VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK - DEC

This is a discussion on VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK - DEC ; I have a VAX 4000 model 600 surplus to requirements which I would like to see go to a good home rather than be scrapped. I'm in Manchester, UK. The machine is rather bulky, so any takers would have to ...

  1. VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    I have a VAX 4000 model 600 surplus to requirements which I would like to
    see go to a good home rather than be scrapped. I'm in Manchester, UK. The
    machine is rather bulky, so any takers would have to come and collect it
    or arrange shipping at their cost.

    It has something like 512MB of memory and three DSSI disks and a TK-70
    drive all mounted in the same chassis. I don't have access to the machine
    right now, so I'm going by memory here. Actual specification may be
    different.

    The only known fault that I am aware of is that I get error messages about
    the fuse having blown on one of the DSSI channels. I've not been able to
    locate said fuse so far!

    There are no manuals with it.

    If anyone is interested then please contact me personally by e-mail at
    tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk. I no longer subscribe to these groups, so
    I'm unlikely to see a response there.

    Regards,
    Tony.

  2. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    In article , Tony
    Arnold writes:

    > I have a VAX 4000 model 600 surplus to requirements which I would like to
    > see go to a good home rather than be scrapped. I'm in Manchester, UK. The
    > machine is rather bulky, so any takers would have to come and collect it
    > or arrange shipping at their cost.

    > If anyone is interested then please contact me personally by e-mail at
    > tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk. I no longer subscribe to these groups, so
    > I'm unlikely to see a response there.

    I used to be in Manchester and I used to use this machine. I have seen
    it. It is not desktop, but neither is it the size of a full-size
    refrigerator. It will fit under a desk. It should fit in any car
    (except perhaps something like a Smart or Fiat 500).

    512 MB is a huge amount of memory for a VAX. This would make a good
    hobbyist machine since it is quite powerful (for a VAX), can let one
    learn about DSSI etc.

    I would take it myself but I have to watch my space (I have 15 VAXes and
    11 ALPHAs at home now; it's ALMOST time to stop!) and power bills (since
    I have 3 or 4 (mostly small, but nevertheless) machines running full
    time). However, for a hobbyist running just this machine, power
    consumption shouldn't be too bad (you don't need three-phase power,
    special fuses or whatever.) The machine is certainly in good working
    order; fellow hobbyists: don't let it go to the scrap heap!

  3. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    > special fuses or whatever.) The machine is certainly in good working
    > order; fellow hobbyists: don't let it go to the scrap heap!

    If it weren't for trans-pond transportantion costs, I would most
    certaintly take it. But if nobody else wants it, i would hope the
    person would at least offer parts of it. I would take the memory boards
    for instance and perhaps some DSSI drives and perhaps teh CPU board
    (backup) etc etc.

  4. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    In article ,
    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    reply) wrote:

    > I used to be in Manchester and I used to use this machine. I have seen
    > it. It is not desktop, but neither is it the size of a full-size
    > refrigerator. It will fit under a desk. It should fit in any car
    > (except perhaps something like a Smart or Fiat 500).

    If it's like my 4000 m 500A, it's 29" high, 19" wide, and around 17"
    deep. And will weigh in at something like 100lbs or so. I've not
    weighed my machine, so I can't say for sure. It was heavy, but I
    managed to get it up the stairs by myself, though it took me a while.

    > 512 MB is a huge amount of memory for a VAX. This would make a good
    > hobbyist machine since it is quite powerful (for a VAX), can let one
    > learn about DSSI etc.

    It's an /insane/ amount of memory for a VAX. This is a problem?? :-)
    What the heck was this machine doing?? Sound like someone simply maxed
    it out!

    > I would take it myself but I have to watch my space (I have 15 VAXes and
    > 11 ALPHAs at home now; it's ALMOST time to stop!) and power bills (since
    > I have 3 or 4 (mostly small, but nevertheless) machines running full
    > time).

    I was gonna ask, but okay, you're excused. You don't have a low end
    machine this could replace, though? C'mon. You know you want it.

    > However, for a hobbyist running just this machine, power
    > consumption shouldn't be too bad (you don't need three-phase power,
    > special fuses or whatever.) The machine is certainly in good working
    > order; fellow hobbyists: don't let it go to the scrap heap!

    Check the web for specs, people! This sounds like a heck of a box.

    --
    Being quick to take offense is not a virtue.

  5. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    In article , Howard S
    Shubs writes:

    > If it's like my 4000 m 500A, it's 29" high, 19" wide, and around 17"
    > deep. And will weigh in at something like 100lbs or so. I've not
    > weighed my machine, so I can't say for sure. It was heavy, but I
    > managed to get it up the stairs by myself, though it took me a while.

    Sounds about right.

    > > 512 MB is a huge amount of memory for a VAX. This would make a good
    > > hobbyist machine since it is quite powerful (for a VAX), can let one
    > > learn about DSSI etc.

    > It's an /insane/ amount of memory for a VAX. This is a problem?? :-)
    > What the heck was this machine doing?? Sound like someone simply maxed
    > it out!

