DEC RAIDArray310 user manual? - DEC

This is a discussion on DEC RAIDArray310 user manual? - DEC ; Hi, I have recently acquired a DEC RAIDArray 310. (It's an external SCSI RAID controller with seven drives in a pedestal cabinet, about 10 years old.) Does anyone have a copy of the user's manual or reference guide or equivalent? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

  1. DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

    Hi,

    I have recently acquired a DEC RAIDArray 310. (It's an external SCSI RAID
    controller with seven drives in a pedestal cabinet, about 10 years old.)

    Does anyone have a copy of the user's manual or reference guide or
    equivalent? The online help is adequate for configuring it, but I would
    like some guidance on how it handles drive failues -- and the procedure for
    physically replacing a failed drive.

    (Cross-posted to comp.os.vms & comp.sys.dec, please reply to me via email
    address below OR to the newsgroup in which you read this message.)

    Thanks,

    Jeremy Begg
    jeremy AT vsm DOT com DOT au

    


  2. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

    Jeremy Begg wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently acquired a DEC RAIDArray 310. (It's an external SCSI
    > RAID controller with seven drives in a pedestal cabinet, about 10 years
    > old.)
    >
    > Does anyone have a copy of the user's manual or reference guide or
    > equivalent? The online help is adequate for configuring it, but I would
    > like some guidance on how it handles drive failues -- and the procedure
    > for physically replacing a failed drive.
    >
    > (Cross-posted to comp.os.vms & comp.sys.dec, please reply to me via
    > email address below OR to the newsgroup in which you read this message.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeremy Begg
    > jeremy AT vsm DOT com DOT au
    >
    > 
    >


    Is that dual HSZ50 based with, ISTR, four shelves? I had one at my last
    job. Don't have the docs for the whole thing but I do have, at least I
    think I have, docs for the HSZ50.

    You want "Digital StorageWorks HSZ50 Array Controller HSOF V5.x Service
    Manual. (Mine is V5.1) Part Number EK-HSZ50-SV.C01. To replace a
    drive: ensure that the drive is not in use; e.g. remove it from any RAID
    set it was a member of or dismount it if it was a JBOD. Grasp the drive
    by the squeeze tabs and pull. As soon as the drive comes free of the
    rear connector, pause to let the drive spin down. Pull the drive the
    rest of the way out of the slot. Insert replacement drive. Add the
    drive to the RAID set or just mount it if it was a JBOD.

    A failed drive is indicated by an amber light on the front of the drive;
    the same one that turns on when you use a "Locate" command.



  3. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?


    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Jeremy Begg wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have recently acquired a DEC RAIDArray 310. (It's an external SCSI
    > > RAID controller with seven drives in a pedestal cabinet, about 10 years
    > > old.)
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a copy of the user's manual or reference guide or
    > > equivalent? The online help is adequate for configuring it, but I would
    > > like some guidance on how it handles drive failues -- and the procedure
    > > for physically replacing a failed drive.
    > >
    > > (Cross-posted to comp.os.vms & comp.sys.dec, please reply to me via
    > > email address below OR to the newsgroup in which you read this message.)
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeremy Begg
    > > jeremy AT vsm DOT com DOT au
    > >
    > > 
    > >

    >
    > Is that dual HSZ50 based with, ISTR, four shelves? I had one at my last
    > job. Don't have the docs for the whole thing but I do have, at least I
    > think I have, docs for the HSZ50.
    >
    > You want "Digital StorageWorks HSZ50 Array Controller HSOF V5.x Service
    > Manual. (Mine is V5.1) Part Number EK-HSZ50-SV.C01. To replace a
    > drive: ensure that the drive is not in use; e.g. remove it from any RAID
    > set it was a member of or dismount it if it was a JBOD. Grasp the drive
    > by the squeeze tabs and pull. As soon as the drive comes free of the
    > rear connector, pause to let the drive spin down. Pull the drive the
    > rest of the way out of the slot. Insert replacement drive. Add the
    > drive to the RAID set or just mount it if it was a JBOD.
    >
    > A failed drive is indicated by an amber light on the front of the drive;
    > the same one that turns on when you use a "Locate" command.


    IIRC the RAIDArray 310 used the HSZ20 controller. You can find a bit
    of information out about it in the SOC archives at
    http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/q...C/QB00MSPF.PDF So far
    in Googling, I haven't found any online copies of any manuals but try
    combinations of HSZ20, HSZ22, RA310, SWXRA-ZX and maybe you'll have
    better luck than I did.


  4. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

    johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >>Jeremy Begg wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have recently acquired a DEC RAIDArray 310. (It's an external SCSI
    >>>RAID controller with seven drives in a pedestal cabinet, about 10 years
    >>>old.)
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have a copy of the user's manual or reference guide or
    >>>equivalent? The online help is adequate for configuring it, but I would
    >>>like some guidance on how it handles drive failues -- and the procedure
    >>>for physically replacing a failed drive.
    >>>
    >>>(Cross-posted to comp.os.vms & comp.sys.dec, please reply to me via
    >>>email address below OR to the newsgroup in which you read this message.)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jeremy Begg
    >>> jeremy AT vsm DOT com DOT au
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>Is that dual HSZ50 based with, ISTR, four shelves? I had one at my last
    >>job. Don't have the docs for the whole thing but I do have, at least I
    >>think I have, docs for the HSZ50.
    >>
    >>You want "Digital StorageWorks HSZ50 Array Controller HSOF V5.x Service
    >>Manual. (Mine is V5.1) Part Number EK-HSZ50-SV.C01. To replace a
    >>drive: ensure that the drive is not in use; e.g. remove it from any RAID
    >>set it was a member of or dismount it if it was a JBOD. Grasp the drive
    >>by the squeeze tabs and pull. As soon as the drive comes free of the
    >>rear connector, pause to let the drive spin down. Pull the drive the
    >>rest of the way out of the slot. Insert replacement drive. Add the
    >>drive to the RAID set or just mount it if it was a JBOD.
    >>
    >>A failed drive is indicated by an amber light on the front of the drive;
    >>the same one that turns on when you use a "Locate" command.

