terminal server for vax? - DEC

This is a discussion on terminal server for vax? - DEC ; In article , "David J. Dachtera" writes: > Bill Gunshannon wrote: >> >> The only one missing from any of my RJ45 >> serial connectors is Ring ndicator and, as you already stated, this >> was made un-necessary by AutoAnswer. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: terminal server for vax?

    In article <444A712F.1C02508F@neoasrptahmlnionwk.net>,
    "David J. Dachtera" writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>
    >> The only one missing from any of my RJ45
    >> serial connectors is Ring ndicator and, as you already stated, this
    >> was made un-necessary by AutoAnswer. Add to this the fact that Frame
    >> Ground is also not usually needed (or used for anything)...

    > ...in unshielded cables...

    When was the last time you saw shielded cable crimped onto an RJ45? :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  2. Re: terminal server for vax?

    In message <4avf5tFv5ijeU2@individual.net>
    bill@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

    > In article <444A712F.1C02508F@neoasrptahmlnionwk.net>,
    > "David J. Dachtera" writes:
    >> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The only one missing from any of my RJ45
    >>> serial connectors is Ring ndicator and, as you already stated, this
    >>> was made un-necessary by AutoAnswer. Add to this the fact that Frame
    >>> Ground is also not usually needed (or used for anything)...

    >> ...in unshielded cables...
    >>

    > When was the last time you saw shielded cable crimped onto an RJ45? :-)

    2001

    Where the main structured wiring trunk had to run fairly close to some
    RF heaters.

    --
    Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
    alan.adams@orchard-way.freeserve.co.uk

  3. Re: terminal server for vax?

    In article <4avf5tFv5ijeU2@individual.net>,
    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >In article <444A712F.1C02508F@neoasrptahmlnionwk.net>,
    > "David J. Dachtera" writes:
    >> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The only one missing from any of my RJ45
    >>> serial connectors is Ring ndicator and, as you already stated, this
    >>> was made un-necessary by AutoAnswer. Add to this the fact that Frame
    >>> Ground is also not usually needed (or used for anything)...

    >> ...in unshielded cables...
    >>

    >When was the last time you saw shielded cable crimped onto an RJ45? :-)
    >
    >bill
    >
    >--
    >Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    >bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    >University of Scranton |
    >Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    Friday.

    At work.

    It's used a lot for T1 cables.

    Bill

    d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN. Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
    pechter-at-ureachtechnologies.com

  4. Re: terminal server for vax?

    bill@cs.uofs.edu spake the secret code
    <4av67uFu4k6vU1@individual.net> thusly:

    >> Incidentally DEC's RJ45 and MMJ carry RS423 signals, not RS232 - the

    >Oh, why didn't you say in the first place that the RJ45s were just
    >a different connector on DECConnect? Now it makes more sense. But,
    >remember that while MMJ (with only 6 wires) was a DEC invention, lots
    >of people did RJ45 serial ports and apparently, DEC was the only one
    >who got it wrong!

    You lost me with that last comment; what is it that DEC got wrong?

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  5. Re: terminal server for vax?

    CXY08 - 8 port
    CXA16 - 16 port MMJ (partial modem ctrl?)
    CXB16 - 16 port not sure what difference to above
    DHQ11-SA also for 8 port w/mdm ctrl

    DT

    "Howard S Shubs" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com (Richard) wrote:
    >
    >> What would have been typically used on a VAXserver 4000/300 to provide
    >> support for a large number of serial terminals (say 8, 16 or 32 ports)?

    > CXY08?
    >
    > --
    > We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    > Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams.
    > from "Ode", Arthur O'Shaughnessy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2