DS20 never gives firmware prompt - DEC

This is a discussion on DS20 never gives firmware prompt - DEC ; I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display, but my console (graphics) ...

  1. DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It
    tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal
    startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display,
    but my console (graphics) shows only the blue screen, with a flashing
    cursor, and nothing else. No diagnostics, nothing.

    I've pulled all of the cards (aside from the graphics, and I've cleaned
    and reseated it), pulled the second CPU, tried swapping the CPU's,
    reseated all of the memory, everything I can think of, and this is
    still the condition is stays in. It's been a long while since I've
    worked with these machines, but I don't think I'm missing anything.
    This is all stock stuff, this machine ran well for years (I originally
    bought it eight years ago, and it's come full circle back to me). No
    third-party parts or anything, all DEC/Compaq stuff.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks very much in advance.

    (Sorry, but I've cross-posted this to the osf-alpha group, did it there
    first prior to finding this group)

  2. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    On 13 Aug 2006 09:48:05 -0700
    Mark.B.Morgan@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It
    > tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal
    > startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display,
    > but my console (graphics) shows only the blue screen, with a flashing
    > cursor, and nothing else. No diagnostics, nothing.
    >
    > I've pulled all of the cards (aside from the graphics, and I've
    > cleaned and reseated it), pulled the second CPU, tried swapping the
    > CPU's, reseated all of the memory, everything I can think of, and
    > this is still the condition is stays in. It's been a long while
    > since I've worked with these machines, but I don't think I'm missing
    > anything. This is all stock stuff, this machine ran well for years (I
    > originally bought it eight years ago, and it's come full circle back
    > to me). No third-party parts or anything, all DEC/Compaq stuff.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?

    Yeah. The console is probably set to serial. If you have a null modem
    cable, you can fire up some terminal emulation on a different computer
    and check the output on your DS20 and set the console back to graphics
    mode via ">>> set console graphics".
    I'm not quite sure, but it might also help to hit some keys during
    initialization.

    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > (Sorry, but I've cross-posted this to the osf-alpha group, did it
    > there first prior to finding this group)

    HTH,

    Marc

  3. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    Been there, done that. Should have mentioned that I've been through
    that portion of things. Unless my serial cable is bad (which isn't
    entirely out of the question, I suppose), that's not it. I think I'll
    hunt down another serial cable and try again, though.

    Thanks!

    Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > On 13 Aug 2006 09:48:05 -0700
    > Mark.B.Morgan@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It
    > > tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal
    > > startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display,
    > > but my console (graphics) shows only the blue screen, with a flashing
    > > cursor, and nothing else. No diagnostics, nothing.
    > >
    > > I've pulled all of the cards (aside from the graphics, and I've
    > > cleaned and reseated it), pulled the second CPU, tried swapping the
    > > CPU's, reseated all of the memory, everything I can think of, and
    > > this is still the condition is stays in. It's been a long while
    > > since I've worked with these machines, but I don't think I'm missing
    > > anything. This is all stock stuff, this machine ran well for years (I
    > > originally bought it eight years ago, and it's come full circle back
    > > to me). No third-party parts or anything, all DEC/Compaq stuff.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas?

    > Yeah. The console is probably set to serial. If you have a null modem
    > cable, you can fire up some terminal emulation on a different computer
    > and check the output on your DS20 and set the console back to graphics
    > mode via ">>> set console graphics".
    > I'm not quite sure, but it might also help to hit some keys during
    > initialization.
    >
    > > Thanks very much in advance.
    > >
    > > (Sorry, but I've cross-posted this to the osf-alpha group, did it
    > > there first prior to finding this group)

    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc

  4. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    Check to make sure it is not trying to boot

    >>>CTRL C (i do it several times)

    Also - the flashing cursor on the screen will continue until you hit enter
    on the keyboard if DS20 is set to serial console

    After about 3-4 minutes try hitting the enter key (you must have a working
    keyboard plugged into the PS/2 conn on the rear of the DS20)

    >>>set console graphics (return)

    This will set your system to power up in GRAPHICS (non-term) mode

    >>>set console serial (return)

    This will set your system to power up in Serial Mode (9600, 8, N, 1)

    David

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    wrote in message
    news:1155571356.700193.262520@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > Been there, done that. Should have mentioned that I've been through
    > that portion of things. Unless my serial cable is bad (which isn't
    > entirely out of the question, I suppose), that's not it. I think I'll
    > hunt down another serial cable and try again, though.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > > On 13 Aug 2006 09:48:05 -0700
    > > Mark.B.Morgan@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It
    > > > tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal
    > > > startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display,
    > > > but my console (graphics) shows only the blue screen, with a flashing
    > > > cursor, and nothing else. No diagnostics, nothing.
    > > >
    > > > I've pulled all of the cards (aside from the graphics, and I've
    > > > cleaned and reseated it), pulled the second CPU, tried swapping the
    > > > CPU's, reseated all of the memory, everything I can think of, and
    > > > this is still the condition is stays in. It's been a long while
    > > > since I've worked with these machines, but I don't think I'm missing
    > > > anything. This is all stock stuff, this machine ran well for years (I
    > > > originally bought it eight years ago, and it's come full circle back
    > > > to me). No third-party parts or anything, all DEC/Compaq stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone have any ideas?

