Still looking for help - DEC

This is a discussion on Still looking for help - DEC ; Hello All I'm still looking for help with the second rescue attempt in Georgia and need either 182 donors of $10 each or 1820 at $1 each. I would like to get to these items before winter really gets here, ...

  1. Still looking for help

    Hello All
    I'm still looking for help with the second rescue attempt in Georgia and
    need either 182 donors of $10 each or 1820 at $1 each. I would like to get
    to these items before winter really gets here, so please if you can spare a
    $1 (one buck) send it to the Houston Computer Museum, 15827 Thistledew
    Drive, Houston, TX 77082-1432. Cash or a check will do. Again the first trip
    was a great success and many thanks to all donors for that rescue.
    www.housoncomputermuseum.org

    Thanks in advance to all,
    John Keys

  2. Re: Still looking for help

    Keys wrote:

    > I'm still looking for help with the second rescue attempt in
    > Georgia and need either 182 donors of $10 each or 1820 at $1 each.
    > I would like to get to these items before winter really gets here,
    > so please if you can spare a $1 (one buck) send it to the Houston
    > Computer Museum, 15827 Thistledew Drive, Houston, TX 77082-1432.
    > Cash or a check will do. Again the first trip was a great success
    > and many thanks to all donors for that rescue.
    > www.housoncomputermuseum.org

    Help for what?

    --
    Some informative links:

  3. Re: Still looking for help

    I assume your "what" question means you missed the list of items on the
    museum's website. The Houston Computer Museum and others are working to
    rescue before it hits the scrapper, a very large collection of mainframe
    items(50's-60's), unit record equipment, S-100 computers and parts, manuals,
    and many more items located in GA. We are getting the bulk of the items and
    other museum's are getting the smaller items. Since we are a small 501
    (c)(3) nonprofit museum we have depend on donations to support everything
    that we do (we do not have millions setting in the bank like some of the
    other museums) and have been asking for donations for the last few weeks to
    support the four major rescues that we have attempted. The other three trips
    (in NE/MO/KS) were all very successful. The GA trip will be the last one for
    this year if we can get the funding from folks like you giving a dollar or
    two to help make it happen.
    "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    > Keys wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm still looking for help with the second rescue attempt in
    >> Georgia and need either 182 donors of $10 each or 1820 at $1 each.
    >> I would like to get to these items before winter really gets here,
    >> so please if you can spare a $1 (one buck) send it to the Houston
    >> Computer Museum, 15827 Thistledew Drive, Houston, TX 77082-1432.
    >> Cash or a check will do. Again the first trip was a great success
    >> and many thanks to all donors for that rescue.
    >> www.housoncomputermuseum.org

    > Help for what?
    >
    > --
    > Some informative links:

  4. Re: Still looking for help

    Keys wrote:
    > "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    >> Keys wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm still looking for help with the second rescue attempt in
    >>> Georgia and need either 182 donors of $10 each or 1820 at $1 each.
    >>> I would like to get to these items before winter really gets here,
    >>> so please if you can spare a $1 (one buck) send it to the Houston
    >>> Computer Museum, 15827 Thistledew Drive, Houston, TX 77082-1432.
    >>> Cash or a check will do. Again the first trip was a great success
    >>> and many thanks to all donors for that rescue.
    >>> www.housoncomputermuseum.org

    >> Help for what?

    > I assume your "what" question means you missed the list of items
    > on the museum's website. The Houston Computer Museum and others
    > are working to rescue before it hits the scrapper, a very large
    > collection of mainframe items(50's-60's), unit record equipment,
    > S-100 computers and parts, manuals, and many more items located in
    > GA. We are getting the bulk of the items and other museum's are
    > getting the smaller items. Since we are a small 501 (c)(3)
    > nonprofit museum we have depend on donations to support everything
    > that we do (we do not have millions setting in the bank like some
    > of the other museums) and have been asking for donations for the
    > last few weeks to support the four major rescues that we have
    > attempted. The other three trips (in NE/MO/KS) were all very
    > successful. The GA trip will be the last one for this year if we
    > can get the funding from folks like you giving a dollar or two to
    > help make it happen.

    Please don't top-post. It makes you look ignorant of established
    protocol. See the links below. I fixed this one.

    The problem is that you failed to include adequate quotations.
    Usenet is not a reliable protocol. Every article needs to stand by
    itself.

    --
    Some informative links:

  5. Re: Still looking for help

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Keys wrote:

    >>> Help for what?

    >> I assume your "what" question means you missed the list of items
    >> on the museum's website. The Houston Computer Museum and others
    >> are working to rescue before it hits the scrapper, a very large
    >> collection of mainframe items(50's-60's), unit record equipment,
    >> S-100 computers and parts, manuals, and many more items located in
    >> GA. We are getting the bulk of the items and other museum's are
    >> getting the smaller items. Since we are a small 501 (c)(3)
    >> nonprofit museum we have depend on donations to support everything
    >> that we do (we do not have millions setting in the bank like some
    >> of the other museums) and have been asking for donations for the
    >> last few weeks to support the four major rescues that we have
    >> attempted. The other three trips (in NE/MO/KS) were all very
    >> successful. The GA trip will be the last one for this year if we
    >> can get the funding from folks like you giving a dollar or two to
    >> help make it happen.

