Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings - DEC ; "Lars D. Nooden" wrote: | | Where can I find a description of the special keys on the old | VT terminals? I need to remap some keys to produce the same effects | as DO, HLP, HLD, BRK, PRN ...

  1. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    "Lars D. Nooden" wrote:

    | Where can I find a description of the special keys on the old
    | VT terminals? I need to remap some keys to produce the same effects
    | as DO, HLP, HLD, BRK, PRN and a few others.

    Others pointed out the formal DEC documentation kept online by
    Paul Williams at http://www.vt100.net/.

    Then "Lars D. Nooden" wrote:

    | One thing missing from that site (at least I couldn't find it),
    | though pointed out by someone else, is that CSI stands for
    | "Control Sequence introducer" and means ESC [

    This sort of clarification could be found out by perusing the
    informal documentation and folklore which I have archived at

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

    On the "DEC" page, there is a link called

    "About keyboards on the VT100, VT220, VT320, VT420, VT510, etc."

    which would have solved your puzzle about the correspondence between
    8-bit "CSI" and 7-bit "ESC [".

    I have recently added a photo of a DEC LK401 keyboard, the kind
    usually supplied with the VT300 and VT400 series. The resolution of
    this JPEG file is sufficiently high that you can read the keycaps.
    There are also diagrams of the LK201 and the VT100's keyboard.

    There is also a page specializing in keyboard information:

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/key_mice.html

    ...RSS

    --
    http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herb/r.php
    "An absolutely full bodied taste treat...no artificial flavorings...

  2. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    "Richard S. Shuford" wrote:

    > "Lars D. Nooden" wrote:
    > |
    > | Where can I find a description of the special keys on the old
    > | VT terminals? I need to remap some keys to produce the same effects
    > | as DO, HLP, HLD, BRK, PRN and a few others.

    If you have access to a VMS system, look at SYS$SYSTEM:SMGTERMS.TXT.
    There in, you'll find descriptions of the escape sequence transmitted by
    the active function keys. (Roughly equivalent to the termcap file in
    UN*X-land, but must be "compiled" into TERMTABLE.EXE.)

    Note, however, that the following keys are local to the terminal and
    send nothing to the host:

    F1 (No Scroll or Scroll Lock) is an XOF/XON toggle.

    F2 (Print Screen) sends a text form of what's on the screen to the
    printer port. CTRL+F2 toggles "Auto-Print" (what comes the screen also
    goes to the printer port).

    F3 (Setup) Enter Set up mode. Is a toggle.

    F4 (Switch Session or Talk/Data) on VT200 and VT300, was intended for
    use with an available internal modem (I think). On VT420 and VT500,
    either triggers session control software or switches locally between
    pre-configured sessions (for example: Session 1: Comm-1, Session-2:
    Comm-2, Session-3: Comm-3).

    F5 (Break) generates a break on the currently selected serial port.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  3. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:

    > If you have access to a VMS system, look at SYS$SYSTEM:SMGTERMS.TXT.
    > There in, you'll find descriptions of the escape sequence transmitted by
    > the active function keys. (Roughly equivalent to the termcap file in
    > UN*X-land, but must be "compiled" into TERMTABLE.EXE.)

    It's analogous, but contains less information (at least I've not seen it
    describing the color escape sequences, and iirc, is rather limited for
    the line-drawing). It does, as you note, list the function-keys.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  4. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    >
    > > If you have access to a VMS system, look at SYS$SYSTEM:SMGTERMS.TXT.
    > > There in, you'll find descriptions of the escape sequence transmitted by
    > > the active function keys. (Roughly equivalent to the termcap file in
    > > UN*X-land, but must be "compiled" into TERMTABLE.EXE.)

    > It's analogous, but contains less information (at least I've not seen it
    > describing the color escape sequences, and iirc, is rather limited for
    > the line-drawing). It does, as you note, list the function-keys.

    Look again, especially at the VT525 entry and other ANSI-color
    compatible entries. The item names are english-language and not cryptic
    abbreviations, so it may a little getting used to, but...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  5. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Thomas Dickey wrote:
    >>
    >> In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    >>
    >> > If you have access to a VMS system, look at SYS$SYSTEM:SMGTERMS.TXT.
    >> > There in, you'll find descriptions of the escape sequence transmitted by
    >> > the active function keys. (Roughly equivalent to the termcap file in
    >> > UN*X-land, but must be "compiled" into TERMTABLE.EXE.)

    >> It's analogous, but contains less information (at least I've not seen it
    >> describing the color escape sequences, and iirc, is rather limited for
    >> the line-drawing). It does, as you note, list the function-keys.

    > Look again, especially at the VT525 entry and other ANSI-color
    > compatible entries. The item names are english-language and not cryptic
    > abbreviations, so it may a little getting used to, but...

    I see what it says, but it's lacking (saying something is ANSI-color
    doesn't cover the range of possibilities - it only says that it follows
    whatever model DEC used for ANSI color).

