low resolution on XGA - DEC

This is a discussion on low resolution on XGA - DEC ; Hi, I have DEC (Hinote Ultra 2000) laptop with 14.1" XGA (1024*768) screen. In resolutions 800*600 and 640*480 viewable screen is on center -with black borders. In other laptops (Dell, CaliforniaAcces etc.)screen are automatic resize to full screen. On HP/Compaq ...

  1. low resolution on XGA

    Hi,
    I have DEC (Hinote Ultra 2000) laptop with 14.1" XGA (1024*768) screen. In
    resolutions 800*600 and 640*480 viewable screen is on center -with black
    borders. In other laptops (Dell, CaliforniaAcces etc.)screen are automatic
    resize to full screen.
    On HP/Compaq website there is not drivers for this LCD (I have Windows Me),
    and there is not any special key to resize screen.
    How can I resize to full scren on low resolution? Any drivers, software,
    emulation low resolution on XGA?

    Greattings!

  2. Re: low resolution on XGA

    - wrote:

    > I have DEC (Hinote Ultra 2000) laptop with 14.1" XGA (1024*768) screen. In
    > resolutions 800*600 and 640*480 viewable screen is on center -with black
    > borders. In other laptops (Dell, CaliforniaAcces etc.)screen are automatic
    > resize to full screen.

    Similar newer laptops, or ones as old as the Ultra 2000? (The last updates I
    see for that were circa 1998.)

    > On HP/Compaq website there is not drivers for this LCD (I have Windows Me),
    > and there is not any special key to resize screen.
    > How can I resize to full scren on low resolution? Any drivers, software,
    > emulation low resolution on XGA?

    Unlike CRTs, LCDs typically have a single native resolution, and they convert
    (scale) other resolutions into that, or they clip to it, or letter/windowbox.

    That's what many of the old laptops did when operating outside of the native
    resolution, and the scaling that was common at the time was often a little ugly
    -- even now with the scaling seen with various DTVs, the scaling can sometimes
    be noticeable. That's why you see letterbox and windowbox displays.

    There's something that's apparently failed or dropped offline in the last
    couple of weeks, based on what I see in the Google cache -- there's an area of
    drivers for the DIGITAL products, but the web server pages are presently
    inaccessible. (You can find the DIGITAL legacy support web page contents in the
    Google cache, but not within the HP web server farm. You might also be able to
    find information via the wayback machine over at archive.org, but that I don't
    know for certain.)

    Even on current-generation LCDs, I tend to run native resolutions.

  3. Re: low resolution on XGA

    > Unlike CRTs, LCDs typically have a single native resolution, and they
    > convert
    > (scale) other resolutions into that, or they clip to it, or
    > letter/windowbox.

    In text-mode scaling to full scren works automaticly. But on graphics
    moge... not Only in 512*384 pix.

    > That's what many of the old laptops did when operating outside of the
    > native resolution, and the scaling that was common at the time was often a
    > little ugly -- even now with the scaling seen with various DTVs, the
    > scaling can sometimes be noticeable. That's why you see letterbox and
    > windowbox displays.
    >
    > There's something that's apparently failed or dropped offline in the
    > last couple of weeks, based on what I see in the Google cache -- there's
    > an area of drivers for the DIGITAL products, but the web server pages are
    > presently inaccessible. (You can find the DIGITAL legacy support web page
    > contents in the Google cache, but not within the HP web server farm. You
    > might also be able to find information via the wayback machine over at
    > archive.org, but that I don't know for certain.)

    There isn't in goole-temprtary, because that was archives or executable
    files (not html). I downloaded only drivers, not DOC files Who know where
    I found it?

    > Even on current-generation LCDs, I tend to run native resolutions.

    On other old laptops (CA with P120MHz, Compaq w. 486DX4) resize to full
    screen in lower resolutions are works perfecly...

  4. Re: low resolution on XGA

    - wrote:

    >> Unlike CRTs, LCDs typically have a single native resolution, and
    >> they convert
    >> (scale) other resolutions into that, or they clip to it, or
    >> letter/windowbox.

    > In text-mode scaling to full scren works automaticly. But on graphics
    > moge... not Only in 512*384 pix.

    There is something wrong with your settings, or with the video in this HiNote
    Ultra 2000 series system. Did somebody alter something here within the BIOS
    settings? (512 x 384 isn't a ratio that I recognize as valid, other than
    obviously being exactly half of what I expect the real ratio might well be.)

    The HiNote Ultra 2000 also has the ability to display out a VGA connector.
    Tried that? (There's a function key pair that controls the screen display;
    where the output ends up, IIRC.) Depending on the settings on the auxiliary
    screen connector, you might well affect what can be shown on the LCD.

+ Reply to Thread