AlphaServer 1200 toy clock - DEC

This is a discussion on AlphaServer 1200 toy clock - DEC ; Has anyone replaced their AlphaServer 1200 TOY clock and if so what unit did you use for the substitution....

  1. AlphaServer 1200 toy clock

    Has anyone replaced their AlphaServer 1200 TOY clock and if so what unit
    did you use for the substitution.

  2. Re: AlphaServer 1200 toy clock

    Why do you need to replace it?

    Cannot just change battery?

    "FBSD_AS1200" wrote in message
    news:n1_Xe.1138$oc.130@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    > Has anyone replaced their AlphaServer 1200 TOY clock and if so what unit
    > did you use for the substitution.

  3. Re: AlphaServer 1200 toy clock

    Richard Tomkins wrote:

    > Why do you need to replace it?
    >
    > Cannot just change battery?
    >

    > "FBSD_AS1200" wrote in message
    > news:n1_Xe.1138$oc.130@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >
    >>Has anyone replaced their AlphaServer 1200 TOY clock and if so what unit
    >>did you use for the substitution.

    In short I am unsure as to weather or not the battery can be changed.
    The unit is a Dallas Semiconductor DS1287 clock chip. Unless I have
    missed something the unit does not look like it would disassemble easily.

  4. Re: AlphaServer 1200 toy clock

    mail_list@mindspring.com wrote:
    > Richard Tomkins wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you need to replace it?
    >>
    >> Cannot just change battery?
    >>

    >> "FBSD_AS1200" wrote in message
    >> news:n1_Xe.1138$oc.130@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >>
    >>> Has anyone replaced their AlphaServer 1200 TOY clock and if so what unit
    >>> did you use for the substitution.
    >>>

    > In short I am unsure as to weather or not the battery can be changed.
    > The unit is a Dallas Semiconductor DS1287 clock chip. Unless I have
    > missed something the unit does not look like it would disassemble easily.

    What makes you thonk something is wrong with it?

    -Tom

  5. Re: AlphaServer 1200 toy clock

    That explains the request of the OP. The DS1287 and follow-on products like the
    DS12287 were supposed to last 10 years, more or less, according to manufacturer
    Dallas Semiconductor (and competitor Benchmarq who made a plug-compatible IC).

    These chips have clock, CMOS and battery integrated into a single 28-pin IC.

    If the chip is socketed on the AlphaServer 1200, it can be removed and replaced
    with another. DEC almost always socketed these chips, or so I've seen on the
    DEC Wintel boxes which used them. I ***THINK*** that the DS12887 is
    plug-compatible with the DS1287, but I'm not dead certain. The Dallas Semi web
    site has complete specs and pinouts for these ICs.

    Anyway, the OP should examine the writing on top of the chip, and post what it
    says. I have some the Dallas and Benchmarq chips here, and will sell for
    cheap... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:27:17 GMT, mail_list@mindspring.com wrote:

    >Richard Tomkins wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you need to replace it?
    >>
    >> Cannot just change battery?
    >>

    >> "FBSD_AS1200" wrote in message
    >> news:n1_Xe.1138$oc.130@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
    >>
    >>>Has anyone replaced their AlphaServer 1200 TOY clock and if so what unit
    >>>did you use for the substitution.
    >>>

    >In short I am unsure as to weather or not the battery can be changed.
    >The unit is a Dallas Semiconductor DS1287 clock chip. Unless I have
    >missed something the unit does not look like it would disassemble easily.

+ Reply to Thread