Difference between DS20(e) and DP264 - DEC

This is a discussion on Difference between DS20(e) and DP264 - DEC ; Hi folks, I was wondering, if there was any physical or firmware-wise difference between DP264 main- and CPU-boards and the ones used in the DS20(e). E.g. would it be possible to salvage a DS20(e) with broken power supplies and throw ...

  1. Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    Hi folks,

    I was wondering, if there was any physical or firmware-wise difference
    between DP264 main- and CPU-boards and the ones used in the DS20(e).
    E.g. would it be possible to salvage a DS20(e) with broken power
    supplies and throw the mainboard into an eATX case with a standard ATX
    power supply (with enough oomph to keep the Alpha happy)?

    TIA,

    Marc

  2. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I was wondering, if there was any physical or firmware-wise difference
    > between DP264 main- and CPU-boards and the ones used in the DS20(e).
    > E.g. would it be possible to salvage a DS20(e) with broken power
    > supplies and throw the mainboard into an eATX case with a standard ATX
    > power supply (with enough oomph to keep the Alpha happy)?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Marc

    This doesn't really answer your question, but I've got a couple of
    Microway "Number Smasher 264DP" systems I picked up on Ebay last year.
    (http://www.microway.com/alpha/mwns264dp.html) They are based on the
    AlphaPC 264DP mainboard/daughterboard set with dual 667MHz Alpha EV67
    CPU's. I'm running VMS 8.2 on them and while a "$ Show CPU /Full"
    identifies them as AlphaPC 264DP systems the Alpha Firmware CD uses the
    same firmware as the DS20E to upgrade (I'm currently running firmware
    V7.1 on them).

    I would think that the tricky part about relocating your DS20E
    mainboard in some sort of ATX chassis would be the front panel
    interface. I'm not sure what the DS20E mainboard would expect as
    connections. The AlphaPC mainboard can apparently take a pretty
    "dumbed-down" front panel. My Microways have just the basic power and
    reset switch and some fan failure indicator lights - No OCP panel or
    anything fancy.

    Specs are still available on the Microway site at
    http://www.microway.com/downloads/DP/

    John H. Reinhardt

  3. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    On 15 Jun 2006 19:52:52 -0700
    "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" wrote:

    >[...]
    > This doesn't really answer your question, but I've got a couple of
    > Microway "Number Smasher 264DP" systems I picked up on Ebay last year.
    > (http://www.microway.com/alpha/mwns264dp.html) They are based on the
    > AlphaPC 264DP mainboard/daughterboard set with dual 667MHz Alpha EV67
    > CPU's. I'm running VMS 8.2 on them and while a "$ Show CPU /Full"
    > identifies them as AlphaPC 264DP systems the Alpha Firmware CD uses
    > the same firmware as the DS20E to upgrade (I'm currently running
    > firmware V7.1 on them).
    >
    > I would think that the tricky part about relocating your DS20E
    > mainboard in some sort of ATX chassis would be the front panel
    > interface. I'm not sure what the DS20E mainboard would expect as
    > connections. The AlphaPC mainboard can apparently take a pretty
    > "dumbed-down" front panel. My Microways have just the basic power and
    > reset switch and some fan failure indicator lights - No OCP panel or
    > anything fancy.
    >
    > Specs are still available on the Microway site at
    > http://www.microway.com/downloads/DP/
    >
    > John H. Reinhardt

    Hi John,

    actually you helped me quite a bit. The way it looks to me right now
    is, that the 264DP and the DS20 series are indeed quite identical (the
    DS20E doesn't have a fancy operating panel as well), so chances might
    be good, that relocating the board might really work. So my only
    concern right now is the power supply, as the DS20E-firmware shuts the
    system off, when only one PS is present.
    I might have the defective PS checked today or next week, but since
    it's uncertain, if it can be fixed and since I don't a huge paper
    weight, going non-proprietary is still a pending option. So if anyone
    can tell me more about the power supply, I'd be really happy.

    Marc

  4. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    Marc

    I have two DS20e working p/supplies but the handles are broken off

    If you want one, you pay shipping !

