DEC rainbow terminal question - DEC

This is a discussion on DEC rainbow terminal question - DEC ; Hi, is it possible to connect a standard serial terminal to a DEC Rainbow 100 instead of the usual VR201 ? Is there any adapter available ? Your help is appreciated. regards Roman -- r DOT sigmund ATT inode DOT ...

  1. DEC rainbow terminal question

    --
    r DOT sigmund ATT inode DOT at

  2. Re: DEC Rainbow and VR201 (was Re: DEC rainbow terminal question)

    In article <43305741$0$1674$79720d31@newsreader.inode.at>, r.sigmund@inode.at writes:
    :Hi, is it possible to connect a standard serial terminal to a DEC Rainbow
    :100 instead of the usual VR201 ?

    FWIW, the VR201-series widget is a display monitor, and not a serial
    terminal.

    You will want a replacement VR201 monitor, or an equivalent or
    compatible.

    As I recall, one of the VR201 devices was the VT240 series terminal,
    but the "brains" of that terminal were housed in a box, and the box
    drove the video for the VR201. The VR201 has no "brains", so it is
    arguably even "dumber" than a so-called "dumb" terminal. But I
    digress...

    :Is there any adapter available ?

    Not that I'm immediately aware of, but I've not gone looking for
    this. Widgets of this vintage are generally not compatible with
    the now-only-slightly-less-ancient and now more common PC-style
    connections.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  3. Re: DEC rainbow terminal question

    No.
    The VR201 is not a terminal it is a video monitor.

    wrote in message
    news:43305741$0$1674$79720d31@newsreader.inode.at. ..
    > Hi, is it possible to connect a standard serial terminal to a DEC Rainbow
    > 100 instead of the usual VR201 ?
    > Is there any adapter available ?
    >
    > Your help is appreciated.
    > regards
    > Roman
    > --
    > r DOT sigmund ATT inode DOT at

  4. Re: DEC rainbow terminal question

    Richard Tomkins wrote:
    Sorry, i was not precise.
    Is there any adapter or cable to a pc monitor or a terminal instead of the
    vr201 monitor(+ keyboard) ?

    (I have a Rainbow 100 but no Vr201)

    Thanks for your advice
    Roman

    > No.
    > The VR201 is not a terminal it is a video monitor.
    >

    > wrote in message
    > news:43305741$0$1674$79720d31@newsreader.inode.at. ..
    >> Hi, is it possible to connect a standard serial terminal to a DEC Rainbow
    >> 100 instead of the usual VR201 ?
    >> Is there any adapter available ?
    >>
    >> Your help is appreciated.
    >> regards
    >> Roman
    >> --
    >> r DOT sigmund ATT inode DOT at

    --
    r DOT sigmund ATT inode DOT at

  5. Re: DEC rainbow terminal question

    A multisync monitor with the sync on green might work. You might be able to
    build a small circuit to mix green and sync.

    Adapters were not very prevalent in those days.

    Good luck, rtt

    "Roman" wrote in message
    news:43345c20$0$1679$79720d31@newsreader.inode.at. ..
    > Richard Tomkins wrote:
    > Sorry, i was not precise.
    > Is there any adapter or cable to a pc monitor or a terminal instead of the
    > vr201 monitor(+ keyboard) ?
    >
    > (I have a Rainbow 100 but no Vr201)
    >
    > Thanks for your advice
    > Roman
    >
    > > No.
    > > The VR201 is not a terminal it is a video monitor.
    > >

    > > wrote in message
    > > news:43305741$0$1674$79720d31@newsreader.inode.at. ..
    > >> Hi, is it possible to connect a standard serial terminal to a DEC

    Rainbow
    > >> 100 instead of the usual VR201 ?
    > >> Is there any adapter available ?
    > >>
    > >> Your help is appreciated.