console message involving RUN/STOP switch - DEC

This is a discussion on console message involving RUN/STOP switch - DEC ; I'm testing out some old hardware, an ALPHAserver 2100. It powers up fine, the console sees all the devices etc. I wanted to boot it off of a CD, but I get the message dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or ...

  1. console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    I'm testing out some old hardware, an ALPHAserver 2100. It powers up
    fine, the console sees all the devices etc.

    I wanted to boot it off of a CD, but I get the message

    dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    failed to open dka600.6.0.1

    I tried a 7.3-2 CD and a 7.3-1 CD. Both are copies, but I have
    successfully booted off of them in other machines in the past. The CD
    drive in the 2100 is an RRD43. I have an original 7.1 CD but I can't
    find it at the moment.

    If all else fails, I'll try to boot it off of a system disk from another
    machine. (However, since this is configured for a cluster etc, I can't
    expect to boot straight off of it; I'll probably have to do a
    conversational boot.)

    Right now, I just want to see the machine come up with VMS to verify
    that everything is working OK.

    Could it be that I get the error message since I tried copies and not
    original CDs? (I HAVE booted off of these on other ALPHAs in the past,
    with IIRC also an RRD43.)

    What is the RUN/STOP switch? Is it some physical switch on the machine,
    or some console command I have to enter?

  2. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de
    (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    Another 2100 question: There are 8 SBB slots for disk drives. At the
    console, I see devices DRA0, DRA1,...DRA7. Do these correspond to the
    disk slots? If so, what kind of disk can I put in (hopefully something
    like an RZ28.) If not, what are the DR devices?

  3. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    > I'm testing out some old hardware, an ALPHAserver 2100. It powers up
    > fine, the console sees all the devices etc.
    >
    > I wanted to boot it off of a CD, but I get the message
    >
    > dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    > failed to open dka600.6.0.1

    There are 3 buttons on the 2100-panel; power, halt and reset.
    If the halt button is pressed you need to press it once more
    to get the box booted.

    > What is the RUN/STOP switch? Is it some physical switch on the machine,
    > or some console command I have to enter?

    Yes, it's a physical button.
    If I remember correct it is a circle with a triangle upside down
    inside.

    Regards,
    Kjell Andresen Systems administrator, University of Oslo, Norway
    Center for Information Technology Services and
    Department of Geosciences
    email: drift@geofysikk.uio.no

  4. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Kjell Andresen wrote:

    >> dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    >> failed to open dka600.6.0.1

    > Yes, it's a physical button.
    > If I remember correct it is a circle with a triangle upside down
    > inside.

    I think he's confusing halt with the run/stop which can be cabled into
    most SCSI disks (and typically are not).
    My guess is that your copies of media are written on media that the
    ancient drive on the 2100 can't recognize. I've run into that on various
    systems where CDRW writes just differently enough on the media that
    ancient relics can't quite read it.
    Best bet is to cable in a newer 512 byte sector scsi CD drive and see if
    it works.

    On an unrelated note DRA drives are hooked to an onboard RAID controller.

  5. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    In article , Kjell Andresen
    writes:

    > There are 3 buttons on the 2100-panel; power, halt and reset.
    > If the halt button is pressed you need to press it once more
    > to get the box booted.

    No, that's not the problem (see my other response in this thread).

    > > What is the RUN/STOP switch? Is it some physical switch on the machine,
    > > or some console command I have to enter?

    > Yes, it's a physical button.

    On the 2100? Or on the CD?

    > If I remember correct it is a circle with a triangle upside down
    > inside.

    That's the label on the "halt" button (it is the one in the middle; to
    the left is power and to the right is reset).

  6. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    In article , "P.
    Thompson" writes:

    > My guess is that your copies of media are written on media that the
    > ancient drive on the 2100 can't recognize.

    Yes, that seems to be the case.

    > Best bet is to cable in a newer 512 byte sector scsi CD drive and see if
    > it works.

    I get a bit further there (see my other response in this thread).

    > On an unrelated note DRA drives are hooked to an onboard RAID controller.

    That's what I suspected. So one could just stick in any SBB SCSI disk
    of appropriate vintage (say an RZ28)?

  7. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    reply) writes:

    > I'm testing out some old hardware, an ALPHAserver 2100. It powers up
    > fine, the console sees all the devices etc.
    >
    > I wanted to boot it off of a CD, but I get the message
    >
    > dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    > failed to open dka600.6.0.1
    >
    > dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    > failed to open dka600.6.0.1
    >
    > I tried a 7.3-2 CD and a 7.3-1 CD. Both are copies, but I have
    > successfully booted off of them in other machines in the past. The CD
    > drive in the 2100 is an RRD43. I have an original 7.1 CD but I can't
    > find it at the moment.

