PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info? - DEC

This is a discussion on PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info? - DEC ; I've recently picked up a used PWS 433a on eBay, and as my luck would have it, I can't get it to boot. First thing I did was pull the motherboard out and remove the battery, to clear the CMOS. ...

  1. PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    I've recently picked up a used PWS 433a on eBay, and as my luck would
    have it, I can't get it to boot. First thing I did was pull the
    motherboard out and remove the battery, to clear the CMOS. Didn't
    change anything. Now, I know that those 8 green LEDs are for diagnostic
    purposes, but the manuals I've found simply say to contact your digital
    repair center if the lights stay lit. The order in which they light up
    and off don't seem to suggest it's displaying POST codes, and none of
    the POST codes I've managed to locate online seem to correspond to what
    I'm looking at either.

    Does anyone know how to decipher these LEDs?

  2. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    DrSlinky wrote:
    > I've recently picked up a used PWS 433a on eBay, and as my luck would
    > have it, I can't get it to boot. First thing I did was pull the
    > motherboard out and remove the battery, to clear the CMOS. Didn't
    > change anything. Now, I know that those 8 green LEDs are for diagnostic
    > purposes, but the manuals I've found simply say to contact your digital
    > repair center if the lights stay lit. The order in which they light up
    > and off don't seem to suggest it's displaying POST codes, and none of
    > the POST codes I've managed to locate online seem to correspond to what
    > I'm looking at either.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to decipher these LEDs?

    Can't help you with the LED codes, but have worked on *many* PWS's,
    maybe I can help a little.
    Are you getting any beep codes?
    If you're having ram compatibility issues, it will beep. Remove and
    reseat all RAM. RAM needs to be in matched pairs, check that all RAM is
    similar. Remove all but two sticks of ram in bank 0. Make SURE ram is
    compatible with PWS, PC66(100 will work, 133 will not), CL2, ECC. PWS
    won't recognize any Ram module >256mb.
    Check to see if all fans come on with power on of system. If any one fan
    is not working, it won't boot.
    Remove all add on boards except video card. Unplug all HD's, CD's and
    floppy.
    If still no boot, try a different video card.
    Make sure jumper settings on upper MB haven't been changed by someone
    trying to overclock it. The correct settings are: 01011001

    Good luck!

    TomC

  3. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    Crabs wrote:
    > DrSlinky wrote:
    >
    >> I've recently picked up a used PWS 433a on eBay, and as my luck would
    >> have it, I can't get it to boot. First thing I did was pull the
    >> motherboard out and remove the battery, to clear the CMOS. Didn't
    >> change anything. Now, I know that those 8 green LEDs are for
    >> diagnostic purposes, but the manuals I've found simply say to contact
    >> your digital repair center if the lights stay lit. The order in which
    >> they light up and off don't seem to suggest it's displaying POST
    >> codes, and none of the POST codes I've managed to locate online seem
    >> to correspond to what I'm looking at either.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to decipher these LEDs?

    > Can't help you with the LED codes, but have worked on *many* PWS's,
    > maybe I can help a little.
    > Are you getting any beep codes?
    > If you're having ram compatibility issues, it will beep. Remove and
    > reseat all RAM. RAM needs to be in matched pairs, check that all RAM is
    > similar. Remove all but two sticks of ram in bank 0. Make SURE ram is
    > compatible with PWS, PC66(100 will work, 133 will not), CL2, ECC. PWS
    > won't recognize any Ram module >256mb.
    > Check to see if all fans come on with power on of system. If any one fan
    > is not working, it won't boot.
    > Remove all add on boards except video card. Unplug all HD's, CD's and
    > floppy.
    > If still no boot, try a different video card.
    > Make sure jumper settings on upper MB haven't been changed by someone
    > trying to overclock it. The correct settings are: 01011001
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > TomC

    No beep codes. I've got that drives all out, as well as all the PCI cards.

    As for those 8 LEDs, I do have some information. The light at row 2,
    column 2, is related to the hard drives/SCSI controller. Seems to light
    up while the system is detecting the drives. Light goes away much
    faster with no SCSI controllers installed. The LED at row 2, column 4
    seems to be related to the video. It'll light up when there's no video
    card installed, or if the monitor isn't on. It's the light at row 2,
    column 3 that I need to figure out, as it's the one I can't get to go away.

    The RAM is 4 dimms, labelled 54-25084-DA. Actual memory on the dimms is
    manufactured by Hitachi, marked as Toshiba, TC59S1608AFT. Switching
    around the dimms, trying different slots, doesn't resolve the error.
    PC66, 32M. Physical dimm has 18 chips on it, not the normal 16. So I'm
    pretty sure that makes it ECC.

    How picky is the machine about the video card? I have a pile of old S3
    Virge PCI video cards sitting here.

    All the fans are connected, and spinning. DIP switches for processor
    speed are correct. Had already checked that a couple days earlier.

  4. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:06:00 -0400
    DrSlinky wrote:

    > No beep codes. I've got that drives all out, as well as all the PCI
    > cards.