    > > Yeah. The console is probably set to serial. If you have a null modem
    > > cable, you can fire up some terminal emulation on a different computer
    > > and check the output on your DS20 and set the console back to graphics
    > > mode via ">>> set console graphics".
    > > I'm not quite sure, but it might also help to hit some keys during
    > > initialization.
    > >
    > > > Thanks very much in advance.
    > > >
    > > > (Sorry, but I've cross-posted this to the osf-alpha group, did it
    > > > there first prior to finding this group)

    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Marc

  5. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    As it turns out, it was indeed set to console serial, and my serial
    cable was bad. Ordered a new serial cable (which aren't all that easy
    to find these days), and immediately had response from the serial port.

    Thanks for the help, everyone.

    I sure miss working with VMS....

    David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    > Check to make sure it is not trying to boot

    > Also - the flashing cursor on the screen will continue until you hit enter
    > on the keyboard if DS20 is set to serial console
    >
    > After about 3-4 minutes try hitting the enter key (you must have a working
    > keyboard plugged into the PS/2 conn on the rear of the DS20)

    > This will set your system to power up in GRAPHICS (non-term) mode

    > This will set your system to power up in Serial Mode (9600, 8, N, 1)
    >
    > David
    >
    > --
    >
    > David B Turner
    > Island Computers US Corp
    > 2700 Gregory St, Suite 180
    > Savannah GA 31404
    > Tel: 912 447 6622 X201
    > Cell: 912 447 6622 X251
    > Fax: 912 201 0402
    > Email: dbturner@islandco.com
    > Web: http://www.islandco.com
    > =====================================
    > All orders are subject to the following terms and conditions
    > of sale. These should be read before ordering.
    > http://www.islandco.com/warranty.html
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:1155571356.700193.262520@m79g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Been there, done that. Should have mentioned that I've been through
    > > that portion of things. Unless my serial cable is bad (which isn't
    > > entirely out of the question, I suppose), that's not it. I think I'll
    > > hunt down another serial cable and try again, though.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > > Marc Schlensog wrote:

    > > > Yeah. The console is probably set to serial. If you have a null modem
    > > > cable, you can fire up some terminal emulation on a different computer
    > > > and check the output on your DS20 and set the console back to graphics
    > > > mode via ">>> set console graphics".
    > > > I'm not quite sure, but it might also help to hit some keys during
    > > > initialization.

    > > > HTH,
    > > >
    > > > Marc

  6. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:23:07 -0400
    "David Turner, Island Computers US Corp" wrote:

    > Check to make sure it is not trying to boot

    > Also - the flashing cursor on the screen will continue until you hit
    > enter on the keyboard if DS20 is set to serial console
    >
    > After about 3-4 minutes try hitting the enter key (you must have a
    > working keyboard plugged into the PS/2 conn on the rear of the DS20)

    > This will set your system to power up in GRAPHICS (non-term) mode

    > This will set your system to power up in Serial Mode (9600, 8, N, 1)
    >
    > David

    Hola Dave,

    any news on those "broken" DS20E power supplies? I was hoping for some
    mail from you.

    b.r.,

    Marc

  7. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    Have a similar problem (similar symptoms, anyway)
    with a DS10 I just received. The machine has no
    graphics card. Plugged a db9-to-mmj adapter into
    COM1, and a VT420 set at 9600 8N1 into the mmj end.
    Powered everything up, but no display at all.
    The box lights up green power light, blinks amber
    environment light a few times (which then remains
    dark), spins up hard disk after maybe a minute,
    and checks floppy drive maybe 30 seconds later.
    And that's pretty much it.
    The VT420, mmj cable, and mmj-to-db9 adapter
    are okay, since they work on a pc running linux
    (with s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
    in its /etc/inittab file). And I tried everything
    mentioned below -- reseated cables and cards (box
    only has a scsi card), pressed Ctrl-C, etc.
    Can't tell if the console is set graphics or
    serial. But how would I change it to serial
    if it's set graphics? And what else could I try?
    Thanks a lot for any suggestions
    (and sorry for top posting),
    --
    John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

