Smoking VAX powersupply - DEC

This is a discussion on Smoking VAX powersupply - DEC ; Vax-4000 I noticed it was off. I managed to get the door open and noticed that the power supply button was turned off. I pushed the rocker-switch to the 'On' position. Medium amount of arc-ing, grey smoke, and the switch ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Smoking VAX powersupply

  1. Smoking VAX powersupply

    Vax-4000
    I noticed it was off. I managed to get the door open and noticed that
    the power supply button was turned off. I pushed the rocker-switch to
    the 'On' position.
    Medium amount of arc-ing, grey smoke, and the switch flipped back to
    off before I could even think "Where is the fire extinguisher."

    Is this something I could find on a shelf somewhere in Houston, or
    should I just get a new vax?

    I need something that can connect an RA81 to FTP.

    Thanks in advance.


  2. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply



    On Sun, 15 May 2005 jcwelch@hal-pc.org wrote:

    > Is this something I could find on a shelf somewhere in Houston, or
    > should I just get a new vax?


    You can surely get another PS on Ebay or from a reseller if nothing else
    was smoked. The H7868-A power supplies I've smoked over the years have
    never fried anything external to the PS on their way out.

    ---
    Lord, protect me from those to whom you speak directly
    perl -e '#this program inspired by LookWAYup;print("hello world\n");'

  3. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply

    In article <1116194566.694280.69680@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    jcwelch@hal-pc.org writes:

    > Medium amount of arc-ing, grey smoke


    I've heard of folks smoking tobacco, marihuana, grapevines, even
    fingernails---but VAX power supplies? That's a new one.

    The next time someone asks me "Hey dude, what have you been smoking" I
    will offer a deadpan response: VAX power supplies.


  4. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply

    The powersupply was smoking, not me. I guess that is why it has gotten
    too lazy to work anyomre. Other people have said that this computer
    stuff is all 'Smoke and Mirrors' anyway, and once the smoke get out, it
    doesn't work anymore!


  5. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply

    In article ,
    helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to
    reply) wrote:
    >In article <1116194566.694280.69680@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    >jcwelch@hal-pc.org writes:
    >
    >> Medium amount of arc-ing, grey smoke

    >
    >I've heard of folks smoking tobacco, marihuana, grapevines, even
    >fingernails---but VAX power supplies? That's a new one.
    >
    >The next time someone asks me "Hey dude, what have you been smoking" I
    >will offer a deadpan response: VAX power supplies.
    >

    As long as you smoke it after sparking. :-)

    /BAH

    Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

  6. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply

    The Surgeon General has determined that smoking VAX power supplies can
    be dangerous to your health.


    --
    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"

  7. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply

    Well, of course! The smoke fogs up the mirrors, stopping the bits from being
    reflected properly. Or is it refracted? ... Ben Myers

    On 16 May 2005 03:13:07 -0700, jcwelch@hal-pc.org wrote:

    >The powersupply was smoking, not me. I guess that is why it has gotten
    >too lazy to work anyomre. Other people have said that this computer
    >stuff is all 'Smoke and Mirrors' anyway, and once the smoke get out, it
    >doesn't work anymore!
    >



  8. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply


    VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > The Surgeon General has determined that smoking VAX power supplies

    can
    > be dangerous to your health.
    >

    I am just glad that I did not have to buy it a couple of cosmopolitians
    and a steak dinner first...


  9. Re: Smoking VAX powersupply

    Dear JCWE,

    This is never a good thing.

    You may be able to buy a whole VAX cheaper on eBay than you wuld pay
    for the PSU, even at a steep discoutn.

    good luck

    jn


+ Reply to Thread