Raid Array 3000 - DEC

This is a discussion on Raid Array 3000 - DEC ; Hi, I have the rack mount version of the Raid Array 3000 controller. What I don't have is the companion UPS. Does anyone know how the UPS interface on these units works? I'd like to either substitute a different UPS ...

  1. Raid Array 3000

    Hi, I have the rack mount version of the Raid Array 3000 controller.
    What I don't have is the companion UPS. Does anyone know how the UPS
    interface on these units works? I'd like to either substitute a
    different UPS or at least fake it into thinking the UPS is OK. From the
    manual it looks like the original UPS may have been made by Powerware
    but there is no way to tell if it uses the (non-)standard powerware
    interface and cable or not (or even which model was used). Thanks for
    any help you can give!

    Rick

  2. Re: Raid Array 3000

    Rick Sharpe wrote:
    > Hi, I have the rack mount version of the Raid Array 3000 controller.
    > What I don't have is the companion UPS. Does anyone know how the UPS
    > interface on these units works? I'd like to either substitute a
    > different UPS or at least fake it into thinking the UPS is OK. From
    > the manual it looks like the original UPS may have been made by
    > Powerware but there is no way to tell if it uses the (non-)standard
    > powerware interface and cable or not (or even which model was used).
    > Thanks for any help you can give!
    >
    > Rick

    It's been a few years, but I *think* that you can use any old UPS - just as
    long as the UPS has a serial port. I also think it was a straight through
    cable as well. However, you only truly need the UPS in case of a crash since
    those units didn't have cache batteries like some of the other more
    enterprise arrays.

    I know we used APC and Deltec UPSes here at work when we ran the RA3000s and
    didn't have issues with either of them.

    HTH,

    AJ Schroeder

+ Reply to Thread