VT11? - DEC

This is a discussion on VT11? - DEC ; [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] I recently acquired a PDP-11/03 with RT-11. In the RT-11 documentation there is mention of something called the "VT11", which is a graphics display hardware peripheral. The display includes a ...

  1. VT11?

    I recently acquired a PDP-11/03 with RT-11. In the RT-11
    documentation there is mention of something called the "VT11", which
    is a graphics display hardware peripheral. The display includes a
    light pen. At some point the VT11 was incorporated into a standalone
    PDP-11 to create the GT04. However, I've been unable to find any
    information on the VT11 itself beyond a few mentions.

    Has anyone ever seen one?

    I'm assuming it consisted of a Q-bus board that contained the display
    controller and a terminal like display that contained the graphics memory
    and video scanout circuitry. My documentation has a photo of the
    monitor but no description of the interface card.

    Thanks!

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  2. Re: VT11?

    Richard wrote:

    > I recently acquired a PDP-11/03 with RT-11. In the RT-11
    > documentation there is mention of something called the "VT11", which
    > is a graphics display hardware peripheral. The display includes a
    > light pen. At some point the VT11 was incorporated into a standalone
    > PDP-11 to create the GT04. However, I've been unable to find any
    > information on the VT11 itself beyond a few mentions.

    That should be "GT40", not "GT04".

    > Has anyone ever seen one?

    Oh yes. I also own a sample of its big brother, the VS60 (aka VT48).
    One of its great attractions is a killer Lunar Lander game! :-)

    > I'm assuming it consisted of a Q-bus board that contained the display
    > controller and a terminal like display that contained the graphics memory
    > and video scanout circuitry.

    Not Q-bus, Unibus.

    > My documentation has a photo of the monitor but no description
    > of the interface card.

    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/graphics/GT40_EngrDrws.pdf and
    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/graphic...cDisplProc.pdf
    have what you are looking for.

    Alan Frisbie

  3. Re: VT11?

    Alan Frisbie spake the secret code
    <1133117647.670123@smirk> thusly:

    >Richard wrote:
    >
    >> [...] At some point the VT11 was incorporated into a standalone
    >> PDP-11 to create the GT04. However, I've been unable to find any
    >> information on the VT11 itself beyond a few mentions.

    >That should be "GT40", not "GT04".

    Oops, my mistake, thanks.

    >> Has anyone ever seen one?

    >Oh yes. I also own a sample of its big brother, the VS60 (aka VT48).
    >One of its great attractions is a killer Lunar Lander game! :-)

    What is the difference between the VT11 and the VS60? The
    documentation refers to 12 in. displays and 17 in. displays. Is the
    monitor size the only difference between these two?

    >> I'm assuming it consisted of a Q-bus board that contained the display
    >> controller and a terminal like display that contained the graphics memory
    >> and video scanout circuitry.

    >Not Q-bus, Unibus.

    Awwww.. bummer! I was hoping my 11/03 could be expanded to include
    one :-).

    >> My documentation has a photo of the monitor but no description
    > > of the interface card.

    >http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/graphics/GT40_EngrDrws.pdf and
    >http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/graphic...cDisplProc.pdf
    >have what you are looking for.

    Oh, great resource, thanks. I guess the reason this didn't google up
    is that the pages are images and not OCR'ed into text and therefore
    unsearchable by google?

    Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty

  4. Re: VT11?

    Richard wrote:

    > What is the difference between the VT11 and the VS60? The
    > documentation refers to 12 in. displays and 17 in. displays. Is the
    > monitor size the only difference between these two?

    First a bit of terminology: The VT48 is the graphics processor
    unit. It occupies a custom 13-slot Unibus backplane in a BA11
    box. The VR48 is the 21" scope/lightpen/table assembly. The
    combination of a VT48 and VR48 is called a VS60, which is the
    most common name for this system. A VS60 combined with a PDP-11/34
    was called the GT62. The GT62 name is seldom used. A VS60
    was commonly accompanied by an LK40 alphanumeric keyboard and
    sometimes by an LK11 16-key lighted pushbutton keypad.

    As for differences, the VT11 is essentially a small subset of
    the much more complex and capable VS60. Check Bitsavers.org
    for the VT48 and VS60 manuals and printsets, along with those
    for the LK40 and LK11.

    > Awwww.. bummer! I was hoping my 11/03 could be expanded to include
    > one :-).

    On the other hand, Doug Gwyn has written a VS60 emulator for
    SIMH which will pass the XXDP diagnostics.

    > Oh, great resource, thanks. I guess the reason this didn't google up
    > is that the pages are images and not OCR'ed into text and therefore
    > unsearchable by google?

    That is why I always try to mention Bitsavers.org in my posts
    whenever appropriate. Note all the keywords above. :-)

    Alan Frisbie

  5. Re: VT11?

    legalize+jeeves@mail.xmission.com (Richard) writes:
    > What is the difference between the VT11 and the VS60? The
    > documentation refers to 12 in. displays and 17 in. displays. Is the
    > monitor size the only difference between these two?

    No. The VS60 system does have a bigger monitor (or monitors), and they
    are electrostatically deflected so they are much faster, but they also
    use a different vector generator that is much fancier.

  6. Re: VT11?

    >On the other hand, Doug Gwyn has written a VS60 emulator for
    >SIMH which will pass the XXDP diagnostics.

    How does this work? SIMH only has text output? Is this a seperate
    program that has to be compiled with Win32 or SDL or Xlib or something?

+ Reply to Thread