    >
    >
    > IIRC the RAIDArray 310 used the HSZ20 controller. You can find a bit
    > of information out about it in the SOC archives at
    > http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/q...C/QB00MSPF.PDF So far
    > in Googling, I haven't found any online copies of any manuals but try
    > combinations of HSZ20, HSZ22, RA310, SWXRA-ZX and maybe you'll have
    > better luck than I did.
    >


    A good link! The hardware I was thinking of is the RAID Array 450!
    The 310 is something a lot more modest.

  5. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    news:AcSdnc-BRr4XLIXYnZ2dnUVZ_rOdnZ2d@comcast.com...
    > johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >>

    [...snip...]
    >>

    >
    > A good link! The hardware I was thinking of is the RAID Array 450! The
    > 310 is something a lot more modest.
    >


    Go to google and search on "raid array 450" (in quotes)

    Alternatively, search from here:
    http://www.hp.com/go/storageworks/OpenVMS
    for things like: HSZ40, RA410, HSZ22, etc.


    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...l_openvms.html



  6. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

    Hi,

    On September 26 I wrote,
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently acquired a DEC RAIDArray 310. (It's an external SCSI
    > RAID controller with seven drives in a pedestal cabinet, about 10 years
    > old.)
    >
    > Does anyone have a copy of the user's manual or reference guide or
    > equivalent? The online help is adequate for configuring it, but I would
    > like some guidance on how it handles drive failues -- and the procedure
    > for physically replacing a failed drive.


    Many thanks to all who responded, I now have more documentation on this
    thing than I thought could ever exist :-)

    The controller appears to be fine except for the cache battery which expired
    in 2003 and has degraded to the extent that the controller won't use it.
    Which means that we're limited to JBOD until we can find a replacement. A
    reseller suggested I should be able to go to any battery "superstore" and
    find something suitable, but I'm not so sure. Any further comment would be
    welcome.

    Regards,

    Jeremy Begg


  7. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?

    Jeremy Begg writes:

    > The controller appears to be fine except for the cache battery which
    > expired in 2003 and has degraded to the extent that the controller
    > won't use it. Which means that we're limited to JBOD until we can
    > find a replacement. A reseller suggested I should be able to go to
    > any battery "superstore" and find something suitable, but I'm not so
    > sure. Any further comment would be welcome.


    DEC often used Gates, aka Hawken Cyclon lead acid cells. Super D I think
    is the size. Note, they are NOT gel cells, a gel cell would evaporate under
    the loads Cyclons can run at. If it is a SW brick like unit with a tiny
    D like connector, it takes 2 of them per side.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    West Australia 6076
    comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.

  8. Re: DEC RAIDArray310 user manual?


    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > In article <12i6agjri5ct40b@corp.supernews.com>,
    > Jeremy Begg writes:
    > >
    > > The controller appears to be fine except for the cache battery which expired
    > > in 2003 and has degraded to the extent that the controller won't use it.
    > > Which means that we're limited to JBOD until we can find a replacement. A
    > > reseller suggested I should be able to go to any battery "superstore" and
    > > find something suitable, but I'm not so sure. Any further comment would be
    > > welcome.
    > >

    > If you have the unit on a UPS ( or preferably two different UPSes, one
    > into each power supply ) then you can enable full functionality without
    > a live battery by entering the command
    >
    > SET THIS_CONTROLLER CACHE_UPS
    >
    > I think you need to restart after entering this command.
    >
    > Be careful to not lose power if you do this as you may do some serious
    > damage to your mirrorsets and raidsets.
    >
    > "Lose power" in this case includes turning the power switch off without
    > first doing a:
    >
    > SHUTDOWN THIS_CONTROLLER
    >
    >
    > as to the battery, I suspect a battery superstore should be able to get
    > one for you. As you've probably already determined you need to disassemble
    > the entire unit to get the battery out (that was the thing I hated most
    > about these units).


    Do a search of the newsgroup for "HSx battery" and you will get a
    couple hits about where to get replacement cells and a couple methods
    for replacing them. You want the post from Duncan Brown. I've done
    replacements on both the older style Storageworks bricks as described
    in his posts and for the batteries in the Model 2200 Storage Shelves
    for the HSG80. They both use the same basic Hawker Cyclon 2V lead
    battery. In fact, I just disassembled the ECB for an HSV110 (EVA5000)
    and each of the two batteries in those units used 3 of the same cells
    soldered onto a PC board. They are hot-glued into the plastic shells,
    so I'm lucky mine are still good (for now) but at least I know where to
    get the cells.

    Hopefully the ECB's for your RAIDarray are similar. The cells are
    available for about $8 each so if you can do some soldering then you
    can build new ones fairly cheap. One of the suppliers mentioned in the
    other posts also has assembled packs for the StorageWorks brick style.
    Unfortunately the connectors are wrong for the Model 2200 version
    (contrary to my earlier posting) so you can't use the pre-assembled
    packs.

    John H. Reinhardt


+ Reply to Thread