    > Please don't top-post. It makes you look ignorant of established
    > protocol. See the links below. I fixed this one.
    >
    > The problem is that you failed to include adequate quotations.
    > Usenet is not a reliable protocol. Every article needs to stand by
    > itself.

    In addition your original post included an erroneous link to your
    web site. When I corrected the (fairly obvious) typo
    (houson->houston) the result is illegible to me, due to the
    excessive use of color. I am partially color-blind. You are not
    leaving a good impression.

    --
    Some informative links:

  6. Re: Still looking for help

    In article <1159807931.807040.229380@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    redwolfjc@excite.com (RedWolfJC) writes:

    > CB Falconer- Lighten up, dude nobody's gonna get hurt or die or cause a
    > freaking nuclear meltdown because Keys (or I) Top post,

    No, but many people - myself included - will ignore your postings.
    This doesn't help your cause. Since I suspect your cause is a
    worthy one (I don't know for sure because I didn't read beyond
    what I quoted above), this makes it rather tragic, because you
    might be turning away people who would otherwise be willing to help.

    You seem to be labouring under a common misconception. It is not
    the responsibility of (potential) readers to spend their time wading
    through poorly-formed postings. It is the responsibility of the poster
    to make his postings readable.

    --
    /~\ cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

  7. Re: Still looking for help

    The word "Rescue" in this context is kind of silly, imho. I'm sure it's
    very important to you, and I understand it's a worthwhile cause to preserve
    these computers, but men rescue animals, children, and damsels in
    distress... not mainframe computers.

    Ron

    "Keys" wrote in message
    >I assume your "what" question means you missed the list of items on the
    >museum's website. The Houston Computer Museum and others are working to
    >rescue before it hits the scrapper, a very large collection of mainframe
    >items(50's-60's), unit record equipment, S-100 computers and parts,
    >manuals, and many more items located in GA. We are getting the bulk of the
    >items and other museum's are getting the smaller items. Since we are a
    >small 501 (c)(3) nonprofit museum we have depend on donations to support
    >everything that we do (we do not have millions setting in the bank like
    >some of the other museums) and have been asking for donations for the last
    >few weeks to support the four major rescues that we have attempted. The
    >other three trips (in NE/MO/KS) were all very successful. The GA trip will
    >be the last one for this year if we can get the funding from folks like you
    >giving a dollar or two to help make it happen.
    > "CBFalconer" wrote in message
    >> Keys wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm still looking for help with the second rescue attempt in
    >>> Georgia and need either 182 donors of $10 each or 1820 at $1 each.
    >>> I would like to get to these items before winter really gets here,
    >>> so please if you can spare a $1 (one buck) send it to the Houston
    >>> Computer Museum, 15827 Thistledew Drive, Houston, TX 77082-1432.
    >>> Cash or a check will do. Again the first trip was a great success
    >>> and many thanks to all donors for that rescue.
    >>> www.housoncomputermuseum.org

    >> Help for what?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Some informative links:

  8. Re: Still looking for help

    Ron Lyons wrote:
    > The word "Rescue" in this context is kind of silly, imho. I'm sure it's
    > very important to you, and I understand it's a worthwhile cause to preserve
    > these computers, but men rescue animals, children, and damsels in
    > distress... not mainframe computers.

    Welcome to alt.folklore.computers...

    Louis

  9. Re: Still looking for help

    Ron Lyons wrote:
    > The word "Rescue" in this context is kind of silly, imho. I'm sure it's
    > very important to you, and I understand it's a worthwhile cause to preserve
    > these computers, but men rescue animals, children, and damsels in
    > distress... not mainframe computers.

    Hmmm, you need to look at the definition of the word 'Rescue'.

    res·cue
    tr.v., -cued, -cu·ing, -cues.
    To set free, as from danger or imprisonment; save.

    In the computer 'rescue' sense, it means to save a system, usually an
    older and larger system, from destruction. A lot of old mainframe type
    systems wind up as scrap or landfill simply because no one wants them.

    If not for the efforts of such 'rescuers' a lot of computing history
    would be lost.

    Consider how many school children have seen any computer that didn't fit
    on a desk?

    We have an old Vax 6000 at work that is now some 16 years old, which
    makes it ancient by computer standards. It's on the net and handles
    email for the school where I work. We 'rescued' it some 10 years ago
    when it was 'retired' by its original owners.

    Our computing teacher loves having it there, a tour of the computer
    centre is a feature of his subject and the 'Big computer' always
    generates a lot of questions and interest.

    --
    The CO

+ Reply to Thread