    :
    : David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    : > Check to make sure it is not trying to boot
    : > >>>CTRL C (i do it several times)
    : > Also - the flashing cursor on the screen will continue until you hit enter
    : > on the keyboard if DS20 is set to serial console
    : >
    : > After about 3-4 minutes try hitting the enter key (you must have a working
    : > keyboard plugged into the PS/2 conn on the rear of the DS20)
    : > >>>set console graphics (return)
    : > This will set your system to power up in GRAPHICS (non-term) mode
    : > >>>set console serial (return)
    : > This will set your system to power up in Serial Mode (9600, 8, N, 1)
    : > David
    : > --
    : > =====================================
    : > wrote:
    : > > Been there, done that. Should have mentioned that I've been through
    : > > that portion of things. Unless my serial cable is bad (which isn't
    : > > entirely out of the question, I suppose), that's not it. I think I'll
    : > > hunt down another serial cable and try again, though.
    : > > Thanks!
    : > >
    : > > Marc Schlensog wrote:
    : > > > Mark.B.Morgan@gmail.com wrote:
    : > > > > I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It
    : > > > > tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal
    : > > > > startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display,
    : > > > > but my console (graphics) shows only the blue screen, with a flashing
    : > > > > cursor, and nothing else. No diagnostics, nothing.
    : > > > >
    : > > > > I've pulled all of the cards (aside from the graphics, and I've
    : > > > > cleaned and reseated it), pulled the second CPU, tried swapping the
    : > > > > CPU's, reseated all of the memory, everything I can think of, and
    : > > > > this is still the condition is stays in. It's been a long while
    : > > > > since I've worked with these machines, but I don't think I'm missing
    : > > > > anything. This is all stock stuff, this machine ran well for years (I
    : > > > > originally bought it eight years ago, and it's come full circle back
    : > > > > to me). No third-party parts or anything, all DEC/Compaq stuff.
    : > > >
    : > > > The console is probably set to serial. If you have a null modem
    : > > > cable, you can fire up some terminal emulation on a different computer
    : > > > and check the output on your DS20 and set the console back to graphics
    : > > > mode via ">>> set console graphics".
    : > > > I'm not quite sure, but it might also help to hit some keys during
    : > > > initialization.

  8. Re: DS20 never gives firmware prompt

    John Forkosh wrote:
[...]

    Works fine now, after swapping in a graphics card
    from an old alphastation 200. DS10 was in graphics
    mode all along, despite not having a graphics card
    to begin with. I'd attempted to handle that by
    following suggestion below -- plugged a keyboard
    into the ps2 connector and typed set console serial
    after giving machine time to settle down. That
    didn't work, but I couldn't see why since machine
    was headless.
    Turns out auto_action=BOOT was set, and machine
    was trying to boot FreeBSD/alpha. That hit a kernel
    "panic: not configured to use display && keyboard console".
    I could (and should) have pressed Halt, which would have
    brought me back to the SRM console, but that just didn't
    occur to me.
    --
    John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

    : Mark.B.Morgan@gmail.com wrote:
    : : As it turns out, it was indeed set to console serial, and my serial
    : : cable was bad. Ordered a new serial cable (which aren't all that easy
    : : to find these days), and immediately had response from the serial port.
    : : Thanks for the help, everyone.
    : : I sure miss working with VMS....
    : :
    : : David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    : : > Check to make sure it is not trying to boot
    : : > >>>CTRL C (i do it several times)
    : : > Also - the flashing cursor on the screen will continue until you hit enter
    : : > on the keyboard if DS20 is set to serial console
    : : >
    : : > After about 3-4 minutes try hitting the enter key (you must have a working
    : : > keyboard plugged into the PS/2 conn on the rear of the DS20)
    : : > >>>set console graphics (return)
    : : > This will set your system to power up in GRAPHICS (non-term) mode
    : : > >>>set console serial (return)
    : : > This will set your system to power up in Serial Mode (9600, 8, N, 1)
    : : > David
    : : > --
    : : > =====================================
    : : > wrote:
    : : > > Been there, done that. Should have mentioned that I've been through
    : : > > that portion of things. Unless my serial cable is bad (which isn't
    : : > > entirely out of the question, I suppose), that's not it. I think I'll
    : : > > hunt down another serial cable and try again, though.
    : : > > Thanks!
    : : > >
    : : > > Marc Schlensog wrote:
    : : > > > Mark.B.Morgan@gmail.com wrote:
    : : > > > > I've got a DS20 that to my knowledge ran before being uninstalled. It
    : : > > > > tries to boot, the LCD display looks normal, goes through the normal
    : : > > > > startup cyle, no beeps, gets the the usual "AlphaServer DS20" display,
    : : > > > > but my console (graphics) shows only the blue screen, with a flashing
    : : > > > > cursor, and nothing else. No diagnostics, nothing.
    : : > > > >
    : : > > > > I've pulled all of the cards (aside from the graphics, and I've
    : : > > > > cleaned and reseated it), pulled the second CPU, tried swapping the
    : : > > > > CPU's, reseated all of the memory, everything I can think of, and
    : : > > > > this is still the condition is stays in. It's been a long while
    : : > > > > since I've worked with these machines, but I don't think I'm missing
    : : > > > > anything. This is all stock stuff, this machine ran well for years (I
    : : > > > > originally bought it eight years ago, and it's come full circle back
    : : > > > > to me). No third-party parts or anything, all DEC/Compaq stuff.
    : : > > >
    : : > > > The console is probably set to serial. If you have a null modem
    : : > > > cable, you can fire up some terminal emulation on a different computer
    : : > > > and check the output on your DS20 and set the console back to graphics
    : : > > > mode via ">>> set console graphics".
    : : > > > I'm not quite sure, but it might also help to hit some keys during
    : : > > > initialization.

+ Reply to Thread