    That's strange. No beeps should IIRC only occur if everything's fine or
    the speaker is - well - disconnected.

    > [...]
    > The RAM is 4 dimms, labelled 54-25084-DA. Actual memory on the dimms
    > is manufactured by Hitachi, marked as Toshiba, TC59S1608AFT.
    > Switching around the dimms, trying different slots, doesn't resolve
    > the error. PC66, 32M. Physical dimm has 18 chips on it, not the
    > normal 16. So I'm pretty sure that makes it ECC.

    Yes. That's ECC and according to the part number it seems to be genuine
    DEC (or what the company is called this week) memory.

    > How picky is the machine about the video card? I have a pile of old
    > S3 Virge PCI video cards sitting here.

    S3 Virge should be fine as well. On the other hand, maybe the console
    is set to serial. Do you have to capability to read out the output on
    either serial port, e.g. with a null modem cable and a terminal
    emulator?

    > All the fans are connected, and spinning. DIP switches for processor
    > speed are correct. Had already checked that a couple days earlier.

    Good luck,

    Marc

  5. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:06:00 -0400
    > DrSlinky wrote:
    >

    >>No beep codes. I've got that drives all out, as well as all the PCI
    >>cards.

    > That's strange. No beeps should IIRC only occur if everything's fine or
    > the speaker is - well - disconnected.
    >
    >>[...]
    >>The RAM is 4 dimms, labelled 54-25084-DA. Actual memory on the dimms
    >>is manufactured by Hitachi, marked as Toshiba, TC59S1608AFT.
    >>Switching around the dimms, trying different slots, doesn't resolve
    >>the error. PC66, 32M. Physical dimm has 18 chips on it, not the
    >>normal 16. So I'm pretty sure that makes it ECC.

    > Yes. That's ECC and according to the part number it seems to be genuine
    > DEC (or what the company is called this week) memory.
    >

    >>How picky is the machine about the video card? I have a pile of old
    >>S3 Virge PCI video cards sitting here.

    > S3 Virge should be fine as well. On the other hand, maybe the console
    > is set to serial. Do you have to capability to read out the output on
    > either serial port, e.g. with a null modem cable and a terminal
    > emulator?
    >

    >>All the fans are connected, and spinning. DIP switches for processor
    >>speed are correct. Had already checked that a couple days earlier.

    > Good luck,
    >
    > Marc

    As a matter of fact, yes I do. When you need parts that you never
    thought anyone would need anymore, RadioShack has 'em! Serial mice
    included.

    No windows machine near it though. How would I go about connecting on a
    Linux box? Fedora Core 2, specifically.

  6. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 03:54:09 -0400
    DrSlinky wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > As a matter of fact, yes I do. When you need parts that you never
    > thought anyone would need anymore, RadioShack has 'em! Serial mice
    > included.

    That's cool :-)

    > No windows machine near it though. How would I go about connecting
    > on a Linux box? Fedora Core 2, specifically.

    Get minicom. The standard settings for the serial console are
    9600n8,0/VT100/VT102.

    HTH,

    Marc

  7. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    In article <20060417122845.07366f8f.fishtank.spam@web.de>,
    Marc Schlensog wrote:
    >On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 03:54:09 -0400
    >DrSlinky wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> As a matter of fact, yes I do. When you need parts that you never
    >> thought anyone would need anymore, RadioShack has 'em! Serial mice
    >> included.

    >That's cool :-)

    Indeed, but even Radio Shack is missing a few things. I'll have to go to
    E-Bay if I want tubes for my parents' old radio set.
    --
    A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.
    A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops -- surely another accident.

  8. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 03:54:09 -0400
    > DrSlinky wrote:
    >

    >>[...]
    >>
    >>As a matter of fact, yes I do. When you need parts that you never
    >>thought anyone would need anymore, RadioShack has 'em! Serial mice
    >>included.

    > That's cool :-)
    >

    >>No windows machine near it though. How would I go about connecting
    >>on a Linux box? Fedora Core 2, specifically.

    > Get minicom. The standard settings for the serial console are
    > 9600n8,0/VT100/VT102.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Marc

    Doesn't look good.

    I've got the null modem cable connected to the top serial port on both
    machines. I tried connecting with UUCP (cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600), and
    it says it's connected, but I'm not seeing anything. If I reboot the
    PWS while connected, I'll get an "A" on the terminal screen, but nothing
    else. Reboot 4 times, and I get "AAAA".

    The diagnostic LEDs are still the same. Row 2, Column 3 stays lit up,
    no matter how long I let it sit.

  9. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    DrSlinky wrote:
    > Marc Schlensog wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 03:54:09 -0400
    >> DrSlinky wrote:
    >>

    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> As a matter of fact, yes I do. When you need parts that you never
    >>> thought anyone would need anymore, RadioShack has 'em! Serial mice
    >>> included.

    >> That's cool :-)
    >>

    >>> No windows machine near it though. How would I go about connecting
    >>> on a Linux box? Fedora Core 2, specifically.

