VAX 7000 series - DEC

This is a discussion on VAX 7000 series - DEC ; Hello folks, I was searching for some technical manuals and was able find them (VAX 6600 and VAX 7000/10000) on vt100.net web site (manx page). I noticed that later models like VAX 6600 and VAX 7000) now supports full 32-bit ...

  1. VAX 7000 series

    Hello folks,

    I was searching for some technical manuals and was able find them (VAX 6600
    and VAX 7000/10000) on vt100.net web site (manx page). I noticed that later
    models like VAX 6600 and VAX 7000) now supports full 32-bit addressing for
    larger memory model (up to 3.5GB) and start 0xE0000000 as I/O space.

    Also, I was able find other VAX 7000 technical manuals execept I/O system
    technical manual. Does anyone have a copy of EK-7010A-TM (I/O system
    technical manual) for online available? Also, I was able find XMI adaptor
    manual that provides register access for DEMNA, CIXCD, etc. for other
    operating systems like NetBSD, etc. I reviewed that manual and need to find
    two manuals EK-DEMNA-TM, EK-CIXCD-TM and VAXBI system reference manual.
    Does anyone have a copy of them?

    Is it possible to emulate VAX 7000 that supports different two processors -
    NVAX+ and Alpha 21064? Because I recently noticed that Charon-VAX provides
    VAX 6000 series emulation.

    Thanks!
    Tim

  2. Re: VAX 7000 series

    Timothy Stark wrote:

    >Hello folks,
    >
    >I was searching for some technical manuals and was able find them (VAX 6600
    >and VAX 7000/10000) on vt100.net web site (manx page). I noticed that later
    >models like VAX 6600 and VAX 7000) now supports full 32-bit addressing for
    >larger memory model (up to 3.5GB) and start 0xE0000000 as I/O space.
    >
    >Also, I was able find other VAX 7000 technical manuals execept I/O system
    >technical manual. Does anyone have a copy of EK-7010A-TM (I/O system
    >technical manual) for online available? Also, I was able find XMI adaptor
    >manual that provides register access for DEMNA, CIXCD, etc. for other
    >operating systems like NetBSD, etc. I reviewed that manual and need to find
    >two manuals EK-DEMNA-TM, EK-CIXCD-TM and VAXBI system reference manual.
    >Does anyone have a copy of them?
    >
    >Is it possible to emulate VAX 7000 that supports different two processors -
    >NVAX+ and Alpha 21064? Because I recently noticed that Charon-VAX provides
    >VAX 6000 series emulation.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Tim

    Dollars to donuts you won't find a BI SRM, since the BI was a
    proprietary bus.

    One of KO's worst decisions, IMHO, was declaring the BI to be closed, since
    that prevented third-party designers from making lots of I/O widgets
    available
    on VAXen. In an earlier era, one of the key reasons for the success of
    PDP-11s
    was the de facto openness of the UNIBUS and the Q-BUS -- and the tons of I/O
    widgets, both weird and wonderful, from non-DEC sources. Sigh.

    --
    Cheers, Bob

  3. Re: VAX 7000 series

    Bob Willard wrote:

    > Timothy Stark wrote:
    >
    >> Hello folks,
    >>
    >> I was searching for some technical manuals and was able find them (VAX
    >> 6600 and VAX 7000/10000) on vt100.net web site (manx page). I noticed
    >> that later models like VAX 6600 and VAX 7000) now supports full 32-bit
    >> addressing for larger memory model (up to 3.5GB) and start 0xE0000000
    >> as I/O space.
    >>
    >> Also, I was able find other VAX 7000 technical manuals execept I/O
    >> system technical manual. Does anyone have a copy of EK-7010A-TM (I/O
    >> system technical manual) for online available? Also, I was able find
    >> XMI adaptor manual that provides register access for DEMNA, CIXCD,
    >> etc. for other operating systems like NetBSD, etc. I reviewed that
    >> manual and need to find two manuals EK-DEMNA-TM, EK-CIXCD-TM and VAXBI
    >> system reference manual. Does anyone have a copy of them?
    >>
    >> Is it possible to emulate VAX 7000 that supports different two
    >> processors - NVAX+ and Alpha 21064? Because I recently noticed that
    >> Charon-VAX provides VAX 6000 series emulation.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Tim

    I remember working at a site that bought an old 8650 when 8500s were in
    vogue because they could buy third party products for the mass bus.

    > Dollars to donuts you won't find a BI SRM, since the BI was a
    > proprietary bus.
    >
    > One of KO's worst decisions, IMHO, was declaring the BI to be closed, since
    > that prevented third-party designers from making lots of I/O widgets
    > available
    > on VAXen. In an earlier era, one of the key reasons for the success of
    > PDP-11s
    > was the de facto openness of the UNIBUS and the Q-BUS -- and the tons of
    > I/O
    > widgets, both weird and wonderful, from non-DEC sources. Sigh.

  4. Re: VAX 7000 series

    "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    news:NZidnbou3sULfp3ZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Dollars to donuts you won't find a BI SRM, since the BI was a proprietary
    > bus.
    >
    > One of KO's worst decisions, IMHO, was declaring the BI to be closed,
    > since
    > that prevented third-party designers from making lots of I/O widgets
    > available
    > on VAXen. In an earlier era, one of the key reasons for the success of
    > PDP-11s
    > was the de facto openness of the UNIBUS and the Q-BUS -- and the tons of
    > I/O
    > widgets, both weird and wonderful, from non-DEC sources. Sigh.

    Yes, I confirmed that when I researched it through the Internet and found
    something. It said that DEC engineers designed VAXBI system for
    open-standards but marketing and mangement depts want it as propreitary
    instead. Yes, I agree with you about that. I favor open-standard hardware
    rather than propreitary devices because they lasts longer and
    wider-selection, etc.

    How about register-level I/O programming for third-party operating systems
    like NetBSD, etc?

    Thanks!
    Tim

  5. Re: VAX 7000 series

    Timothy Stark wrote:

    >Is it possible to emulate VAX 7000 that supports different two processors -
    >NVAX+ and Alpha 21064? Because I recently noticed that Charon-VAX provides
    >VAX 6000 series emulation.

    There is an article in the OpenVMS Tech Journal that explains that they
    went for the 6000 series because it was much more straightforward than
    the 7000.

    In terms of conversion, I think you'll find it's the same chassis and
    backplane, but some of the options that the VAX 7000 would support are
    unsupported on the Alpha versions (whether as a DEC7000 or as an 8400).
    IIRC, the conversion kit was a SCSI controller and internal CD-ROM
    drive, plus different CPUs and potentiall memory too. The clock chips
    would have needed changing too, as they did on moving from speed to
    speed in Alpha processors (the 625MHz had a different clock board than
    the one two speed hikes down, for example).

+ Reply to Thread