    I'm pretty sure now that it is due to the fact that I am using copies of
    CDs and not original CDs. (Unfortunately, I can't find my original 7.1
    CD.) In terms of data, my copies are exact copies. The problem is that
    the original CDs have small pits for the bits and the copies have
    different reflectivity. Old drives can't read copies. Some somewhat
    newer drives can read them but they won't work as a boot drive. New
    drives don't have any problems at all. (I have installed and upgraded
    VMS many times from copies of CDs.)

    I have an expansion box with 5 TOSHIBA CD drives in it. Since the 2100
    has two tape drives and a CD drive, that is one device too many. I set
    the IDs of the CDs in my box such that there is only one SCSI-ID
    conflict. When I do this, and put the CD in one of the drives in my box
    (connected to the SCSI connector near the top of the 2100, not the one
    on the card in the expansion slot---I don't see anything at the console
    if I connect to it), the machine starts to boot, but stops after the
    message

    jumping to bootstrap code

    Like I said, there are two devices with the same SCSI ID on the bus and
    also the cable is quite long. Either or both of these could be
    contributing to the problem (perhaps along with the fact that the drive
    is perhaps not completely able to read the copy CD, though I'm sure that
    it can handle it if it is not being used to boot).

    Unfortunately, trying a shorter cable would mean getting the heavy box
    down off of a high shelf and removing one of the devices on the bus
    would mean opening up the expansion box or the 2100 itself. I don't
    have time to test this now.

    Any serious hardware errors would have showed up at the console or on
    the alphanumeric display on the machine itself. The fact that it got
    this far indicates to me that there is no real problem with it.

  8. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    >reply) writes:
    >
    >> I'm testing out some old hardware, an ALPHAserver 2100. It powers up
    >> fine, the console sees all the devices etc.
    >>
    >> I wanted to boot it off of a CD, but I get the message
    >>
    >> dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    >> failed to open dka600.6.0.1
    >>
    >> dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    >> failed to open dka600.6.0.1
    >>
    >> I tried a 7.3-2 CD and a 7.3-1 CD. Both are copies, but I have
    >> successfully booted off of them in other machines in the past. The CD
    >> drive in the 2100 is an RRD43. I have an original 7.1 CD but I can't
    >> find it at the moment.

    >I'm pretty sure now that it is due to the fact that I am using copies of
    >CDs and not original CDs. (Unfortunately, I can't find my original 7.1
    >CD.) In terms of data, my copies are exact copies. The problem is that
    >the original CDs have small pits for the bits and the copies have
    >different reflectivity. Old drives can't read copies. Some somewhat
    >newer drives can read them but they won't work as a boot drive. New
    >drives don't have any problems at all. (I have installed and upgraded
    >VMS many times from copies of CDs.)
    >
    >I have an expansion box with 5 TOSHIBA CD drives in it. Since the 2100
    >has two tape drives and a CD drive, that is one device too many. I set
    >the IDs of the CDs in my box such that there is only one SCSI-ID
    >conflict. When I do this, and put the CD in one of the drives in my box
    >(connected to the SCSI connector near the top of the 2100, not the one
    >on the card in the expansion slot---I don't see anything at the console
    >if I connect to it), the machine starts to boot, but stops after the
    >message
    >
    > jumping to bootstrap code
    >
    >Like I said, there are two devices with the same SCSI ID on the bus and
    >also the cable is quite long. Either or both of these could be
    >contributing to the problem (perhaps along with the fact that the drive
    >is perhaps not completely able to read the copy CD, though I'm sure that
    >it can handle it if it is not being used to boot).
    >
    >Unfortunately, trying a shorter cable would mean getting the heavy box
    >down off of a high shelf and removing one of the devices on the bus
    >would mean opening up the expansion box or the 2100 itself. I don't
    >have time to test this now.

    I'd suspect that is what is causing the RUN/STOP problem with the CD Drive.
    I had this happen on my PWS 600au home system just recently but this was with
    real VMS OS CDs not copies. Hence I thought the CD drive had just given up the
    ghost and wasn't able to read the media.
    I purchased a replacement drive from Island however at the same time I
    purchased a new dual port SCSI card since I was using both internal and
    external drives on the inbuilt scsi card (which according to something I'd read
    you shouldn't be able to do - though it had been working fine (including the
    CD drive until recently). Also I wanted to add in a few more drives).

    When I installed the new scsi card so that the internal drives were on one scsi
    connection and the external on another then the original CD drive started
    working again.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >Any serious hardware errors would have showed up at the console or on
    >the alphanumeric display on the machine itself. The fact that it got
    >this far indicates to me that there is no real problem with it.

  9. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    In message
    david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:

> [...]

