Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166 - DEC

This is a discussion on Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166 - DEC ; Have a Priosis XL 5166 (2 cpu) and cann't install the machine with Windows 2000. When the system Boots Up it sees that there is and org. Win2K CD in the Yamaha Scsi-cdr drive. "Bootable CD in drive" at ID ...

  1. Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166

    Have a Priosis XL 5166 (2 cpu) and cann't install the machine with Windows
    2000.

    When the system Boots Up it sees that there is and org. Win2K CD in
    the Yamaha Scsi-cdr drive. "Bootable CD in drive" at ID 5 but it
    doesn't bootup to install win2k.

    At the moment there is 16Mb in the machine is that the problem ?
    (when bootup problem is solved it willbe upgraded to 132Mb)

    Have a Samsung IDE 2Gb drive for win2k.

    Is there a tric to make the system boot from this win2k CD ?

    Anybody who can help me ?

    Robert

  2. Re: Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166

    Yes. The main logic board does not support bootable CDs. You will need to use
    the 5-diskette Windows 2000 bootable set to start up the CD.

    Next, Install a supported video card in the system. The main logic board has a
    Cirrus Logic graphics chipset, and there are no Windows 2000 drivers for Cirrus
    graphics chipsets. I suggest either an ATI or Matrox PCI video card.

    Next, increase the amount of system memory. If you can still find some 32MB
    72-pin SIMMs of the right specifications, fill up all the SIMM sockets.

    After that, the system should install and run Windows 2000 pretty well.

    Fortunately, all the add-on parts are now very cheap. If you can't find what
    you need over there across the pond, let me know. I have some of these older
    parts available, and overseas shipping may not be too expensive for a small
    parcel... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:05:39 +0100, "Roby" wrote:

    >Have a Priosis XL 5166 (2 cpu) and cann't install the machine with Windows
    >2000.
    >
    >When the system Boots Up it sees that there is and org. Win2K CD in
    >the Yamaha Scsi-cdr drive. "Bootable CD in drive" at ID 5 but it
    >doesn't bootup to install win2k.
    >
    >At the moment there is 16Mb in the machine is that the problem ?
    >(when bootup problem is solved it willbe upgraded to 132Mb)
    >
    >Have a Samsung IDE 2Gb drive for win2k.
    >
    >Is there a tric to make the system boot from this win2k CD ?
    >
    >Anybody who can help me ?
    >

    >Robert

  3. Re: Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166

    Thank you for the tip !

    I'd already downloaden bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com but now i remember
    that on the Win2K CD also Bootdisks...

    Have a Matrox card and 4x32 Simm here so that problem is also solved.

    Have a other question for you ( or anybody who know's the answer)
    Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it workin my Priosis XL 5166
    ?
    Support type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ?

    Robert Udo

    > Yes. The main logic board does not support bootable CDs. You will need
    > to use
    > the 5-diskette Windows 2000 bootable set to start up the CD.
    >
    > Next, Install a supported video card in the system. The main logic board
    > has a
    > Cirrus Logic graphics chipset, and there are no Windows 2000 drivers for
    > Cirrus
    > graphics chipsets. I suggest either an ATI or Matrox PCI video card.
    >
    > Next, increase the amount of system memory. If you can still find some
    > 32MB
    > 72-pin SIMMs of the right specifications, fill up all the SIMM sockets.
    >
    > After that, the system should install and run Windows 2000 pretty well.
    >
    > Fortunately, all the add-on parts are now very cheap. If you can't find
    > what
    > you need over there across the pond, let me know. I have some of these
    > older
    > parts available, and overseas shipping may not be too expensive for a
    > small
    > parcel... Ben Myers

  4. Re: Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166

    72-pin SIMMs must be installed in matched pairs, in the Prioris or in any other
    Pentium-class (or Pentium Pro) computer... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:32:12 +0100, "Roby" wrote:

    >Thank you for the tip !
    >
    >I'd already downloaden bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com but now i remember
    >that on the Win2K CD also Bootdisks...
    >
    >Have a Matrox card and 4x32 Simm here so that problem is also solved.
    >
    >Have a other question for you ( or anybody who know's the answer)
    >Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it workin my Priosis XL 5166
    >?
    >Support type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ?
    >
    >Robert Udo
    >

    >> Yes. The main logic board does not support bootable CDs. You will need
    >> to use
    >> the 5-diskette Windows 2000 bootable set to start up the CD.
    >>
    >> Next, Install a supported video card in the system. The main logic board
    >> has a
    >> Cirrus Logic graphics chipset, and there are no Windows 2000 drivers for
    >> Cirrus
    >> graphics chipsets. I suggest either an ATI or Matrox PCI video card.
    >>
    >> Next, increase the amount of system memory. If you can still find some
    >> 32MB
    >> 72-pin SIMMs of the right specifications, fill up all the SIMM sockets.
    >>
    >> After that, the system should install and run Windows 2000 pretty well.
    >>
    >> Fortunately, all the add-on parts are now very cheap. If you can't find
    >> what
    >> you need over there across the pond, let me know. I have some of these
    >> older
    >> parts available, and overseas shipping may not be too expensive for a
    >> small
    >> parcel... Ben Myers

  5. Re: Install problem Dig.Priosis.XL 5166

    "Roby" wrote:

    > Thank you for the tip !
    >
    > I'd already downloaden bootdisks from www.bootdisk.com but now i
    > remember that on the Win2K CD also Bootdisks...
    >
    > Have a Matrox card and 4x32 Simm here so that problem is also solved.
    >
    > Have a other question for you ( or anybody who know's the answer)
    > Want to buy a 250Gb Maxtor IDE Harddisk, does it workin my Priosis XL
    > 5166 ?
    > Support type 48/49 this kind of a Harddisk ?

    Hardly. Go for a PCI-IDE-controller. Less hassle and dirt-cheap.

    > Robert Udo

    Marc

    [...]

+ Reply to Thread