    I think it used to do quite a lot.

    > > I would take it myself but I have to watch my space (I have 15 VAXes and
    > > 11 ALPHAs at home now; it's ALMOST time to stop!) and power bills (since
    > > I have 3 or 4 (mostly small, but nevertheless) machines running full
    > > time).

    > I was gonna ask, but okay, you're excused. You don't have a low end
    > machine this could replace, though? C'mon. You know you want it.

    You're talking to someone (me!) who recently gave away an ALPHAserver
    2000 and an ALPHAserver 2100. Actually, small, relatively fast VAXes
    (e.g. VAXstation 4000/90A or VAX 4000/105A) are good enough for most of
    what I do at home, can have SCSI disks and don't need much power or
    space. I have an ALPHAserver 1200 (a.k.a. Digital Server 5305)
    configured as a satellite which I boot up when I need to use CSWB which
    is my most powerful machine (though now that I have two new (to me)
    smaller EV5 machines, I'll probably use those for CSWB). I have an
    ALPHA in the cluster so that I can let it have the cluster alias most of
    the time to make use of TCPIP 5.4 features (mainly the anti-spam stuff)
    and more advanced Fortran. At home, at most I would need more CPU power
    if I do any number crunching, but EV5 and EV56 ALPHAs are what I need to
    switch on there (and they will need less power and space than the big
    VAX).

  6. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    reply) wrote:

    > You're talking to someone (me!) who recently gave away an ALPHAserver
    > 2000 and an ALPHAserver 2100.

    Okay, so this would /be/ the low end machine you'd upgrade. Must really
    suck to be you! :-D

    Wish you were on this side of the pond, or visa versa. Oh well. I've
    honestly got more than I need in VAXes. I could use a more powerful
    Alpha, though. My Alphastation 255 /works/ but it's, y'know, small.

    I've found that my main CPU-bound task doesn't work well on Alpha. I
    run the distributed.net client, you see. Compared to a PPC-based Mac,
    or a Pentium-based Windows box, Alpha doesn't measure up. I understand
    this is because Alpha doesn't have bit-wise shift in its architecture
    while the others do. That operation is fairly central to the dnet
    client. I haven't tried it on VAX due to lack of a client, though I've
    considered trying to build such a client.

    --
    Being quick to take offense is not a virtue.

  7. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:50:39 -0700, Howard S Shubs
    wrote:

    > In article ,
    > helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    > reply) wrote:
    >
    >> You're talking to someone (me!) who recently gave away an ALPHAserver
    >> 2000 and an ALPHAserver 2100.

    > Okay, so this would /be/ the low end machine you'd upgrade. Must really
    > suck to be you! :-D
    >
    > Wish you were on this side of the pond, or visa versa. Oh well. I've
    > honestly got more than I need in VAXes. I could use a more powerful
    > Alpha, though. My Alphastation 255 /works/ but it's, y'know, small.
    >
    > I've found that my main CPU-bound task doesn't work well on Alpha. I
    > run the distributed.net client, you see. Compared to a PPC-based Mac,
    > or a Pentium-based Windows box, Alpha doesn't measure up. I understand
    > this is because Alpha doesn't have bit-wise shift in its architecture
    > while the others do. That operation is fairly central to the dnet
    > client. I haven't tried it on VAX due to lack of a client, though I've
    > considered trying to build such a client.

    Even the first Alphas had a shift instruction, what they were lacking was
    sign-extended moves for 8 and 16 bit integers.

  8. Re: VAX 4000/600 free to good home - Manchester UK

    Wow, what a lot of interest this posting generated, not only here in the
    news group but also privately.

    Had several offers, but the first person to offer came and took it away on
    Thursday. He is one of the few people I know of who has built a three
    architecture cluster, so I reckon it's gone to a good home!

    BTW, the machine only had 256MB, which is still an insane amount for a
    VAX. Originally, it had two extra cabinets with a total of about 9 DSSI
    disks. I disposed of these cabinets and their disks some time ago. It was
    used at one time to run payroll and other administrative applications in a
    small University here in the UK. I had to INIT/ERASE all the disks before
    I was allowed to take it out of its machine room!

    Regards,
    Tony.

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:43:07 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:

    > I have a VAX 4000 model 600 surplus to requirements which I would like to
    > see go to a good home rather than be scrapped. I'm in Manchester, UK. The
    > machine is rather bulky, so any takers would have to come and collect it
    > or arrange shipping at their cost.
    >
    > It has something like 512MB of memory and three DSSI disks and a TK-70
    > drive all mounted in the same chassis. I don't have access to the machine
    > right now, so I'm going by memory here. Actual specification may be
    > different.
    >
    > The only known fault that I am aware of is that I get error messages about
    > the fuse having blown on one of the DSSI channels. I've not been able to
    > locate said fuse so far!
    >
    > There are no manuals with it.
    >
    > If anyone is interested then please contact me personally by e-mail at
    > tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk. I no longer subscribe to these groups, so
    > I'm unlikely to see a response there.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tony.