    >>is perhaps not completely able to read the copy CD, though I'm sure that
    >>it can handle it if it is not being used to boot).
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, trying a shorter cable would mean getting the heavy box
    >>down off of a high shelf and removing one of the devices on the bus
    >>would mean opening up the expansion box or the 2100 itself. I don't
    >>have time to test this now.
    >>

    > I'd suspect that is what is causing the RUN/STOP problem with the CD Drive.
    > I had this happen on my PWS 600au home system just recently but this was with
    > real VMS OS CDs not copies. Hence I thought the CD drive had just given up the
    > ghost and wasn't able to read the media.
    > I purchased a replacement drive from Island however at the same time I
    > purchased a new dual port SCSI card since I was using both internal and
    > external drives on the inbuilt scsi card (which according to something

    That riungs a distant bell. I think the controller is terminated. That
    means it must be at the end of the cable, and if you use both internal
    and external cables, it is in the middle. You then end up with three
    terminators, and poor signal quality. The result can be apparently
    random, and things work if both cables are kept very short.

    I could be wrong, but the distant memory is of some similar effect on
    a 3100 Vax - about 10 years ago.

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk

  10. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    > >I have an expansion box with 5 TOSHIBA CD drives in it. Since the 2100
    > >has two tape drives and a CD drive, that is one device too many. I set
    > >the IDs of the CDs in my box such that there is only one SCSI-ID
    > >conflict. When I do this, and put the CD in one of the drives in my box
    > >(connected to the SCSI connector near the top of the 2100, not the one
    > >on the card in the expansion slot---I don't see anything at the console
    > >if I connect to it), the machine starts to boot, but stops after the
    > >message
    > >
    > > jumping to bootstrap code

    The explanation was much simpler: I had the wrong serial port. I had
    been able to access the console via the other serial port, so I thought
    that I had the console port, but not really.

    I've seen something similar when the console is set to graphics and one
    is working on the serial terminal or vice versa: basic console commands
    work, but no more after booting. If both are connected and switched on,
    then it is obvious what is going on, since during boot the stuff starts
    showing up on the other screen. Apparently, a similar arrangement holds
    for the two serial connectors. On VAX, though, I think that only one
    serial connector works as the console, even before one boots into VMS.

    In other words, either one works for the ALPHA console, but only one of
    them (labelled "1" and located below the one labelled "2") is the VMS
    console.

    It then booted up OK. However, when connected to the "wrong" serial
    port, I was surprised that even after having time enough to boot, one
    couldn't log in here. (At least some ALPHAs can boot with no console
    switched on at all, and one can then log into them from elsewhere after
    they have booted.)

    I had set the console to serial, of course.

    Is there any way, when at the console prompt before booting, to find out
    if this is the correct serial port for the "VMS console" (i.e. where
    startup messages are written out etc)? Or does one just have to know?
    Is there any convention (e.g. the one labelled "1")? (On VAX, it's the
    one with the picture of a printer.)

  11. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    Alan Adams wrote:
    > In message
    > david20@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk wrote:
    >

    >>In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de
    >>(Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >>
    >>>helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to

    >>>I'm pretty sure now that it is due to the fact that I am using copies of
    >>>CDs and not original CDs. (Unfortunately, I can't find my original 7.1
    >>>CD.) In terms of data, my copies are exact copies. The problem is that
    >>>the original CDs have small pits for the bits and the copies have
    >>>different reflectivity. Old drives can't read copies. Some somewhat
    >>>newer drives can read them but they won't work as a boot drive. New
    >>>drives don't have any problems at all. (I have installed and upgraded
    >>>VMS many times from copies of CDs.)
    >>>
    >>>I have an expansion box with 5 TOSHIBA CD drives in it. Since the 2100
    >>>has two tape drives and a CD drive, that is one device too many. I set
    >>>the IDs of the CDs in my box such that there is only one SCSI-ID
    >>>conflict. When I do this, and put the CD in one of the drives in my box
    >>>(connected to the SCSI connector near the top of the 2100, not the one
    >>>on the card in the expansion slot---I don't see anything at the console
    >>>if I connect to it), the machine starts to boot, but stops after the
    >>>message
    >>>
    >>> jumping to bootstrap code
    >>>
    >>>Like I said, there are two devices with the same SCSI ID on the bus and
    >>>also the cable is quite long. Either or both of these could be
    >>>contributing to the problem (perhaps along with the fact that the drive
    >>>is perhaps not completely able to read the copy CD, though I'm sure that
    >>>it can handle it if it is not being used to boot).
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunately, trying a shorter cable would mean getting the heavy box
    >>>down off of a high shelf and removing one of the devices on the bus
    >>>would mean opening up the expansion box or the 2100 itself. I don't
    >>>have time to test this now.
    >>>

