Tru64 NFS Performance over UDP is very slow. - DEC

This is a discussion on Tru64 NFS Performance over UDP is very slow. - DEC ; Hello Everyone, We have the following environment. Two ES45 with a DEGXA PCI Gigabit Cards as follows: name = bcm0 category = network sub_category = Ethernet model = DEGXA hardware_rev = BCM5703_C0 firmware_rev = MAC_address = 00-10-18-0C-4E-39 MTU_size = 1500 ...

  1. Tru64 NFS Performance over UDP is very slow.

    Hello Everyone,
    We have the following environment.
    Two ES45 with a DEGXA PCI Gigabit Cards as follows:
    name = bcm0
    category = network
    sub_category = Ethernet
    model = DEGXA
    hardware_rev = BCM5703_C0
    firmware_rev =
    MAC_address = 00-10-18-0C-4E-39
    MTU_size = 1500
    media_speed = 1000
    media_selection = Automatic

    The NFS Environment we have is clustered running only samba.
    The performance in the NFS Cluster is decreasing every day until it
    reaches a point in which we have to reboot the cluster once a month to
    clear out the cache and buffer. Then the services come back fine.
    The following errors are constantly logged on to the /var/adm/messages
    in relation to the

    RFS3_COMMIT
    RFS3_READ
    RFS3_WRITE
    RFS3_GETATTR, client address = xx.xx.xx.xx, errno 70
    rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    NFS server: stale file handle fs(2554,616540) file 857277 gen 32771

    Our environment consists of over 40 TB of files in data being accross
    the NFS.
    Question:
    Is there a problem with the retransmit of large file systems, since
    most of our file systems are over 2 gig in size.

    Also, while doing some tests internally we noticed the following in
    MB/sec and while reading a file on being served by the CFS.

    In server 1 the reads were at 11 and the writes at 25
    In server 2 the reads were at 35 and the writes at 25

    Questions:
    Can someone tell me what is the high-performance blocksize for NFS V3.
    If there is a diagram online that will make us understand this better
    it will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    David

  2. Re: Tru64 NFS Performance over UDP is very slow.

    I wonder if the NIC's are doing a constant re-config.

    What are thye plugged into? A Switch, a Hub?

    Maybe you need to set up the configuration of the hardware manually. What
    about MTU sizes being too large? Could the network gear be swamped?

    "davegu1" wrote in message
    news:1115910314.362469.252430@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello Everyone,
    > We have the following environment.
    > Two ES45 with a DEGXA PCI Gigabit Cards as follows:
    > name = bcm0
    > category = network
    > sub_category = Ethernet
    > model = DEGXA
    > hardware_rev = BCM5703_C0
    > firmware_rev =
    > MAC_address = 00-10-18-0C-4E-39
    > MTU_size = 1500
    > media_speed = 1000
    > media_selection = Automatic
    >
    > The NFS Environment we have is clustered running only samba.
    > The performance in the NFS Cluster is decreasing every day until it
    > reaches a point in which we have to reboot the cluster once a month to
    > clear out the cache and buffer. Then the services come back fine.
    > The following errors are constantly logged on to the /var/adm/messages
    > in relation to the
    >
    > RFS3_COMMIT
    > RFS3_READ
    > RFS3_WRITE
    > RFS3_GETATTR, client address = xx.xx.xx.xx, errno 70
    > rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    > rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    > NFS server: stale file handle fs(2554,616540) file 857277 gen 32771
    >
    > Our environment consists of over 40 TB of files in data being accross
    > the NFS.
    > Question:
    > Is there a problem with the retransmit of large file systems, since
    > most of our file systems are over 2 gig in size.
    >
    > Also, while doing some tests internally we noticed the following in
    > MB/sec and while reading a file on being served by the CFS.
    >
    > In server 1 the reads were at 11 and the writes at 25
    > In server 2 the reads were at 35 and the writes at 25
    >
    > Questions:
    > Can someone tell me what is the high-performance blocksize for NFS V3.
    > If there is a diagram online that will make us understand this better
    > it will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > David

  3. Re: Tru64 NFS Performance over UDP is very slow.

    Richard,
    These nics are plugged into a Brocade Switch. I have already checked
    the nics and there are no errors being reported and the network is not
    swamped.

    David

    News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

    120,000+ Newsgroups

    =----

  4. Re: Tru64 NFS Performance over UDP is very slow.

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=837679

    Here is someone with a similar issue. Maybe it is routing?

    news:1116337394.932309.163570@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...