Many Alphaserver 1200 questions - DEC

This is a discussion on Many Alphaserver 1200 questions - DEC ; I have an AS1200 that was running redhat 7 but has been powered down for months. I had decided to try Tru64 but I have run into many issues. 1. When the system was powered up it reportes a powersupply ...

  1. Many Alphaserver 1200 questions

    I have an AS1200 that was running redhat 7 but has been powered down for
    months. I had decided to try Tru64 but I have run into many issues.

    1. When the system was powered up it reportes a powersupply #1 failure.
    Replaced with a spare powersupply and now power supply #0 reports a failure.

    2. When I tried to install Tru64 v5.1B-1 the system locks up at the
    choose language screen. No keyboard or mouse response. Firmware is up to
    the latest version.

    3. Does anyone have any spare AS1200 power supplies for sale. Seems I
    lost both for some reason.

  2. Re: Many Alphaserver 1200 questions

    You must run the ECU when you change from OpenVMS to Tru64 to Windows NT. If
    you don't, the hardware is not set up properly. You get random faults or
    sometimes, if you're lucky, no faults.

    "FBSD_AS1200" wrote in message
    news:hPPVe.10161$Wd7.3268@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
    > I have an AS1200 that was running redhat 7 but has been powered down for
    > months. I had decided to try Tru64 but I have run into many issues.
    >
    > 1. When the system was powered up it reportes a powersupply #1 failure.
    > Replaced with a spare powersupply and now power supply #0 reports a

    failure.

    > 2. When I tried to install Tru64 v5.1B-1 the system locks up at the
    > choose language screen. No keyboard or mouse response. Firmware is up to
    > the latest version.
    >
    > 3. Does anyone have any spare AS1200 power supplies for sale. Seems I
    > lost both for some reason.

  3. Re: Many Alphaserver 1200 questions

    In article <4328800a$1_1@news.cybersurf.net>, "Richard Tomkins" writes:
    > You must run the ECU when you change from OpenVMS to Tru64 to Windows NT. If
    > you don't, the hardware is not set up properly. You get random faults or
    > sometimes, if you're lucky, no faults.

    Is there a change going from VMS to Tru64? I thought both used the same
    firmware. Ther ARE changes when going from either VMS or Tru to / from
    Windoz.

    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    It had become an universal and almost uncontroverted position in
    the several States, that the purposes of society do not require
    a surrender of all our rights to our ordinary governors; that
    there are certain portions of right not necessary to enable them
    to carry on an effective government, and which experience has
    nevertheless proved they will be constantly encroaching on, if
    submitted to them; that there are also certain fences which
    experience has proved peculiarly efficacious against wrong, and
    rarely obstructive of right, which yet the governing powers have
    ever shown a disposition to weaken and remove. Of the first
    kind, for instance, is freedom of religion; of the second, trial
    by jury, habeas corpus laws, free presses. -- Thomas Jefferson

  4. Re: Many Alphaserver 1200 questions

    OpenVMS to Tru64, probably shouldn't have to run ECU.

    However, having said that, I have never had any weird problems cause I
    always ran the ECU when changing things around such as hardware or updating
    firmware or changing the OS.

    I once had a customer that had some 4100's and the floppy drives showed up
    at the console, but Tru64 never saw them. He wanted to send all the hardware
    back for replacement. Took a lot of polite effort to get him to shut one
    system down to run the ECU, and then a second system and finally he was
    happy to do all 12 of them. Simple solution to problem for him that was a
    major issue.

    You are correct, there is a version of the ECU for Windows NT and a second
    version for OpenVMS/Tru64.

    When the original poster said the latest firmware was installed, the alarm
    bells went off cause after you do a firmware upgrade, you should run the
    ECU. Firmware upgrades can change where certain tables in memory are kept
    that relate to the ECU.

    The ECU, EISA Configuration Utility, although it says EISA, configures the
    various tuff built in to the systems, such as, Console, RDM port, Floppy,
    Serial ports, parallel port, USB and built-in display port if also there.
    From what I remember on machines with built in video, you can turn the built
    in display on or off with the ECU.

    writes:
    > > You must run the ECU when you change from OpenVMS to Tru64 to Windows

    NT. If
    > > you don't, the hardware is not set up properly. You get random faults or
    > > sometimes, if you're lucky, no faults.

    > Is there a change going from VMS to Tru64? I thought both used the same
    > firmware. Ther ARE changes when going from either VMS or Tru to / from
    > Windoz.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars

    (yet)! <<<
    > Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf
    > www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org

    www.nar.org

    > It had become an universal and almost uncontroverted position in
    > the several States, that the purposes of society do not require
    > a surrender of all our rights to our ordinary governors; that
    > there are certain portions of right not necessary to enable them
    > to carry on an effective government, and which experience has
    > nevertheless proved they will be constantly encroaching on, if
    > submitted to them; that there are also certain fences which
    > experience has proved peculiarly efficacious against wrong, and
    > rarely obstructive of right, which yet the governing powers have
    > ever shown a disposition to weaken and remove. Of the first
    > kind, for instance, is freedom of religion; of the second, trial
    > by jury, habeas corpus laws, free presses. -- Thomas Jefferson

  5. Re: Many Alphaserver 1200 questions

    Richard Tomkins wrote:

> [...]

    >> www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org

    > www.nar.org
    >
    >> It had become an universal and almost uncontroverted position in
    >> the several States, that the purposes of society do not require
    >> a surrender of all our rights to our ordinary governors; that
    >> there are certain portions of right not necessary to enable them
    >> to carry on an effective government, and which experience has
    >> nevertheless proved they will be constantly encroaching on, if
    >> submitted to them; that there are also certain fences which
    >> experience has proved peculiarly efficacious against wrong, and
    >> rarely obstructive of right, which yet the governing powers have
    >> ever shown a disposition to weaken and remove. Of the first
    >> kind, for instance, is freedom of religion; of the second, trial
    >> by jury, habeas corpus laws, free presses. -- Thomas Jefferson

    Thank you for that explanation of the ECU Richard. I have always
    wondered if it was necessary to run the ECU if the system did not
    utilize the EISA bus. This AS1200 has only run RedHat v7 Linux and
    FreeBSD v4 and v5 without need for the ECU. HP/Compaq should get there
    tech help in order as I was told by a Compaq tech the ECU was only
    needed if EISA hardware was present in the system. Is there any way of
    obtaining the ECU diskette image online?

  6. Re: Many Alphaserver 1200 questions

    Go to driverguide.com and do an advanced search, contributor is richardt.
    That should get you both ECU's.

    news:b6qWe.366$Gg1.146@newsread3.news.pas.earthlin k.net...

+ Reply to Thread