Difference between LA120 and LS120 ? - DEC

This is a discussion on Difference between LA120 and LS120 ? - DEC ; Hello Folks, Anybody know ?? There's one available on EBay. I missed out on the LA120(s) last week, so I'm wondering if an LS120 is a reasonable alternative . Chuck...

  1. Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?

    Hello Folks,

    Anybody know ?? There's one available on EBay.

    I missed out on the LA120(s) last week, so I'm wondering if an LS120 is
    a reasonable alternative .

    Chuck

  2. Re: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?

    Schnootling wrote:

    > Hello Folks,
    >
    > Anybody know ?? There's one available on EBay.
    >
    > I missed out on the LA120(s) last week, so I'm wondering if an LS120 is
    > a reasonable alternative .

    AFAIK:

    o LA120 is a serial dot-matrix printer

    o LS120 is magneto-optical diskette design.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  3. Re: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?

    Schnootling wrote:
    > Hello Folks,
    >
    > Anybody know ?? There's one available on EBay.
    >
    > I missed out on the LA120(s) last week, so I'm wondering if an LS120 is
    > a reasonable alternative .
    >
    > Chuck

    >From what I can find the LS120 was the predecessor of the LA120.

    According to this website (http://www.crystel.com/Computers/ scroll to
    the bottom) it was based on the LA36. Corroborating evidence is that
    sever ribbon sales sites list the LS120 along with the LA30 and LA36 as
    using the same ribbon, but the LA120 is a different one. I'd have to
    suppose that it's probably not as sturdy as a LA120, but if you're not
    printing to it 24/7 then maybe it doen''t matter.

  4. Re: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?

    johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Schnootling wrote:
    > > Hello Folks,
    > >
    > > Anybody know ?? There's one available on EBay.
    > >
    > > I missed out on the LA120(s) last week, so I'm wondering if an LS120 is
    > > a reasonable alternative .
    > >
    > > Chuck

    > >From what I can find the LS120 was the predecessor of the LA120.

    > According to this website (http://www.crystel.com/Computers/ scroll to
    > the bottom) it was based on the LA36. Corroborating evidence is that
    > sever ribbon sales sites list the LS120 along with the LA30 and LA36 as
    > using the same ribbon, but the LA120 is a different one. I'd have to
    > suppose that it's probably not as sturdy as a LA120, but if you're not
    > printing to it 24/7 then maybe it doen''t matter.

    I believe thats correct, the LS120 came out in 1977
    and LA120 Decwriter III in 1978, here's an Aussie site thats
    shows the sequence(1971 LA30P,1975 LA36 ,etc) :

    http://netilium.org/~mad/dtj/DTJ/DTJN02/DTJN02AHM.HTM

    The DEC Self-Maintenance guide of 1986 shows a user manual, tech manual
    and operator manual for the LS-120 and call it the DecWriter III. Must
    have been
    the first beta version of the printer ?

  5. LA-36 vs. LA-120 ribbons (was: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?)

    "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" spake the secret code
    <1133139900.223838.117260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com> thusly:

    >[...] Corroborating evidence is that
    >sever ribbon sales sites list the LS120 along with the LA30 and LA36 as
    >using the same ribbon, but the LA120 is a different one.

    Its been a really long time since I've seen an LA-36 ribbon, but the
    ribbon on my LA120 looks identical to what I remember.

    What's the difference between the two ribbons?

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  6. Re: LA-36 vs. LA-120 ribbons (was: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?)

    Richard wrote:

    > "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" spake the secret code
    > <1133139900.223838.117260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com> thusly:
    >
    > >[...] Corroborating evidence is that
    > >sever ribbon sales sites list the LS120 along with the LA30 and LA36 as
    > >using the same ribbon, but the LA120 is a different one.

    > Its been a really long time since I've seen an LA-36 ribbon, but the
    > ribbon on my LA120 looks identical to what I remember.
    >
    > What's the difference between the two ribbons?
    > --
    > "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"-- code samples, sample chapter, FAQ:
    >
    > Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

    I don't know but every ribbon retailer lists them seperately. We had
    both LA36's and LA120's where I went to school but t's ibeen 25 years
    since I've seen either so I don't remember. Might just be a minor
    difference like length or maybe the spool mounting.

  7. Re: LA-36 vs. LA-120 ribbons (was: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?)

    johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]
    > >
    > > "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" spake the secret code
    > > <1133139900.223838.117260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com> thusly:
    > >
    > > >[...] Corroborating evidence is that
    > > >sever ribbon sales sites list the LS120 along with the LA30 and LA36 as
    > > >using the same ribbon, but the LA120 is a different one.

    > > Its been a really long time since I've seen an LA-36 ribbon, but the
    > > ribbon on my LA120 looks identical to what I remember.
    > >
    > > What's the difference between the two ribbons?
    > > --
    > > "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"-- code samples, sample chapter, FAQ:
    > >
    > > Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
    > >

    > I don't know but every ribbon retailer lists them seperately. We had
    > both LA36's and LA120's where I went to school but t's ibeen 25 years
    > since I've seen either so I don't remember. Might just be a minor
    > difference like length or maybe the spool mounting.

    According to the 1994 UK DECdirect catalogue the LA120/LA180 ribbon was
    180 feet (6-8 million characters) and the LA30/LA35/LA36 120 feet (3
    million characters). No mention of LS120. I can't say why the length
    and characters don't match; allowance for drying out, maybe? IIRC the
    spools were interchangeable, though the catalogue shows the LA120 ones
    plastic and the LA36es metal, but I think the original LA120s were
    metal.

    Chris

  8. Re: LA-36 vs. LA-120 ribbons (was: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?)

    johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    > > [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]
    > >
    > > "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" spake the secret code
    > > <1133139900.223838.117260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com> thusly:
    > >
    > > >[...] Corroborating evidence is that
    > > >sever ribbon sales sites list the LS120 along with the LA30 and LA36 as
    > > >using the same ribbon, but the LA120 is a different one.

    > > Its been a really long time since I've seen an LA-36 ribbon, but the
    > > ribbon on my LA120 looks identical to what I remember.
    > >
    > > What's the difference between the two ribbons?
    > > --
    > > "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"-- code samples, sample chapter, FAQ:
    > >
    > > Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
    > >

    > I don't know but every ribbon retailer lists them seperately. We had
    > both LA36's and LA120's where I went to school but t's ibeen 25 years
    > since I've seen either so I don't remember. Might just be a minor
    > difference like length or maybe the spool mounting.

  9. Re: LA-36 vs. LA-120 ribbons (was: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?)

    chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk spake the secret code
    <1133224538.718891.118380@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com> thusly:

    >[...] though the catalogue shows the LA120 ones
    >plastic and the LA36es metal, but I think the original LA120s were
    >metal.

    On the unit I bought, it came with both metal and plastic spools. It
    looks like the metal spools were a smaller diameter and older than the
    plastic spools. I got a couple plastic spools in their plastic
    envelope, but 15+ years of sitting in the desert climate of Nevada has
    dried out the ink even sealed in its plastic bag. (The bag probably
    has small holes in it.) The ink is legible, but not the nice dark
    color that a fresh ribbon always gave. The previous owner never had
    an LA-36, so I suspect that the ribbons can be interchanged between
    the two without any fuss. The only difference I can see on the spools
    is that the metal spool has 4 holes to receive the pins that rotate
    the spool, while the plastic spool has only 2 holes. The LA-120 has
    two pins and I don't recall the LA-36 as having 4 pins, but its been
    25 years since I've seen an LA-36 in the flesh.

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  10. Re: LA-36 vs. LA-120 ribbons (was: Difference between LA120 and LS120 ?)

    I just went to my printer archives and pulled out (brand new in the box
    and wrapper)
    LA 120 and LA36 ribbons. Here's how the spools measure:
    LA120 LA36
    Diameter 3 3/4" 3 1/4"
    Width 5/8" 5/8"
    type Nylon Nylon
    Length 60 yds ?
    Type
    spool metal metal

    mounting holes on both have center hole with 4 outer holes,
    2 of the outer holes are a tad closer in then other 2.
    The LA36 ribbon Brand-X box says it also fits the LA30 and
    has a list of other printers it also fits.

+ Reply to Thread