    David

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    "Marc Schlensog" wrote in message
    > On 15 Jun 2006 19:52:52 -0700
    > "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >
    > >[...]
    > > This doesn't really answer your question, but I've got a couple of
    > > Microway "Number Smasher 264DP" systems I picked up on Ebay last year.
    > > (http://www.microway.com/alpha/mwns264dp.html) They are based on the
    > > AlphaPC 264DP mainboard/daughterboard set with dual 667MHz Alpha EV67
    > > CPU's. I'm running VMS 8.2 on them and while a "$ Show CPU /Full"
    > > identifies them as AlphaPC 264DP systems the Alpha Firmware CD uses
    > > the same firmware as the DS20E to upgrade (I'm currently running
    > > firmware V7.1 on them).
    > >
    > > I would think that the tricky part about relocating your DS20E
    > > mainboard in some sort of ATX chassis would be the front panel
    > > interface. I'm not sure what the DS20E mainboard would expect as
    > > connections. The AlphaPC mainboard can apparently take a pretty
    > > "dumbed-down" front panel. My Microways have just the basic power and
    > > reset switch and some fan failure indicator lights - No OCP panel or
    > > anything fancy.
    > >
    > > Specs are still available on the Microway site at
    > > http://www.microway.com/downloads/DP/
    > >
    > > John H. Reinhardt

    > Hi John,
    >
    > actually you helped me quite a bit. The way it looks to me right now
    > is, that the 264DP and the DS20 series are indeed quite identical (the
    > DS20E doesn't have a fancy operating panel as well), so chances might
    > be good, that relocating the board might really work. So my only
    > concern right now is the power supply, as the DS20E-firmware shuts the
    > system off, when only one PS is present.
    > I might have the defective PS checked today or next week, but since
    > it's uncertain, if it can be fixed and since I don't a huge paper
    > weight, going non-proprietary is still a pending option. So if anyone
    > can tell me more about the power supply, I'd be really happy.
    >
    > Marc

  5. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:12:45 -0400
    "David Turner, Island Computers US Corp" wrote:

    > Marc
    >
    > I have two DS20e working p/supplies but the handles are broken off
    >
    > If you want one, you pay shipping !
    >
    > David

    Just the shipping? How much would it be for both of them? Apart from
    the handles, they are functioning?

    b.r.,

    Marc

  6. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    To Germany, that is. Time is no issue.

    Marc

  7. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    I don't know how much shipping would be
    They both work - just no handles

    My guess by Fedex would be about $80-100

    By US Mail - can't do it as we don't have an "account" with them

    If you know anyone in the USA we can ship to them and you can take care of
    shipping yourself

    DT

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:12:45 -0400
    > "David Turner, Island Computers US Corp" wrote:
    >
    > > Marc
    > >
    > > I have two DS20e working p/supplies but the handles are broken off
    > >
    > > If you want one, you pay shipping !
    > >
    > > David

    > Just the shipping? How much would it be for both of them? Apart from
    > the handles, they are functioning?
    >
    > b.r.,
    >
    > Marc

  8. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    > I don't know how much shipping would be
    > They both work - just no handles
    >
    > My guess by Fedex would be about $80-100
    >
    > By US Mail - can't do it as we don't have an "account" with them
    >
    > If you know anyone in the USA we can ship to them and you can take care of
    > shipping yourself
    >
    > DT

    Hi Dave,

    is UPS an option? Feel free to drop me a mail.

    Best regards,

    Marc

  9. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    We don't ship via UPS any more
    1/10 packages were damaged when received
    Fedex is considerably better, i in 30 packages destroyed - except for a
    GS160 shipped from the UK that came in with a 15 Degree slant to it.
    Needless to say our write off that year was considerable.

    US mail book rate (i could put a book with it) would be the cheapest
    I will see what that is and get back to you

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    wrote in message
    news:1150749092.220780.258270@y41g2000cwy.googlegr oups.com...
    > David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    > > I don't know how much shipping would be
    > > They both work - just no handles
    > >
    > > My guess by Fedex would be about $80-100
    > >
    > > By US Mail - can't do it as we don't have an "account" with them
    > >
    > > If you know anyone in the USA we can ship to them and you can take care

    of
    > > shipping yourself
    > >
    > > DT

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > is UPS an option? Feel free to drop me a mail.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Marc

  10. Re: Difference between DS20(e) and DP264

    On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:16:53 -0400
    "David Turner, Island Computers US Corp" wrote:

    > We don't ship via UPS any more
    > 1/10 packages were damaged when received
    > Fedex is considerably better, i in 30 packages destroyed - except for
    > a GS160 shipped from the UK that came in with a 15 Degree slant to it.
    > Needless to say our write off that year was considerable.
    >
    > US mail book rate (i could put a book with it) would be the cheapest
    > I will see what that is and get back to you

    Sounds great! Looking forward to reading from you ;-)

    b.r.,

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread