Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off) - DEC

This is a discussion on Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off) - DEC ; I have a Digital Server 5305 (converted to an ALPHAserver 1200 by a quick modification of the firmware). It is configured as a satellite and I only boot it when I need to run CSWB. (No other systems in my ...

  1. Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off)

    I have a Digital Server 5305 (converted to an ALPHAserver 1200 by a
    quick modification of the firmware). It is configured as a satellite
    and I only boot it when I need to run CSWB. (No other systems in my
    cluster at the moment are powerful enough, but the 5305 uses too much
    power to keep on all the time.) I notice that when it is switched off
    the casing near the upper of the two power cords remains warm, so it is
    drawing some current.

    How much? Does only the upper power cable draw current when it is
    switched off?

    Obviously, if I only boot it when I need CSWB and otherwise switch it
    off, that makes no sense if it continues to draw an appreciable amount
    of current. On the other hand, could physically removing the power
    cable have bad effects?

    (Some ALPHAservers have a "soft" power switch on the front and a "hard"
    one on the back. That's not the case with the 5305, though, which has
    only the former.)

    A side question: what is the least powerful system (CPU, memory, cache)
    which is capable of running CSWB at an "acceptable" speed for "average"
    web pages?

  2. Re: Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption whenswitched off)

    > I have a Digital Server 5305 (converted to an ALPHAserver 1200 by a
    > quick modification of the firmware). It is configured as a satellite
    > and I only boot it when I need to run CSWB. (No other systems in my
    > cluster at the moment are powerful enough, but the 5305 uses too much
    > power to keep on all the time.) I notice that when it is switched off
    > the casing near the upper of the two power cords remains warm, so it is
    > drawing some current.
    >
    > How much? Does only the upper power cable draw current when it is
    > switched off?
    >
    > Obviously, if I only boot it when I need CSWB and otherwise switch it
    > off, that makes no sense if it continues to draw an appreciable amount
    > of current. On the other hand, could physically removing the power
    > cable have bad effects?
    >
    > (Some ALPHAservers have a "soft" power switch on the front and a "hard"
    > one on the back. That's not the case with the 5305, though, which has
    > only the former.)
    >
    > A side question: what is the least powerful system (CPU, memory, cache)
    > which is capable of running CSWB at an "acceptable" speed for "average"
    > web pages?

    I know exactly what you speak of, mine does the exact same thing.
    Actually, we ran the 5305 en masse for a while at work when they were
    still popular, and we had the same concerns.

    In the end, we ended up unplugging them when they weren't used and we
    noticed no ill-effects.

    I do have a question for you, how did you convert the 5305 to an AS1200?
    I would like to actually have an AS1200, even though various *nixes,
    VMS, and (gulp) Windows have ran on this machine.

    Regards,

    AJ Schroeder

  3. Re: Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off)

    In article <450D5819.80000@no-spamhotmail.com>, "Schroeder, AJ"
    writes:

    > I do have a question for you, how did you convert the 5305 to an AS1200?

    Hans Vlems, regular poster here, has a description on his web pages.

    I can't find the URL now, but if no-one else can find it by tomorrow
    evening I'll try to dig it out.

  4. Re: Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off)

    > I have a Digital Server 5305 (converted to an ALPHAserver 1200 by a
    > quick modification of the firmware). It is configured as a satellite
    > and I only boot it when I need to run CSWB. (No other systems in my
    > cluster at the moment are powerful enough, but the 5305 uses too much
    > power to keep on all the time.) I notice that when it is switched off
    > the casing near the upper of the two power cords remains warm, so it is
    > drawing some current.
    >
    > How much? Does only the upper power cable draw current when it is
    > switched off?
    >
    > Obviously, if I only boot it when I need CSWB and otherwise switch it
    > off, that makes no sense if it continues to draw an appreciable amount
    > of current. On the other hand, could physically removing the power
    > cable have bad effects?
    >
    > (Some ALPHAservers have a "soft" power switch on the front and a "hard"
    > one on the back. That's not the case with the 5305, though, which has
    > only the former.)
    >
    > A side question: what is the least powerful system (CPU, memory, cache)
    > which is capable of running CSWB at an "acceptable" speed for "average"
    > web pages?

