VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere? - DEC

This is a discussion on VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere? - DEC ; I know that there is some crossover readership with comp.os.vms, but no one has even acknowledged the question over there. So, does anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available? -- Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ...

  1. VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    --
    Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |

  2. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Rich Alderson wrote:
    > I know that there is some crossover readership with comp.os.vms, but no one
    > has even acknowledged the question over there.
    >
    > So, does anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available?

    I hereby acknowledge the question, to prove this is the "more caring"
    group.
    --T

    PS. I don't know of such a machine, but were it in running order and a
    suitable location, I'd happily hook up my 11/750 for you.

    > --
    > Rich Alderson | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
    > news@alderson.users.panix.com | \ / campaign against |
    > "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime." | x HTML mail and |
    > --Death, of the Endless | / \ postings |

  3. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    In article , Rich Alderson writes:

    :...anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available?...

    What problem(s) are you seeking to resolve?

    Simply seeking access to computer hardware that is approaching
    thirty years in age?

    Or is there some other purpose here?

    Any particular operating system? Version? Any I/O widget(s)?

    There are generally-accessable VAX systems -- but I'm not aware
    of anyone that allows access into the really old stuff. (It's
    tough enough to get or to build the parts to keep the old iron
    running, without adding to the "fun" by allowing open Internet
    access to the systems.)

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  4. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Hoff Hoffman wrote:
    > In article , Rich Alderson writes:
    >
    > :...anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available?...
    >
    > There are generally-accessable VAX systems -- but I'm not aware
    > of anyone that allows access into the really old stuff. (It's
    > tough enough to get or to build the parts to keep the old iron
    > running, without adding to the "fun" by allowing open Internet
    > access to the systems.)

    It isn't as cool at a 780 or a 750 (I gave away my 750's some years ago) but
    I do keep a uVAX-III online for public access: plutonium.vaxpower.org,
    guest/guest
    The VMS folks here wouldn't be too interested as it's running 4.3tahoe,
    of course..

    isildur

  5. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Lord Isildur wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Hoff Hoffman wrote:
    > > In article , Rich Alderson writes:
    > >
    > > :...anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available?...
    > >
    > > There are generally-accessable VAX systems -- but I'm not aware
    > > of anyone that allows access into the really old stuff. (It's
    > > tough enough to get or to build the parts to keep the old iron
    > > running, without adding to the "fun" by allowing open Internet
    > > access to the systems.)

    > It isn't as cool at a 780 or a 750 (I gave away my 750's some years ago) but
    > I do keep a uVAX-III online for public access: plutonium.vaxpower.org,
    > guest/guest

    It's very cool nonetheless!

    --T

    > The VMS folks here wouldn't be too interested as it's running 4.3tahoe,
    > of course..
    >
    > isildur

  6. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    In article
    ,
    Lord Isildur wrote:

    > The VMS folks here wouldn't be too interested as it's running 4.3tahoe,
    > of course..

    I guess that's a use for my VAX 4000m500A. I hadn't thought to make it
    a public swerver. Hm, something to think about. This winter, I can use
    it for heat, too!

    It'd probably be a good idea to get it some more reliable disks than the
    DSSI crud it came with. Anyone got suggestions? It's got some SCSI-2
    adapters, but I don't think they still make such drives.

    The main problem is my lack of a stable IP address. :-/

    --
    Anthony said:
    > A few minutes ago I attempted to give a flying fsck, but the best I
    > could do was to watch it skitter across the floor.

  7. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Howard S Shubs wrote:
    > It'd probably be a good idea to get it some more reliable disks than the
    > DSSI crud it came with. Anyone got suggestions? It's got some SCSI-2
    > adapters, but I don't think they still make such drives.

    True, but compatible drives will be found on ebay for a few years yet.
    It would be wise to stockpile now.

    I was tempted to cite Lord Isildur's cleverness above as a comment to
    Groklaw's latest instalment of Salus' 'The Daemon, the GNU & the
    Penguin', since it quotes Linus Torvalds on using UNIX on MicroVAX, but
    I thought he might not appreciate it. :-) It might certainly get him
    some traffic to exercise the box. I imagine some kiddie would fill
    /usr2 within 15 minutes...

    > The main problem is my lack of a stable IP address. :-/
    >
    > --
    > Anthony said:
    > > A few minutes ago I attempted to give a flying fsck, but the best I
    > > could do was to watch it skitter across the floor.

  8. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Howard S Shubs wrote:
    > The main problem is my lack of a stable IP address. :-/

    For that they invented dyndns.org. That works for me.

    --
    Alex.

  9. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Howard S Shubs writes:

    > It'd probably be a good idea to get it some more reliable disks than
    > the DSSI crud it came with. Anyone got suggestions? It's got some
    > SCSI-2 adapters, but I don't think they still make such drives.

    HSDs. Must try one in a wide shelf and see if it can be conned into
    working

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  10. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    In article <87oe6jhcv3.fsf@prep.synonet.com>, prep@prep.synonet.com
    wrote:

    > HSDs. Must try one in a wide shelf and see if it can be conned into
    > working

    Not much newer, really. I might be able to get some shelves.

    --
    Anthony said:
    > A few minutes ago I attempted to give a flying fsck, but the best I
    > could do was to watch it skitter across the floor.

  11. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Rich Alderson wrote:

    > I know that there is some crossover readership with comp.os.vms, but no one
    > has even acknowledged the question over there.
    >
    > So, does anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available?

    If a VAX 7000 / 820 will do the job, try this:

    http://fafner.dyndns.org/

    Frank Themann

  12. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    Frank Themann wrote:

    > Rich Alderson wrote:
    > >
    > > I know that there is some crossover readership with comp.os.vms, but no one
    > > has even acknowledged the question over there.
    > >
    > > So, does anyone *here* know of an old VAX still running and publicly available?

    > If a VAX 7000 / 820 will do the job, try this:
    >
    > http://fafner.dyndns.org/

    Hhmmm... Wonder if JYC and the Samba/VMS folks could use that to
    continue VAX support for Samba V2.8-2...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  13. Re: VAX 11/780 or 11/785 available on-line anywhere?

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    [...]

    > > http://fafner.dyndns.org/

    > Hhmmm... Wonder if JYC and the Samba/VMS folks could use that to
    > continue VAX support for Samba V2.8-2...

    Just drop him a line. You might check out the website

    http://www.vaxman.de

    to find out more about Bernd Ulmann and his nice machines. There are
    *some* PDP and VAX systems in working condition at his house.

    Frank Themann

+ Reply to Thread