Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ???? - DEC

This is a discussion on Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ???? - DEC ; Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it work in my Priosis XL 5166 ? Supports type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ? Anybody ?...

  1. Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ????

    Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it work in my
    Priosis XL 5166 ? Supports type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ?

    Anybody ?

  2. Re: Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ????

    In a word, no. The BIOS of any older computer is very much limited in the hard
    drive capacity which it supports. However, if you can find a newer add-on PCI
    disk controller card, backward compatible to the PCI 1.1 specification of the
    Prioris motherboard, you should be able to succeed in using the 250GB drive.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:34:16 +0100, "Roby" wrote:

    >Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it work in my
    >Priosis XL 5166 ? Supports type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ?
    >
    >Anybody ?

  3. Re: Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ????

    > In a word, no. The BIOS of any older computer is very much limited in the
    > hard
    > drive capacity which it supports. However, if you can find a newer add-on
    > PCI
    > disk controller card, backward compatible to the PCI 1.1 specification of
    > the
    > Prioris motherboard, you should be able to succeed in using the 250GB
    > drive.

    Hello Ben,

    Is this the best ATA-card for a 250Gb Harddisk i can buy ?

    http://www.adaptec.nl/worldwide/prod...ers%2fATA+RAID

  4. Re: Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ????

    I'm not exactly expert on PCI disk controller add-on cards. Adaptec is
    certainly a respectable brand. So is Promise. Best to do some research about
    the specifications before you buy, especially backward compatibility to PCI 1.1,
    which is the version of PCI spec for the Prioris XL.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:48:09 +0100, "Roby" wrote:

    >> In a word, no. The BIOS of any older computer is very much limited in the
    >> hard
    >> drive capacity which it supports. However, if you can find a newer add-on
    >> PCI
    >> disk controller card, backward compatible to the PCI 1.1 specification of
    >> the
    >> Prioris motherboard, you should be able to succeed in using the 250GB
    >> drive.

    >Hello Ben,
    >
    >Is this the best ATA-card for a 250Gb Harddisk i can buy ?
    >
    >http://www.adaptec.nl/worldwide/prod...ers%2fATA+RAID

  5. Re: Priosis XL 5166 and a 250Gb IDE HD ????

    Roby;

    I threw out most of my Prioris XL 100, but I kept the daughter card and dual
    processors and VRM. If you need these parts, let me know.

    Doug

    "Roby" wrote in message
    news:5093b$43823d6f$546b00f2$6563@cache40.multikab el.net...

    > Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it work in my
    > Priosis XL 5166 ? Supports type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ?
    >
    > Anybody ?

+ Reply to Thread