Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20 - DEC

This is a discussion on Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20 - DEC ; Hello, as the title says, the DS20 that i have found a few months ago is still craving for RAM. I'm in France and this is not easy at all to find in Paris' stores... I haven't found any decent ...

  1. Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20

    Hello,
    as the title says, the DS20 that i have found a few months ago
    is still craving for RAM. I'm in France and this is
    not easy at all to find in Paris' stores...
    I haven't found any decent price on the net either.
    I have seen SGI SDRAM but they are not accepted by the firmware
    (has anybody attempted to re-flash the serial detection EEPROM ?)

    Even with a volume bargain (if i fill all 16 slots,
    though there is already 4*256MB), this is still out of budget,
    considering that today one GB (DDR SDRAM) costs < 80Euros (new).
    Even used.

    What would it cost if i push it to 8GB (16*512M) ?
    [Because for such an architecture, it doesn't make
    any sense to have < 4GB]

    The second CPU slot is also sadly empty, btw...
    A second 500MHz board would be cool but i have
    not found any attractive offer.

    YG

  2. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20

    I thought the DS20 was simply the 264DP? Have you simply tried PC100 ECC
    Ram? You would have to either install it in pairs, all the same size, or all
    your slots with the same size. Something like that... Will L G

    "YG" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > as the title says, the DS20 that i have found a few months ago
    > is still craving for RAM. I'm in France and this is
    > not easy at all to find in Paris' stores...
    > I haven't found any decent price on the net either.
    > I have seen SGI SDRAM but they are not accepted by the firmware
    > (has anybody attempted to re-flash the serial detection EEPROM ?)
    >
    > Even with a volume bargain (if i fill all 16 slots,
    > though there is already 4*256MB), this is still out of budget,
    > considering that today one GB (DDR SDRAM) costs < 80Euros (new).
    > Even used.
    >
    > What would it cost if i push it to 8GB (16*512M) ?
    > [Because for such an architecture, it doesn't make
    > any sense to have < 4GB]
    >
    > The second CPU slot is also sadly empty, btw...
    > A second 500MHz board would be cool but i have
    > not found any attractive offer.
    >
    > YG

  3. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd handDS20

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:40:09 GMT
    " DiskMan" wrote:

    > I thought the DS20 was simply the 264DP? Have you simply tried PC100
    > ECC Ram? You would have to either install it in pairs, all the same
    > size, or all your slots with the same size. Something like that...
    > Will L G

    PC100ECC Registered SD-RAM sounds about right, you need 200pin memory
    though and have to install them in quads or - for better performance -
    in octs. The UP2000 takes regular 168pin modules.

    Marc

  4. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd handDS20

    hi,

    DiskMan wrote:

    > I thought the DS20 was simply the 264DP? Have you simply tried PC100 ECC
    > Ram? You would have to either install it in pairs, all the same size, or all
    > your slots with the same size. Something like that... Will L G

    The firmware is very picky about the installed RAM modules,
    a nice heart on another group sent me 3 identical modules and no
    combination of two worked on the companion DS10/XP900.

    The DS20 (wich is EV6-based clocked 500MHz for me) needs FOUR
    identical modules.

    Still no solution in sigh(t)...

    YG

  5. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20

    Well we have 512MB we can sell cheaply

    For $180 - no Compaq but still work fine
    Also have the DS20 CPU's coming out of our ears $299

    David

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    "YG" wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > DiskMan wrote:
    >
    > > I thought the DS20 was simply the 264DP? Have you simply tried PC100 ECC
    > > Ram? You would have to either install it in pairs, all the same size, or

    all
    > > your slots with the same size. Something like that... Will L G

    > The firmware is very picky about the installed RAM modules,
    > a nice heart on another group sent me 3 identical modules and no
    > combination of two worked on the companion DS10/XP900.
    >
    > The DS20 (wich is EV6-based clocked 500MHz for me) needs FOUR
    > identical modules.
    >
    > Still no solution in sigh(t)...
    >
    > YG

  6. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd handDS20

    David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    > Well we have 512MB we can sell cheaply
    > For $180 - no Compaq but still work fine

    *gasp* $180==cheap ? that would still be ok if that
    was for 4modules=2GB, but my target is to have > 4GB...

    > Also have the DS20 CPU's coming out of our ears $299

    hmmm that's roughly the price i paid for 4 used alpha boxes...

    *sigh* maybe one day i'll find what i want, it's just a matter
    of patience...

    > David

    YG

  7. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd handDS20

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 14:25:03 +0200
    YG wrote:

    > David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    > > Well we have 512MB we can sell cheaply
    > > For $180 - no Compaq but still work fine

    > *gasp* $180==cheap ? that would still be ok if that
    > was for 4modules=2GB, but my target is to have > 4GB...

    Can a DS20 cope with 512MB modules? I know that this configuration
    isn't officially supported...

    Marc

  8. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd handDS20

    hi,

    Marc Schlensog wrote:
    >>*gasp* $180==cheap ? that would still be ok if that
    >>was for 4modules=2GB, but my target is to have > 4GB...

    > Can a DS20 cope with 512MB modules? I know that this configuration
    > isn't officially supported...

    well, i probably could ....
    no idea. i have had no luck trying other modules,
    even one set marked as DEC's, up to now.

    > Marc

    YG

  9. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20

    "David Turner, Island Computers US Corp" wrote:

    > Well we have 512MB we can sell cheaply
    >
    > For $180 - no Compaq but still work fine
    > Also have the DS20 CPU's coming out of our ears $299

    I'll take your used Q-tips! Probably have some silicon "residue" ;-)

    (...as opposed to serious-con...)

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  10. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd hand DS20

    4GB requires 4 x 1GB sets (4 x 256mb DIMM)

    You can't put 512MB DIMMS or 1GB DIMMS in the DS20 or DS20e

    DT

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    "YG" wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > >>*gasp* $180==cheap ? that would still be ok if that
    > >>was for 4modules=2GB, but my target is to have > 4GB...

    > > Can a DS20 cope with 512MB modules? I know that this configuration
    > > isn't officially supported...

    > well, i probably could ....
    > no idea. i have had no luck trying other modules,
    > even one set marked as DEC's, up to now.
    >
    > > Marc

    > YG

  11. Re: Still needing RAM (and eventually a 2nd CPU) for my 2nd handDS20

    hi,

    David Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote:
    > 4GB requires 4 x 1GB sets (4 x 256mb DIMM)
    > You can't put 512MB DIMMS or 1GB DIMMS in the DS20 or DS20e

    not a big problem, there are 16 slots :-)
    Even if there was only 4GB (16*256MB) in my box,
    that would still be "good". and it breaks my heart
    to see this machine with "only" one gigabyte...

    happy hacking everybody,

    > DT

    YG

+ Reply to Thread