP07. Similarly, nothing prevented the
    >> use of an RP07 as the login/primary filesystem.


    >> So, the only issue was that you either had to boot the front end
    >> from floppy (s-l-o-w) or you had to have an RP06 to boot the front
    >> end.


    > Almost like our experience with an RP07 and a VAX11/750 running
    > BSD. The RP07 came form the retiring DEC-2060 and the first problems
    > was the get it formatted for 512B blocksize. Local Digital support
    > didn't manage to do that. They had to replace the HDA.


    Long time ago, but I think the on board formater gave you the pick of
    512 or 576 bytes, and via an inch of super majik, interleaved or
    `hi speed', aka the full 3M xfers/sec. Not for you 750 or 730!
    780s needed a pair of interleaved memory controllers, KB-11s/RH-70s,
    no problem!

    > After that,
    > there was no boot support and we had to order a new boot ROM for
    > that. Before it finally arrived, we bootstrapped from TU78 tape with
    > a self-written boot program. And finally the new ROM (20(or so)-pin
    > DIL) arrived packed in a small plastic antistatic box (2"x3"x1")
    > which was inside a 4"x6"x2" cardboard box which was inside another
    > 10"x15"x15" box! After installing, the VAX booted natively from
    > RP07.


    From memory, the RP07 was more like a RM drive in it's programming,
    not the rest of the late RPs.

    I have a unisucks manual for the drive either here or over in `the
    pile' at ACMS WA. So far I have found 2 empty binders, and 0 pages of
    HW manual...


  14. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    On 18 Jan 2007 21:10:50 -0800, "Tom94022"
    wrote:



    >But, has ANYONE SEEN AN RP01 or RP02 recently?


    FSSVO 'recently' - ten years ago - I had several rather rough old
    RPR02s. They came with the RP15 controller which was attached to my
    pdp-15 XVM system:

    http://www.corestore.org/15-1.htm

    Unfortunately they were all thrown away following a flood in the
    property where they were stored.

    I have recently (last year or two) be in touch with a guy in Canada
    who has several interesting drives in storage, in not-too-bad shape
    (I've seen pics): 1 RPR02, 2 RP03's, 2 RP04's and 4 RM03's. Must chase
    that up; want these for my collection.

    Cheers

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  15. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    In article <45b775f5$0$24402$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    Al _Kossow wrote:
    >jmfbahciv@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >> a.k.a. Tiger. That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    >> and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    >> system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.

    >
    >Barb, do you recall what the name of that HW system was, and the names
    >of the disc volumes? Ditto for the software group T10 machines (1026 and
    >SMP?). Appears 1026 may have been DSKA->DSKC or BLK? though this may
    >all be after you had left.


    I can't remember. The only one that keeps popping up is System #1025
    but logic says that isn't correct. I don't think 1025 worked well
    enough to be used as hardware engineering's timesharing system.

    And then I kept wondering if it wasn't 1042, the second CPU on
    our system...It is possible that we got 1042 as our second
    processor when hardware got a real -20 hardware machine, i.e.,
    no external memory.

    /BAH


  16. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    Rich Alderson writes:

    > jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:


    >> That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    >> and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    >> system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.


    > Hmm. I'll have to get a phone number for Dick from Ralph Gorin and see what
    > he has to say about the RP07.


    So I did that (well, got RPH's e-mail address), and asked him. He didn't have
    much to add, but suggested that I ask Ron McLean myself, and forwarded my query
    on to Ron. With Ron's permission, I'm posting his response:

    From: Ron McLean [ronmclean@....net]
    Date: Wed 2/7/2007 10:25 AM

    It's true that prior to about 1973 Wachs & Flemming did
    almost all the new hardware development. Tops10 was the
    primary operating system and they need the hardware working
    there first for sale. After the release of KL10/20's this
    was less the case since Tops20 had more funding I was
    usually asked to do a lot of the new hardware implementation
    (Disk/Tape/HSC). I generally got disks sooner than most
    because they also had to run with the KL front end
    software. The RP07's and later drives were therefore done
    by me first. The changes were usually minimal since it was
    only table entries for the disk and tape drivers and after
    doing that I could test these drives. I also did the first
    implementation of software for the KS10 since there was
    little interest there for Tops10 on that platform.



    I don't remember ever doing much on the hardware machines
    for KL's so I presume I did the implementation on the Tops20
    test machines. The diagnostic guys usually did there tests
    with the hardware machines and then things were moved.

    Ron (Tired of being retired ;-.])


    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
    "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
    --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |

  17. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    Thanks Rich for getting in touch with Ron. His answer pretty much matches
    my assessment based upon the historic records. In particular:

    > The changes were usually minimal since it was
    > only table entries for the disk and tape drivers and after
    > doing that I could test these drives.


    matches my knowledge of adding RP04-ish drives (RP04, RP05, RP06, RP07,
    RM03, RM05) to PHYSIO.

