VAXstation 8000 Information - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXstation 8000 Information - DEC ; Hi, Does anyone have info on the VAXStation 8000 (codenamed Lynx). I worked for Digital when this came out, and worked for quite a few weeks on a benchmark for a customer. Just curious if documentation for the SGR Graphics ...

  1. VAXstation 8000 Information

    Hi,

    Does anyone have info on the VAXStation 8000 (codenamed Lynx).

    I worked for Digital when this came out, and worked for quite a few
    weeks on a benchmark for a customer.

    Just curious if documentation for the SGR Graphics Library still
    existed. (Evans & Sutherland?)

    Mark Jeffery.

  2. Re: VAXstation 8000 Information

    schreef in bericht
    news:1148162295.632804.301310@y43g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone have info on the VAXStation 8000 (codenamed Lynx).
    >
    > I worked for Digital when this came out, and worked for quite a few
    > weeks on a benchmark for a customer.
    >
    > Just curious if documentation for the SGR Graphics Library still
    > existed. (Evans & Sutherland?)
    >
    > Mark Jeffery.

    IIRC it was a VAX8200 (possibly later on an 8250) with a custom video card
    that went into its BI bus.

    The installation guide:
    http://deathrow.vistech.net/~cvisors...S/vs800ig1.txt

    SPD: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/info/SP25D8/SP25D8PF.PDF

    Hans

  3. Re: VAXstation 8000 Information

    mark.jeffery@gmail.com spake the secret code
    <1148162295.632804.301310@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com> thusly:

    >Does anyone have info on the VAXStation 8000 (codenamed Lynx).

    I've been looking for one for my collection for about a year now;
    haven't found anyone who has one, much less has one available for my
    collection.

    >I worked for Digital when this came out, and worked for quite a few
    >weeks on a benchmark for a customer.

    I had just started grad school at the UofU when this came out and it
    was demonstrated by E&S salesmen to our graphics class. It looked
    pretty sweet with the E&S graphics.

    It seems the CPU was relatively underpowered and the product was
    canned within 1 year of its introduction. I have the VAX Systems &
    Options Catalog from 1988 with the VS8000 listed inside. I was
    planning on scanning the spec. sheets for this and putting it online.
    I can prioritize this higher if it would help you out.

    >Just curious if documentation for the SGR Graphics Library still
    >existed. (Evans & Sutherland?)

    Yes, it was Evans & Sutherland graphics in the system.

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  4. Re: VAXstation 8000 Information

    On 2006-05-25, Richard wrote:
    > mark.jeffery@gmail.com spake the secret code
    ><1148162295.632804.301310@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com> thusly:
    >>I worked for Digital when this came out, and worked for quite a few
    >>weeks on a benchmark for a customer.

    > I had just started grad school at the UofU when this came out and it
    > was demonstrated by E&S salesmen to our graphics class. It looked
    > pretty sweet with the E&S graphics.

    I've never seen one with the graphics.

    A PPOE did a handful of VAXBI add-on devices. Since DEC was desperate
    for licensees, they shipped us one to use for development. Nice, becuase
    it's physically a small self-contained box. There was space for two
    6-slot VAXBI backplanes, but I've only seen them with one; the other
    space is normally taken up by the E&S graphics option.

    Since we didn't have graphics for ours, I dubbed it a "MicroVAX 8000".

    Some of our boards were controlled by a Z80. For development of the
    firmware, I booted CP/M-80 on the boards and used M80 and L80. Which means
    that, for a while, I had VAXBI CP/M-80 machine living in a spare
    VAXBI backplane. CP/M boots MUCH more quickly than VMS does...

    When E&S sold off their stuff, we picked up a system for spares.

    I left that company 5+ years ago. I doubt they still have the 8000s.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  5. Re: VAXstation 8000 Information

    Roger Ivie spake the secret code
    thusly:

    >When E&S sold off their stuff, we picked up a system for spares.
    >
    >I left that company 5+ years ago. I doubt they still have the 8000s.

    ....since I'm after the graphics and your company didn't have the
    graphics in them, that wouldn't be very useful to me :-).

    I get the impression that mere handfulls of these were sold. It
    doesn't appear in the 1989 Systems & Options Catalog.

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  6. Re: VAXstation 8000 Information

    Richard wrote:

    > Roger Ivie spake the secret code
    > thusly:
    >
    > >When E&S sold off their stuff, we picked up a system for spares.
    > >
    > >I left that company 5+ years ago. I doubt they still have the 8000s.

    > ...since I'm after the graphics and your company didn't have the
    > graphics in them, that wouldn't be very useful to me :-).
    >
    > I get the impression that mere handfulls of these were sold. It
    > doesn't appear in the 1989 Systems & Options Catalog.
    > --
    > "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"-- code samples, sample chapter, FAQ:
    >
    > Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

    We shipped less than 10 (from Europe), I worked on them in Ayr, the
    remainder around
    35 systems were sent to be scrapped as a corporate write-off, I used a
    few of them as demo systems, tried to get a few before they were
    scrapped but no luck, have tried over the last few years to find one to
    repair/run but no luck, be easier to get a 9000.

    There was plenty of docs on the Shadofax boards , modules were produced
    in ABO (new mexico)

    hth

    -eric

+ Reply to Thread