Kennedy 9600 9-track w/DQ132 on mVAX-II?? - DEC

This is a discussion on Kennedy 9600 9-track w/DQ132 on mVAX-II?? - DEC ; I have a MicroVAX-II and I want to add a Kennedy 9600 9 track drive. AFAIK , this drive has a standard Pertec interface and I was planning to use it with a Dilog DQ132 controller. The drive is capable ...

  1. Kennedy 9600 9-track w/DQ132 on mVAX-II??

    I have a MicroVAX-II and I want to add a Kennedy 9600 9 track drive.
    AFAIK, this drive has a standard Pertec interface and I was planning to
    use it with a Dilog DQ132 controller. The drive is capable of both 800
    and 1600bpi, and I need to be able to use it at both densities.

    I installed it and cabled it all up - VMS (v4.5 in this case) sees
    the DQ132 and autoconfigures it as MSA0 (a good sign!), and the drive
    seems happy and loads a tape. VMS reports that MSA0 is a TSV05 (which
    is what I'd expect) and doesn't log any errors. But, whenever I try to
    access the drive, VMS says that it's offline and I can't get it to
    actually do anything.

    Yes, the Kennedy is actually online (the online LED is lit) and the
    "select" LED on the drive flickers for an instant when VMS tries to
    access the drive. The drive is set as unit 0, and it was working the
    last time it was used (with an Emulex controller in that instance).

    Is there any reason why this combination wouldn't work? Does the
    DQ132 require a special driver or is the standard TS11/TSV05 driver
    sufficient?

    Would the Kennedy work with a standard TSV05 controller (M7196)?

    Thanks much,
    Bob Armstrong

  2. Re: Kennedy 9600 9-track w/DQ132 on mVAX-II??

    In article <1133452564.549067.223270@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, "Bob Armstrong" writes:

    > I have a MicroVAX-II and I want to add a Kennedy 9600 9 track drive.
    > AFAIK, this drive has a standard Pertec interface and I was planning to
    > use it with a Dilog DQ132 controller. The drive is capable of both 800
    > and 1600bpi, and I need to be able to use it at both densities.

    Qbus is not plug-and-play. Make sure you have the correct CSR and
    interrupt vectors, othrewise it may be recognized and not work.

    "offline" in the context you're seeing ususally means the tape
    drive is not talking to the controller, or the controller is not
    talking to the OS, it has nothing to do with the online/offline
    buttons on the drive.

+ Reply to Thread