Greetings: New here... - DEC

This is a discussion on Greetings: New here... - DEC ; Wow... Alpha has a fan club. I just aquired an HP Alpha Server 800 5/333. I am trying to hunt down a copy of Windows NT server or any other OS thats works. I have Windows 2003 server and Windows ...

  1. Greetings: New here...

    Wow...

    Alpha has a fan club.

    I just aquired an HP Alpha Server 800 5/333.

    I am trying to hunt down a copy of Windows NT server or any other OS thats
    works.

    I have Windows 2003 server and Windows 2000 but these don't seem to support
    that Alpha machine.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially about the BIOS config and
    how to install the OS.

    Cheers,

    GM

    Canmore Alberta

  2. Re: Seeking AlphaServer 800 Operating System (was: Re: Greetings: New here...)

    In article , "GM" writes:

    Welcome.

    :I am trying to hunt down a copy of Windows NT server or any other OS thats
    :works.

    OpenVMS Alpha is available, and a free hobbyist license is available,
    as is a low-cost hobbyist CD distribution.

    http://www.openvmshobbyist.org/

    And information and pointers are available in the OpenVMS FAQ at:

    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq/

    :I have Windows 2003 server and Windows 2000 but these don't seem to support
    :that Alpha machine.

    The Microsoft Windows port for Windows 2000 was never released as
    a product. The most recent Windows Alpha bits that were seen in
    the field were a beta version of Microsoft Windows 2000.

    :Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially about the BIOS config and
    :how to install the OS.

    OpenVMS, Tru64 UNIX and Linux ports are all available for Alpha.

    Both OpenVMS and Tru64 UNIX use the SRM console and -- if the box
    isn't already running SRM, information on finding the most recent
    console firmware and on switching from ARC/AlphaBIOS -- the Windows
    console firmware -- over to SRM are included in the OpenVMS FAQ.

    Manuals for OpenVMS, including an installation manual, are at:

    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc/

    If you decide to load OpenVMS Alpha, the comp.os.vms newsgroup is
    a rather busy one, too. Traffic here is rather lower.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  3. Re: Greetings: New here...

    Windows NT V4.0 is the last supported release. There may be some Windows
    2000 Beta's around that support the unit.

    Also, OpenVMS and Tru64 UNIX by hobbyist license and Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
    and NetBSD.

    "GM" wrote in message
    > Wow...
    >
    > Alpha has a fan club.
    >
    > I just aquired an HP Alpha Server 800 5/333.
    >
    > I am trying to hunt down a copy of Windows NT server or any other OS thats
    > works.
    >
    > I have Windows 2003 server and Windows 2000 but these don't seem to

    support
    > that Alpha machine.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially about the BIOS config and
    > how to install the OS.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > GM
    >
    > Canmore Alberta

  4. Re: Greetings: New here...

    GM wrote:
    > Wow...
    >
    > Alpha has a fan club.
    >
    > I just aquired an HP Alpha Server 800 5/333.
    >
    > I am trying to hunt down a copy of Windows NT server or any other OS thats
    > works.
    >
    > I have Windows 2003 server and Windows 2000 but these don't seem to support
    > that Alpha machine.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially about the BIOS config and
    > how to install the OS.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > GM
    >
    > Canmore Alberta

    If it's Win2k Server RC1 Beta that you wish, go to
    alt.binaries.warez.linux and search for Win2k Server.
    It was posted there about 2 weeks ago.
    Be warned, it is a Beta and was never officially released, so there is
    *NO* support for it *AT ALL*. No bug patches, no service packs, nada.
    If you want to play it seems to work just fine, I'd strongly advise
    against putting it live on the net. It's a wide open door for hackers.

    Good luck!

    TomC

  5. Re: Seeking AlphaServer 800 Operating System

    Hoff Hoffman wrote:

    > OpenVMS, Tru64 UNIX and Linux ports are all available for Alpha.

    NetBSD is also available for the AlphaServer 800 series.

    --
    Alex.

+ Reply to Thread