How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E? - DEC

This is a discussion on How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E? - DEC ; I've got a DEC workstation running Digital Unix v4.00E. How may I set the ethernet NIC's port speed and duplex (during bootup) to 100Mb/s full duplex? Right now it defaults to 100Mb/s half duplex with autonegotiation turned off. I currently ...

  1. How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E?

    I've got a DEC workstation running Digital Unix v4.00E. How may I set
    the ethernet NIC's port speed and duplex (during bootup) to 100Mb/s
    full duplex? Right now it defaults to 100Mb/s half duplex with
    autonegotiation turned off. I currently use the following command to
    set the desired speed and duplex manually: Ifconfig tu0 speed 200 .

  2. Re: How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E?

    akwete@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I've got a DEC workstation running Digital Unix v4.00E.

    Could you be slightly more specific around the system and network
    hardware involved? There are a number of Alpha boxes can bootstrap
    what I assume is Tru64 UNIX.

    > ... How may I set
    > the ethernet NIC's port speed and duplex (during bootup) to 100Mb/s
    > full duplex? Right now it defaults to 100Mb/s half duplex with
    > autonegotiation turned off. I currently use the following command to
    > set the desired speed and duplex manually: Ifconfig tu0 speed 200 .

    Using the OpenVMS flavour of SRM, there are environment variables
    available for this purpose at the console level. I'm not as familiar
    with the Unix SRM flavour, that may or may not have similar environment
    variable setttings. Look for the E*A0_MODE console environment values,
    etc., at the SRM prompt.

    If your particular hardware does not have these, I'd ask for details
    on the particular platform, the particular NIC involved, and the SRM
    version.

    As for how Tru64 Unix might implement this within Unix itself, I
    don't know. OpenVMS adapts to the settings from the SRM console, as
    required.

  3. Re: How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E?

    On 7 Jun 2006 12:56:56 -0700, akwete@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I've got a DEC workstation running Digital Unix v4.00E. How may I set
    > the ethernet NIC's port speed and duplex (during bootup) to 100Mb/s
    > full duplex? Right now it defaults to 100Mb/s half duplex with
    > autonegotiation turned off. I currently use the following command to
    > set the desired speed and duplex manually: Ifconfig tu0 speed 200 .

    This is a question in the FAQ that used to get regularly posted to
    comp.unix.tru64 but now seems to be available from www.tru64.org. The link
    from the main page seems to be broken but you can find the FAQ
    here...http://www.tru64.org/faq/tru64_faq.php

    Given that you have a tu0 device in unix, I think that would translate to
    an ewa0 device at the srm-console.
    So take the system down to the >>> prompt using shutdown -h, when you get
    there, then type in show ewa0_mode. It should show something like auto.
    Then change it with set ewa0_mode FastFD.

    Or given that you say ifconfig works for you at the moment you could just
    put something in one of the startup scripts that runs during boot and does
    the right thing. You could for example put it in the /sbin/init.d/network
    script.
    Hope that helps
    Adam

  4. Re: How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E?

    If the card is compatible, mii-tool should do the trick... Will L G

    "Adam Price" wrote in message
    > On 7 Jun 2006 12:56:56 -0700, akwete@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a DEC workstation running Digital Unix v4.00E. How may I set
    >> the ethernet NIC's port speed and duplex (during bootup) to 100Mb/s
    >> full duplex? Right now it defaults to 100Mb/s half duplex with
    >> autonegotiation turned off. I currently use the following command to
    >> set the desired speed and duplex manually: Ifconfig tu0 speed 200 .

    > This is a question in the FAQ that used to get regularly posted to
    > comp.unix.tru64 but now seems to be available from www.tru64.org. The link
    > from the main page seems to be broken but you can find the FAQ
    > here...http://www.tru64.org/faq/tru64_faq.php
    >
    > Given that you have a tu0 device in unix, I think that would translate to
    > an ewa0 device at the srm-console.
    > So take the system down to the >>> prompt using shutdown -h, when you get
    > there, then type in show ewa0_mode. It should show something like auto.
    > Then change it with set ewa0_mode FastFD.
    >
    > Or given that you say ifconfig works for you at the moment you could just
    > put something in one of the startup scripts that runs during boot and does
    > the right thing. You could for example put it in the /sbin/init.d/network
    > script.
    > Hope that helps
    > Adam

  5. Re: How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E?

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:15:36 GMT, DiskMan wrote:

    > If the card is compatible, mii-tool should do the trick... Will L G

    Not on digital unix I don't think. I can try and build it later on today
    but unless you have explicit knowlege that it works then I think you are
    just wrong.
    More importantly mii-tool is never a permanent solution on it's own even in
    the Linux world.
    Adam

  6. Re: How may I set NIC port speed and duplex on Digital Unix 4.00E?

    In comp.unix.admin DiskMan :
    > "Adam Price" wrote in message
    >> On 7 Jun 2006 12:56:56 -0700, akwete@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got a DEC workstation running Digital Unix v4.00E. How may I set
    >>> the ethernet NIC's port speed and duplex (during bootup) to 100Mb/s
    >>> full duplex? Right now it defaults to 100Mb/s half duplex with
    >>> autonegotiation turned off. I currently use the following command to
    >>> set the desired speed and duplex manually: Ifconfig tu0 speed 200 .

    >> This is a question in the FAQ that used to get regularly posted to
    >> comp.unix.tru64 but now seems to be available from www.tru64.org. The link
    >> from the main page seems to be broken but you can find the FAQ
    >> here...http://www.tru64.org/faq/tru64_faq.php
    >>
    >> Given that you have a tu0 device in unix, I think that would translate to
    >> an ewa0 device at the srm-console.
    >> So take the system down to the >>> prompt using shutdown -h, when you get
    >> there, then type in show ewa0_mode. It should show something like auto.
    >> Then change it with set ewa0_mode FastFD.
    >>
    >> Or given that you say ifconfig works for you at the moment you could just
    >> put something in one of the startup scripts that runs during boot and does
    >> the right thing. You could for example put it in the /sbin/init.d/network
    >> script.
    >> Hope that helps
    >> Adam

    > If the card is compatible, mii-tool should do the trick... Will L G

    Nope, 'mii-tool' is a Linux specific tool, not available on
    Tru64, the above mentioned method should do the trick, though
    (iirc) one should be able to set srm parameters through 'consvar'
    (man consvar) from a running Tru64 system.

    #bofh excuse 30: positron router malfunction

+ Reply to Thread