USB numeric keypad anyone? - DEC

This is a discussion on USB numeric keypad anyone? - DEC ; My IBM T41 laptop has a nasty feature: to get the numeric keypad you have to hit shift-numlock and to get out you have to hit both again. Compare this to my Dell which simply required holding a function key. ...

  1. USB numeric keypad anyone?

    My IBM T41 laptop has a nasty feature: to get the numeric keypad you
    have to hit shift-numlock and to get out you have to hit both again.
    Compare this to my Dell which simply required holding a function key.

    When working with VMS this is a royal pain. I've seen USB keypads
    now in stores, featuring the full set of PC style numeric keys and
    am wondering if it's worth the investment.

    Has anyone tried one of these keypads with any of the VT terminal
    emulators for PCs? Any feedback?

    Unfortunately I haven't seen one with a full LK style keypad layout,
    the last time I saw one of those it was on an ADB cable for a Mac.

  2. Re: USB numeric keypad anyone?

    Bob Koehler wrote:

    > My IBM T41 laptop has a nasty feature: to get the numeric keypad you
    > have to hit shift-numlock and to get out you have to hit both again.
    > Compare this to my Dell which simply required holding a function key.
    >
    > When working with VMS this is a royal pain. I've seen USB keypads
    > now in stores, featuring the full set of PC style numeric keys and
    > am wondering if it's worth the investment.
    >
    > Has anyone tried one of these keypads with any of the VT terminal
    > emulators for PCs? Any feedback?
    >
    > Unfortunately I haven't seen one with a full LK style keypad layout,
    > the last time I saw one of those it was on an ADB cable for a Mac.

    A standard USB keypad should look just like tbe built in keypad you
    get
    at by using ****+numlock. The keypad will generate standard HID reports
    for
    the keys on it. So that will work just fine.

    Getting an LK463 to work correctly and get all the keys is more
    problematic. The keyboard generates documented key codes for all the
    keys on it. But for reasons best known to Windows it does not return
    the codes it does not recognize to applications. We ran into the same
    issues when we tried it on a Apple MAC.

    Forrest

+ Reply to Thread