    I consider my PWS600au to be acceptable with CSWB, especially with the
    4D20 Powerstorm card in it, and I've used a PWS433au briefly and it
    seemed OK. I've also tried it on a DS10 6/600 and it was _very_ nice;
    if I could afford one that would be my choice.

    Are small online power meters available in Europe? I've got a P3
    Kill-a-watt (see it at
    http://www.p3international.com/produ.../P4400-CE.html )
    but its for US spec power. I bought mine at Amazon for about $30 a
    couple years ago and its great for determining things like power draw
    and usage (its one of the reasons I could justify the cost of a DS10L
    from Islandco early this year to replace my room heater AS600 5/333
    web/mail/etc server)

    Rich

  5. Re: Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off)

    "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    schreef in bericht news:eekgt6$hod$1@online.de...
    > In article <450D5819.80000@no-spamhotmail.com>, "Schroeder, AJ"
    > writes:
    >
    > > I do have a question for you, how did you convert the 5305 to an AS1200?

    > Hans Vlems, regular poster here, has a description on his web pages.
    >
    > I can't find the URL now, but if no-one else can find it by tomorrow
    > evening I'll try to dig it out.

    home.zonnet.nl/hvlems

    Hans

  6. Re: Digital Server 5305 (ALPHAserver 1200) power consumption when switched off)

    "Rich Jordan" schreef in bericht
    news:1158546432.037617.277050@i42g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    > > I have a Digital Server 5305 (converted to an ALPHAserver 1200 by a
    > > quick modification of the firmware). It is configured as a satellite
    > > and I only boot it when I need to run CSWB. (No other systems in my
    > > cluster at the moment are powerful enough, but the 5305 uses too much
    > > power to keep on all the time.) I notice that when it is switched off
    > > the casing near the upper of the two power cords remains warm, so it is
    > > drawing some current.
    > >
    > > How much? Does only the upper power cable draw current when it is
    > > switched off?
    > >
    > > Obviously, if I only boot it when I need CSWB and otherwise switch it
    > > off, that makes no sense if it continues to draw an appreciable amount
    > > of current. On the other hand, could physically removing the power
    > > cable have bad effects?
    > >
    > > (Some ALPHAservers have a "soft" power switch on the front and a "hard"
    > > one on the back. That's not the case with the 5305, though, which has
    > > only the former.)
    > >
    > > A side question: what is the least powerful system (CPU, memory, cache)
    > > which is capable of running CSWB at an "acceptable" speed for "average"
    > > web pages?

    > I consider my PWS600au to be acceptable with CSWB, especially with the
    > 4D20 Powerstorm card in it, and I've used a PWS433au briefly and it
    > seemed OK. I've also tried it on a DS10 6/600 and it was _very_ nice;
    > if I could afford one that would be my choice.
    >
    > Are small online power meters available in Europe? I've got a P3
    > Kill-a-watt (see it at
    > http://www.p3international.com/produ.../P4400-CE.html )
    > but its for US spec power. I bought mine at Amazon for about $30 a
    > couple years ago and its great for determining things like power draw
    > and usage (its one of the reasons I could justify the cost of a DS10L
    > from Islandco early this year to replace my room heater AS600 5/333
    > web/mail/etc server)
    >
    > Rich

    My guess is that the 5305 takes about 5 W when powered off, perhaps even
    less. The rear panel is luke warm so it can't dissipate more than that. 5
    Watts, that comes to 5*24*7 or less than one kWhr per week. Say 20 eurocents
    a week to keep the system warm and happy. It sure improves the lifespan of
    the system: no condensation of water vapour, less mechanical stress on
    solder joints etc.

+ Reply to Thread