DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is? - DEC

This is a discussion on DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is? - DEC ; A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could find was a couple for sale in the legacy ...

  1. DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system
    was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could
    find was a couple for sale in the legacy market but no descriptions.
    Does anybody remember what these were and if so what architecture they
    were?

    Was there a more common similar system marketed?

    Thanks,
    Derek

  2. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    dereks314@gmail.com wrote:
    > A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system
    > was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could
    > find was a couple for sale in the legacy market but no descriptions.
    > Does anybody remember what these were and if so what architecture they
    > were?
    >
    > Was there a more common similar system marketed?

    "H9" is DEC's prefix for a very wide range of racks, cabinets, covers,
    etc.

    I am not familiar with anything specifically associated with the H9CAC
    though. "H9CAC", if I pronounce it, sounds very similar to "H960" which
    is a very well known model of standard 6 foot rack.

    I would suggest that more relevant than the model number of the rack or
    cabinet is what is inside it.

    Tim.

  3. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    On 8/5/06 2:30 PM, in article
    1154813435.563013.40850@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om, "Tim Shoppa"
    wrote:

    > dereks314@gmail.com wrote:
    >> A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system
    >> was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could
    >> find was a couple for sale in the legacy market but no descriptions.
    >> Does anybody remember what these were and if so what architecture they
    >> were?
    >>
    >> Was there a more common similar system marketed?

    > "H9" is DEC's prefix for a very wide range of racks, cabinets, covers,
    > etc.
    >
    > I am not familiar with anything specifically associated with the H9CAC
    > though. "H9CAC", if I pronounce it, sounds very similar to "H960" which
    > is a very well known model of standard 6 foot rack.
    >
    > I would suggest that more relevant than the model number of the rack or
    > cabinet is what is inside it.
    >
    > Tim.

    It appears to be a 42" cab for holding 6 RA9x drives.

  4. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    dereks314@gmail.com wrote:
    > A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system
    > was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could
    > find was a couple for sale in the legacy market but no descriptions.
    > Does anybody remember what these were and if so what architecture they
    > were?

    The H9CAC-AA series rack is intended for mounting RA90 and RA92-class
    DSA SDI disks, circa fifteen years back or so.

    It's roughly comparable (a cousin) to the H9644 series 19 inch rack.

    It's not a PDP-11. Not even close.

    Now as for what might have been field-mounted in said rack over the
    past fifteen years or so, that's another discussion.

  5. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    Thanks to everyone. I forwarded on the information that he had given me
    the model number for the rack and not the actual unit. He seems to feel
    there is something in there but I don't think he realizes how large
    some of the disk units from DEC could be.

    He bought a bunch of these from a scrapper not knowing really what they
    are but thinking that they were PDP11 because that was the equipment
    like this he was familair with.

    I have a feeling that these units might have been put together by a 3rd
    party for a specific application and if there was a model number on the
    system unit it probably is wrong.

    Derek

    dereks314@gmail.com wrote:
    > A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system
    > was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could
    > find was a couple for sale in the legacy market but no descriptions.
    > Does anybody remember what these were and if so what architecture they
    > were?
    >
    > Was there a more common similar system marketed?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Derek

  6. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    On 7 Aug 2006 10:10:31 -0700 in alt.folklore.computers,
    dereks314@gmail.com wrote:

    >dereks314@gmail.com wrote:
    >> A friend of mine called me up asked me if I knew what a H9CAC-AA system
    >> was. He thinks it might be a PDP-11. After a quick Google, all I could
    >> find was a couple for sale in the legacy market but no descriptions.
    >> Does anybody remember what these were and if so what architecture they
    >> were?

    >Thanks to everyone. I forwarded on the information that he had given me
    >the model number for the rack and not the actual unit. He seems to feel
    >there is something in there but I don't think he realizes how large
    >some of the disk units from DEC could be.

    Why doesn't he just open the doors and describe the contents, or read
    off the model numbers if visible?

    >He bought a bunch of these from a scrapper not knowing really what they
    >are but thinking that they were PDP11 because that was the equipment
    >like this he was familair with.

    Difficult to tell DEC racks apart, unless you have a system bought
    straight from DEC, which tends to have standard rack door colours.

    >I have a feeling that these units might have been put together by a 3rd
    >party for a specific application and if there was a model number on the
    >system unit it probably is wrong.

    A lot of DEC stuff was supplied by OEMs, and DEC and OEM equipment was
    packaged by VARs for custom systems.

    Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply

  7. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    > Why doesn't he just open the doors and describe the contents, or read
    > off the model numbers if visible?

    He is going to when he gets out to his storage unit but it is more
    likely he isn't going to get to it until next time I drive out. So far
    all he has been able to describe is RK05.

    Derek

  8. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    An RK05

    thump thump thump

    be still my beating heart!!!

    Is it an F or a J....

    We could fight like mad to try and get a working RSTS/E system with
    applications and data files up on one of each.....

    On 2nd thought,...... I had enough of that back in 1979.....

    Boy did that used RK06 ever look nice!! even if it didn't fit in the rack!!

    Villy

    wrote in message
    news:1155137645.292360.57640@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

    >> Why doesn't he just open the doors and describe the contents, or read
    >> off the model numbers if visible?
    >>

    > He is going to when he gets out to his storage unit but it is more
    > likely he isn't going to get to it until next time I drive out. So far
    > all he has been able to describe is RK05.
    >
    > Derek

  9. Re: DEC / Digital H9CAC-AA, Anybody know what this is?

    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:48:45 GMT in vmsnet.pdp-11, "Villy Madsen"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:1155137645.292360.57640@m79g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

    >>> Why doesn't he just open the doors and describe the contents, or read
    >>> off the model numbers if visible?

    >> He is going to when he gets out to his storage unit but it is more
    >> likely he isn't going to get to it until next time I drive out. So far
    >> all he has been able to describe is RK05.

    >An RK05
    >thump thump thump
    >be still my beating heart!!!
    >Is it an F or a J....
    >We could fight like mad to try and get a working RSTS/E system with
    >applications and data files up on one of each.....
    >On 2nd thought,...... I had enough of that back in 1979.....
    >Boy did that used RK06 ever look nice!! even if it didn't fit in the rack!!

    Lovely moving from quad RK05s on an 11/40 to a pair of RM03s and a
    tape drive on an 11/70.

    Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
    fake address use address above to reply

+ Reply to Thread