Prioris MX with PII 400 cpus. - DEC

This is a discussion on Prioris MX with PII 400 cpus. - DEC ; I have a MX 6266 (and a DIGITAL server 3000!) and want to change out the 266 CPUs for a pair of Deschutes PII 400s I have. Problem is, I can run either 400 in either slot OK, but it ...

  1. Prioris MX with PII 400 cpus.

    I have a MX 6266 (and a DIGITAL server 3000!) and want to change
    out the 266 CPUs for a pair of Deschutes PII 400s I have.

    Problem is, I can run either 400 in either slot OK, but it will not
    bring up the second CPU. The BIOS outputs CPU[12] TEST FAIL. This is
    the 3.05 bios that is meant to be OK with a Firebird card. The 266s
    run OK.

    Anyone got any insights to fixing this?

    Yes, I have re-run SCU...

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  2. Re: Prioris MX with PII 400 cpus.

    You do know that the CPU's have to be compatible at the microcode level,
    right?

    I went to the Intel site a while ago when I was trying to make a single CPU
    system into a dual CPU system and found a PDF file there that had charts of
    which Intel CPU parts were and were not compatible. I was quite surprised at
    the number of variations in CPU's and the stuff.

    rtt
    wrote in message
    > I have a MX 6266 (and a DIGITAL server 3000!) and want to change
    > out the 266 CPUs for a pair of Deschutes PII 400s I have.
    >
    > Problem is, I can run either 400 in either slot OK, but it will not
    > bring up the second CPU. The BIOS outputs CPU[12] TEST FAIL. This is
    > the 3.05 bios that is meant to be OK with a Firebird card. The 266s
    > run OK.
    >
    > Anyone got any insights to fixing this?
    >
    > Yes, I have re-run SCU...
    >
    > --
    > Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    > +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    > West Australia 6076
    > comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    > Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    > EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.

  3. Re: Prioris MX with PII 400 cpus.

    The easiest way is to simply match up the production code stamped on top of a
    Pentium II plastic cover... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:28:08 -0400, "Richard Tomkins"
    wrote:

    >You do know that the CPU's have to be compatible at the microcode level,
    >right?
    >
    >I went to the Intel site a while ago when I was trying to make a single CPU
    >system into a dual CPU system and found a PDF file there that had charts of
    >which Intel CPU parts were and were not compatible. I was quite surprised at
    >the number of variations in CPU's and the stuff.
    >
    >rtt
    > wrote in message
    >> I have a MX 6266 (and a DIGITAL server 3000!) and want to change
    >> out the 266 CPUs for a pair of Deschutes PII 400s I have.
    >>
    >> Problem is, I can run either 400 in either slot OK, but it will not
    >> bring up the second CPU. The BIOS outputs CPU[12] TEST FAIL. This is
    >> the 3.05 bios that is meant to be OK with a Firebird card. The 266s
    >> run OK.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any insights to fixing this?
    >>
    >> Yes, I have re-run SCU...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    >> +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    >> West Australia 6076
    >> comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    >> Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    >> EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.

    >http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

+ Reply to Thread