    >> Get minicom. The standard settings for the serial console are
    >> 9600n8,0/VT100/VT102.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Marc

    > Doesn't look good.
    >
    > I've got the null modem cable connected to the top serial port on both
    > machines. I tried connecting with UUCP (cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600), and
    > it says it's connected, but I'm not seeing anything. If I reboot the
    > PWS while connected, I'll get an "A" on the terminal screen, but nothing
    > else. Reboot 4 times, and I get "AAAA".
    >
    > The diagnostic LEDs are still the same. Row 2, Column 3 stays lit up,
    > no matter how long I let it sit.

    And there she is... on the bottom serial port of the PWS. Only problem
    now is UUCP looks like ****, and minicom doesn't seem to like the F2 key
    at all. =\

  10. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    LED code on DPWS 433a :

    MSB 7 6 5 4 upper row
    3 2 1 0 LSB lower row
    First Hex code = F ( if 7,6,5,4 on)
    = 0 ( if 7,6,5,4 off)
    Second Hex = F ( if 3,2,1,0 on)
    = 0 ( if 3,2,1,0 off)

    Check to see the LED code, It should be E4 that means system at console
    prompt
    wait for enter SRM command. Fatal error if FF to F0, error if EF to E5.
    The system can't locate 2MB memory if LED=E6 and you should hear 1-3-3
    beep code.

    Good luck.
    M.T.

  11. Re: PWS433a Diagnostic LEDs Info?

    S3 Virge based boards do not work in Graphical mode from my experience

    S3Trio64's do

    Other graphics cards

    permedia 2 (ELSA etc)
    PBXGB
    PBXGK
    PBXGD

    As for the LED codes,

    SRM Diagnostic LED Codes
    The SRM Console used for Digital UNIX and OpenVMS is loaded after the
    Power-On Self-Test. It may use these LED codes as a progress indicator, but
    this table cannot be used by itself to diagnose a system hang.
    Code Discription
    FF starting console on each CPU
    FE set up the semaphore and process queue headers initialized
    idlePCB
    FD initializing semaphores
    FC initializing heap
    FB initial heap
    FA memory low limit
    F9 initializing driver structures
    F8 initializing idle process PID
    F7 initializing file system Initialize phase 0 drivers - Null
    toynvram Flash IIC SMC
    F6 initializing timer data structures
    F5 lowering IPL - begin taking interrupts
    F4 entering idle loop
    EF configure memory
    EE Initialize Vector Table
    ED PCI bus size and configure (looks for all PCI devices and
    allocatesresources)
    EC size and configure the isa bus
    EB Phase 3 drivers - COM1/2 TGA graphics VGA BIOSkeyboard (gets
    aconsole I/O device set up)
    EA Locate the HWRPB
    E9 Phase 4 drivers - (doesn't touch H/W) events error log all
    ex/depMOP protocol SCSI protocol pipes files
    E8 build hwrpb
    E7 scsi class driver - (doesn't touch H/W)
    E6 Phase 5 drivers - tcp/ip class disk partition, FAT file system,
    thenALL HARDWARE CONTROLLERS: Atapi,DE205 floppy, NCR810 PCI NVRAM, PCI
    FDDI,DEFPA,PCI Token ring, SCSI RAID, SCSI KZPSA, ISP1020, Adaptec 788x, PCI
    Tulip(de434 P1SE DE435 etc) memory channel
    E5 nothing (TBD - need any LED codes from other firmware
    (AlphaBIOS).)
    E4 show console build version then set up the sound hardware

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    "Marc Schlensog" wrote in message
    news:20060417042649.dc097a28.fishtank.spam@web.de. ..
    > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:06:00 -0400
    > DrSlinky wrote:
    >
    > > No beep codes. I've got that drives all out, as well as all the PCI
    > > cards.

    > That's strange. No beeps should IIRC only occur if everything's fine or
    > the speaker is - well - disconnected.
    > >
    > > [...]
    > > The RAM is 4 dimms, labelled 54-25084-DA. Actual memory on the dimms
    > > is manufactured by Hitachi, marked as Toshiba, TC59S1608AFT.
    > > Switching around the dimms, trying different slots, doesn't resolve
    > > the error. PC66, 32M. Physical dimm has 18 chips on it, not the
    > > normal 16. So I'm pretty sure that makes it ECC.

    > Yes. That's ECC and according to the part number it seems to be genuine
    > DEC (or what the company is called this week) memory.
    >
    > > How picky is the machine about the video card? I have a pile of old
    > > S3 Virge PCI video cards sitting here.

    > S3 Virge should be fine as well. On the other hand, maybe the console
    > is set to serial. Do you have to capability to read out the output on
    > either serial port, e.g. with a null modem cable and a terminal
    > emulator?
    >
    > > All the fans are connected, and spinning. DIP switches for processor
    > > speed are correct. Had already checked that a couple days earlier.

    > Good luck,
    >
    > Marc

+ Reply to Thread