DEC AlphaStation and NT - DEC

This is a discussion on DEC AlphaStation and NT - DEC ; Hi, I recently acquired an old AlphaStation 500, along with a Windows NT 3.5 CD for Alpha. However, the boot floppies (if they ever existed) are missing. Is there a way to create these boot floppies from files on the ...

  1. DEC AlphaStation and NT

    Hi,

    I recently acquired an old AlphaStation 500, along with a Windows NT
    3.5 CD for Alpha. However, the boot floppies (if they ever existed) are
    missing.

    Is there a way to create these boot floppies from files on the CD-ROM?
    Or can the AlphaStation boot directly from CD? And how do I then
    install NT on the machine?

    Thanks,
    --Michael

  2. Re: DEC AlphaStation and NT

    If your system is based on the ARC console, form a long time ago, you need
    to run arcinst.exe to set up disk and also the firmware.

    You may need to find a HAL to load from a floppy, if the list of systems
    displayed as supported does not include yours.

    Have fun.

    I reccomend putting the 4MB boot partition at the end of the disk, that way
    when you install software to the default drive C it always lands on th ebig
    partiiton.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873/

    http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2...tia_alpha.html

  3. Re: DEC AlphaStation and NT

    Michael wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently acquired an old AlphaStation 500, along with a Windows NT
    > 3.5 CD for Alpha. However, the boot floppies (if they ever existed) are
    > missing.
    >
    > Is there a way to create these boot floppies from files on the CD-ROM?
    > Or can the AlphaStation boot directly from CD? And how do I then
    > install NT on the machine?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --Michael

    Michael:

    Your "Old" Alphastation 500 is actually now worth more than you think.
    Sell it on eBay and buy a newer system like a DS10L or such.
    In the end you'll have a much better system which is still Windoze
    compliant (god forbid) without nearly as much trouble.
    Why would you want to hobble such a nice computer with such crap
    software is beyond me. Sure I've got lots of PeeCee's running Windoze,
    but all my Alpha's run OpenVMS, NetBSD, or Linux. ;-)
    Just my humble opinion, your experience may vary.

    TomC

+ Reply to Thread