    For what it's worth, my KS has two RM05 drives. Sadly, one of these head
    crashed about 9 years ago.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  18. Re: RP01 and RP02 Disk Drives

    In article ,
    Rich Alderson wrote:
    >Rich Alderson writes:
    >
    >> jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:

    >
    >>> That means the work wasn't done by the monitor group
    >>> and the gear had to have been hung off the Hardware Engineering
    >>> system....in 1978? Dick Helliwell "owned" that system.

    >
    >> Hmm. I'll have to get a phone number for Dick from Ralph Gorin and see

    what
    >> he has to say about the RP07.

    >
    >So I did that (well, got RPH's e-mail address), and asked him. He didn't

    have
    >much to add, but suggested that I ask Ron McLean myself, and forwarded my

    query
    >on to Ron. With Ron's permission, I'm posting his response:
    >
    > From: Ron McLean [ronmclean@....net]
    > Date: Wed 2/7/2007 10:25 AM
    >
    > It's true that prior to about 1973 Wachs & Flemming did
    > almost all the new hardware development. Tops10 was the
    > primary operating system and they need the hardware working
    > there first for sale. After the release of KL10/20's this
    > was less the case since Tops20 had more funding I was
    > usually asked to do a lot of the new hardware implementation
    > (Disk/Tape/HSC). I generally got disks sooner than most
    > because they also had to run with the KL front end
    > software. The RP07's and later drives were therefore done
    > by me first. The changes were usually minimal since it was
    > only table entries for the disk and tape drivers and after
    > doing that I could test these drives. I also did the first
    > implementation of software for the KS10 since there was
    > little interest there for Tops10 on that platform.
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't remember ever doing much on the hardware machines
    > for KL's so I presume I did the implementation on the Tops20
    > test machines. The diagnostic guys usually did there tests
    > with the hardware machines and then things were moved.
    >
    > Ron (Tired of being retired ;-.])
    >
    >

    Who is credited in the -20 sources for the HSC?

    /BAH

  19. Re: RP01 and RP02 (RPR02) Disk Drives

    On Jan 27, 5:25 am, Mike Ross wrote:
    > On 18 Jan 2007 21:10:50 -0800, "Tom94022"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >But, has ANYONE SEEN AN RP01 or RP02 recently?

    >
    > FSSVO 'recently' - ten years ago - I had several rather rough old
    > RPR02s. They came with the RP15 controller which was attached to my
    > pdp-15 XVM system:
    >
    > http://www.corestore.org/15-1.htm
    >
    > Unfortunately they were all thrown away following a flood in the
    > property where they were stored.
    >
    > I have recently (last year or two) be in touch with a guy in Canada
    > who has several interesting drives in storage, in not-too-bad shape
    > (I've seen pics): 1 RPR02, 2 RP03's, 2 RP04's and 4 RM03's. Must chase
    > that up; want these for my collection.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Mike
    > --http://www.corestore.org
    > 'As I walk along these shores
    > I am the history within'


    Hi Mike:
    It turns out the RPR02 was a Memorex 660-0 (IBM plug compatible) that
    had come off rent in the Memorex lease base and then was refurbished
    into an RPR02 and resold by Digital. Memorex sold a bunch to Digital
    in the late 1970's. I'd like to arm wrestle for the RPR02 if and when
    you find the guy in Canada :-)

    Stay in touch

    Tom G



  20. Re: RP01 and RP02 (RPR02) Disk Drives

    On Feb 12, 9:17 pm, "Tom94022" wrote:
    > On Jan 27, 5:25 am, Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 18 Jan 2007 21:10:50 -0800, "Tom94022"
    > > wrote:

    >
    > >

    >
    > > >But, has ANYONE SEEN AN RP01 or RP02 recently?

    >
    > > FSSVO 'recently' - ten years ago - I had several rather rough old
    > > RPR02s. They came with the RP15 controller which was attached to my
    > > pdp-15 XVM system:

    >
    > >http://www.corestore.org/15-1.htm

    >
    > > Unfortunately they were all thrown away following a flood in the
    > > property where they were stored.

    >
    > > I have recently (last year or two) be in touch with a guy in Canada
    > > who has several interesting drives in storage, in not-too-bad shape
    > > (I've seen pics): 1 RPR02, 2 RP03's, 2 RP04's and 4 RM03's. Must chase
    > > that up; want these for my collection.

    >
    > > Cheers

    >
    > > Mike
    > > --http://www.corestore.org
    > > 'As I walk along these shores
    > > I am the history within'

    >
    > Hi Mike:
    > It turns out the RPR02 was a Memorex 660-0 (IBM plug compatible) that
    > had come off rent in the Memorex lease base and then was refurbished
    > into an RPR02 and resold by Digital. Memorex sold a bunch to Digital
    > in the late 1970's. I'd like to arm wrestle for the RPR02 if and when
    > you find the guy in Canada :-)
    >
    > Stay in touch
    >
    > Tom G


    I think the guy in Canada you guys are talking about might be Dylan
    Porter. A whois shows he still owns the pdp8.com site. I remember
    years ago he had an HUGE collection. I did talk to him once but he had
    some personal problems and disappeared for a while. Nice guy. I think
    he was in Niagara Falls or Welland at the time.

    Brian.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast