VAXSHAD03 - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXSHAD03 - DEC ; Since I have had no responses to my long post under a different title, I'll try a short post with this title. If I physically add an SBB (an RZ28 disk) disk to a running VAX system, in order to ...

  1. VAXSHAD03

    Since I have had no responses to my long post under a different title,
    I'll try a short post with this title.

    If I physically add an SBB (an RZ28 disk) disk to a running VAX system,
    in order to be able to use it, is the best (only) thing to do to issue
    the command

    SYSGEN> AUTOCONFIGURE ALL

    I've done this many times in the past with no problem. Now, it froze
    the process doing it, caused members of shadow sets served by that node
    to be dismounted (after throwing the whole shadow sets into mount
    verification for a while first) and put a single disk (a CD in the
    internal CD drive) into permanent mount verification.

    VAX 7.3 with all patches. In particular, VAXSHAD03 has been recently
    installed. (Since everything looked OK I wanted to add back the member
    of the system-disk shadow set I had removed before patch application for
    use as a quick backup if the patch application caused problems.)

    Has anyone had any problems with this patch?

  2. Re: VAXSHAD03

    In article ,
    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    reply) wrote:

    > Since I have had no responses to my long post under a different title,
    > I'll try a short post with this title.
    >
    > If I physically add an SBB (an RZ28 disk) disk to a running VAX system,
    > in order to be able to use it, is the best (only) thing to do to issue
    > the command
    >
    > SYSGEN> AUTOCONFIGURE ALL
    >
    > I've done this many times in the past with no problem. Now, it froze
    > the process doing it, caused members of shadow sets served by that node
    > to be dismounted (after throwing the whole shadow sets into mount
    > verification for a while first) and put a single disk (a CD in the
    > internal CD drive) into permanent mount verification.

    I don't know how up to date the following text is with regard to device
    types, but I've always tried to avoid using AUTOCONFIGURE ALL on a
    "fully up and running" system:

    SYSGEN> HELP AUTO PARAMETER

    AUTOCONFIGURE

    Parameter
    ..
    ..
    ..

    CAUTION

    If you use the AUTOCONFIGURE ALL command on a running system
    with active UNIBUS or Q-bus devices, it could result in
    unpredictable behavior.

    --
    Paul Sture

+ Reply to Thread