    >>I'd suspect that is what is causing the RUN/STOP problem with the CD Drive.
    >>I had this happen on my PWS 600au home system just recently but this was with
    >>real VMS OS CDs not copies. Hence I thought the CD drive had just given up the
    >>ghost and wasn't able to read the media.
    >>I purchased a replacement drive from Island however at the same time I
    >>purchased a new dual port SCSI card since I was using both internal and
    >>external drives on the inbuilt scsi card (which according to something
    >>I'd read

    > That riungs a distant bell. I think the controller is terminated. That
    > means it must be at the end of the cable, and if you use both internal
    > and external cables, it is in the middle. You then end up with three
    > terminators, and poor signal quality. The result can be apparently
    > random, and things work if both cables are kept very short.

    Similar experience with an 8mm tape drive. Daisy-chained it to an
    external shelf with a bunch of RZ29's. Forgot to remove the terminator
    in the shelf, so the bus was triple-terminated. It worked fine for
    about a year until someone who will remain nameless (not me!!!)
    attempted to jam a tape into the drive upside-down. DEC/Compaq/HP
    (forget who at the time) replaced the 8mm drive, but the replacement
    was very flaky. We went through about 4 new drives before I discovered
    the triple-termination (I suspected something was loose.) Pulled out
    the extra terminator and it's worked fine ever since. (Actually, we've
    been through another couple of drives, but that was mechanical. 8mm's
    are cheap, and you get what you pay for :-)

    > I could be wrong, but the distant memory is of some similar effect on
    > a 3100 Vax - about 10 years ago.

    This was on an Alphaserver 1200, FWIW.

    >>you shouldn't be able to do - though it had been working fine (including the
    >>CD drive until recently). Also I wanted to add in a few more drives).
    >>
    >>When I installed the new scsi card so that the internal drives were on
    >>one scsi
    >>connection and the external on another then the original CD drive started
    >>working again.
    >>

    >>David Webb
    >>Security team leader
    >>CCSS
    >>Middlesex University
    >>

    >>>Any serious hardware errors would have showed up at the console or on
    >>>the alphanumeric display on the machine itself. The fact that it got
    >>>this far indicates to me that there is no real problem with it.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  12. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e79j1v$tqe$1@online.de...
    > I'm testing out some old hardware, an ALPHAserver 2100. It powers up
    > fine, the console sees all the devices etc.
    >
    > I wanted to boot it off of a CD, but I get the message
    >
    > dka600.6.0.1 has no media present or is disabled via the RUN/STOP switch
    > failed to open dka600.6.0.1

    Hi there,

    I get the same error message on my DS10, when there's *NO* CD in the drive
    during the init phase of the system (power on). The drive works normal
    but I don't know why this message comes up.
    When I leave a CD in the drive, no error message is on the SRM screen.
    The drive is the standard IDE CD-ROM drive from Compaq.

    cheers
    Reinhard

  13. Re: console message involving RUN/STOP switch

    > In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de
    > (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:
    >
    > Another 2100 question: There are 8 SBB slots for disk drives. At the
    > console, I see devices DRA0, DRA1,...DRA7. Do these correspond to the
    > disk slots? If so, what kind of disk can I put in (hopefully something
    > like an RZ28.) If not, what are the DR devices?

    Based on what you've mentioned you have a single embedded drive shelf in
    your 2100. At your console you've got DR drives from 0 thru 7. DR
    drives are USUALLY attached to a bus-based RAID controller, probably one
    of the SWXCR family, either PCI or EISA/ISA. If you have no drives in
    the embedded shelf then the RAID controller is still presenting it's old
    configuration and you'll need to correct that or match it. Correcting
    is usually easier. SHOW CONFIG from SRM should display the controller
    type and location.

    Most of the 2100s I've seen and used are capable of holding two embedded
    device shelves. You'll need to connect them internally to either a SCSI
    adapter or RAID controller. They can be setup for a variety of
    different configurations. The shelves can support most of the SBB
    drives like RZ28, RZ29, mostly dependant on what the SCSI or RAID
    controller you're using can support.

    As far as the error message you got about the "run/stop switch." This
    error refers to using older DEC disks that had a real push button that
    started and stopped the drives. Some had path selection switches, too.
    But it does appear that you solved that problem, so enough of the
    history lesson. Unless you had a CIPCA, KFESA or KFPSA it would have
    been VERY unlikely that you could have used SDI or DSSI disks on your
    2100 and certainly you shouldn't have had many configurations where a
    drive capable of reading a CD on a 2100 should have had a run/stop
    button. At least I don't think that you could connect a RRD50 to
    anything that a 2100 would interface.

    bob

+ Reply to Thread