Old DEC StorageWorks Rack - DEC

This is a discussion on Old DEC StorageWorks Rack - DEC ; I recently accquired an old DEC StorageWorks Rack from eBay but I can not mount any 1U servers onto it as the mounting holes pattern is different. Any clues? Thanks in advance, Stardust...

  1. Old DEC StorageWorks Rack

    I recently accquired an old DEC StorageWorks Rack from eBay but I can
    not mount any 1U servers onto it as the mounting holes pattern is
    different. Any clues?

    Thanks in advance,
    Stardust

  2. Re: Old DEC StorageWorks Rack

    In article <1132247490.244919.212900@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, lhplee@gmail.com writes:
    > I recently accquired an old DEC StorageWorks Rack from eBay but I can
    > not mount any 1U servers onto it as the mounting holes pattern is
    > different. Any clues?

    Shipping must have cost more than the rack!

    You probably have one of the metric racks that DEC used for a while. IIRC
    the SW800 cabinets and perhaps some of the others used the metric mounting
    rails. Instead of the irregular spacing common to US racks, with both larger
    and smaller gaps between holes, the hole spacing is constant between each
    hole. Another DEC idea that never caught on in the market place.

    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the
    benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the
    light of the wrongs it would do and the harm it would cause if
    improperly administered -- Lyndon Johnson, former President of
    the U.S.

  3. Re: Old DEC StorageWorks Rack

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    > In article <1132247490.244919.212900@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, lhplee@gmail.com writes:
    > > I recently accquired an old DEC StorageWorks Rack from eBay but I can
    > > not mount any 1U servers onto it as the mounting holes pattern is
    > > different. Any clues?

    > Shipping must have cost more than the rack!
    >
    > You probably have one of the metric racks that DEC used for a while. IIRC
    > the SW800 cabinets and perhaps some of the others used the metric mounting
    > rails. Instead of the irregular spacing common to US racks, with both larger
    > and smaller gaps between holes, the hole spacing is constant between each
    > hole. Another DEC idea that never caught on in the market place.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<<
    > Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf
    > www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
    >
    > You [should] not examine legislation in the light of the
    > benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the
    > light of the wrongs it would do and the harm it would cause if
    > improperly administered -- Lyndon Johnson, former President of
    > the U.S.

    I have one of those. It is/was an SW800 cabinet. With much internal
    cussing and plotting and planning I have managed to mount a number of
    systems in it but not nearly as efficiently as if it had the "normal"
    spacing.

  4. Re: Old DEC StorageWorks Rack

    Yes the rack itself is dirt cheap but the shipping was like 6 times
    more!!!! However, I am happy that I got the rack it looks tough and
    well made. However, as you can see I am hit with this problem.

    I am planning to make a mounting rail to try to convert it back to the
    EIA pattern but the holes are going to be round not squared. Hope to
    have it ready soon coz I have some servers I want to mount in it.

    If anyone has info regarding a commerial product that I can buy rather
    then make it myself, would love to hear more from you.

  5. Re: Old DEC StorageWorks Rack

    Stardust wrote:

    > Yes the rack itself is dirt cheap but the shipping was like 6 times
    > more!!!! However, I am happy that I got the rack it looks tough and
    > well made. However, as you can see I am hit with this problem.
    >
    > I am planning to make a mounting rail to try to convert it back to the
    > EIA pattern but the holes are going to be round not squared. Hope to
    > have it ready soon coz I have some servers I want to mount in it.
    >
    > If anyone has info regarding a commerial product that I can buy rather
    > then make it myself, would love to hear more from you.

    Check with A/V suppliers and such. You may be able to buy just the rails
    you need, though they may need a bit of custom fitting. Shop around.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/