    For instance, I'm told that DEC's color model doesn't clear the background
    with the current color. That means that the other half (all of the newer
    ones ;-) of the terminals that do won't work with smgterms.txt

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  6. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > >> It's analogous, but contains less information (at least I've not seen it
    > >> describing the color escape sequences, and iirc, is rather limited for
    > >> the line-drawing). It does, as you note, list the function-keys.

    > > Look again, especially at the VT525 entry and other ANSI-color
    > > compatible entries. The item names are english-language and not cryptic
    > > abbreviations, so it may a little getting used to, but...

    > I see what it says, but it's lacking (saying something is ANSI-color
    > doesn't cover the range of possibilities - it only says that it follows
    > whatever model DEC used for ANSI color).

    Umm, the ANSI model? (ANSI = American National Standards Institute which
    predates Bill Gates (the current "standards" dictator) and DEC by
    several decades.)

    > For instance, I'm told that DEC's color model doesn't clear the background
    > with the current color. That means that the other half (all of the newer
    > ones ;-) of the terminals that do won't work with smgterms.txt

    ....except that these commands are executed by the terminal in response
    to receipt of the associated escape sequence, not by the host.

    So, the behavior will be terminal/type-specific.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  7. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    >> I see what it says, but it's lacking (saying something is ANSI-color
    >> doesn't cover the range of possibilities - it only says that it follows
    >> whatever model DEC used for ANSI color).

    > Umm, the ANSI model? (ANSI = American National Standards Institute which
    > predates Bill Gates (the current "standards" dictator) and DEC by
    > several decades.)

    yes - the ANSI model, which doesn't specify all of the nice little details.

    >> For instance, I'm told that DEC's color model doesn't clear the background
    >> with the current color. That means that the other half (all of the newer
    >> ones ;-) of the terminals that do won't work with smgterms.txt

    > ...except that these commands are executed by the terminal in response
    > to receipt of the associated escape sequence, not by the host.

    agreed - the host doesn't know enough to use the terminal efficiently.

    > So, the behavior will be terminal/type-specific.

    right - smgterms.txt doesn't tell as much as termcap or terminfo would.

    (I noticed this some time ago, curious to see if there was enough information
    in smgterms.txt to properly treat xterm, etc., for color support in vile,
    and found there was not).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  8. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    > >> I see what it says, but it's lacking (saying something is ANSI-color
    > >> doesn't cover the range of possibilities - it only says that it follows
    > >> whatever model DEC used for ANSI color).

    > > Umm, the ANSI model? (ANSI = American National Standards Institute which
    > > predates Bill Gates (the current "standards" dictator) and DEC by
    > > several decades.)

    > yes - the ANSI model, which doesn't specify all of the nice little details.
    >
    > >> For instance, I'm told that DEC's color model doesn't clear the background
    > >> with the current color. That means that the other half (all of the newer
    > >> ones ;-) of the terminals that do won't work with smgterms.txt

    > > ...except that these commands are executed by the terminal in response
    > > to receipt of the associated escape sequence, not by the host.

    > agreed - the host doesn't know enough to use the terminal efficiently.
    >
    > > So, the behavior will be terminal/type-specific.

    > right - smgterms.txt doesn't tell as much as termcap or terminfo would.

    Can you cite some items from termcap that smgterms lacks? ...and
    vice-versa?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  9. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    >> agreed - the host doesn't know enough to use the terminal efficiently.
    >>
    >> > So, the behavior will be terminal/type-specific.

    >> right - smgterms.txt doesn't tell as much as termcap or terminfo would.

    > Can you cite some items from termcap that smgterms lacks? ...and
    > vice-versa?

    Well, mostly I see different syntax. Ignoring that, the differences are
    based on the types of terminals that they're supporting.

    smgterms has a few predefined items for which there is no conventional
    termcap setting, e.g., (reading smgterms):

    width_narrow = "$[?3l", width_wide = "$[?3h",

    noting however, that termcap's capability list is not predefined -
    applications use conventions. terminfo usually (except for ncurses)
    uses wholly predefined capabilities, like smgterms. Most of the
    data I see in smgterms corresponds 1-1 with termcap/terminfo
    capabilities. Some that do not are the names given to the vt100
    line-drawing characters, e.g.,

    upper_right_corner = "k", vertical_bar = "x",

    but that's part of the ac (termcap) or acsc (terminfo) string.

    smgterms has predefined names for (no surprise) the application mode of
    the DEC vt100 numeric keypad:

    key_0 = "$Op", key_1 = "$Oq", key_2 = "$Or", key_3 = "$Os",
    key_4 = "$Ot", key_5 = "$Ou", key_6 = "$Ov", key_7 = "$Ow",
    key_8 = "$Ox", key_9 = "$Oy",
    key_comma = "$Ol", key_minus = "$Om", key_period = "$On",
    key_enter = "$OM", key_pf1 = "$OP", key_pf2 = "$OQ",
    key_pf3 = "$OR", key_pf4 = "$OS", key_down_arrow = "$[B",

    So generally what smgterms has that termcap doesn't have is a lot of
    names for things that apply specifically to DEC terminals.

    termcap/terminfo have settings to handle cases that do not appear on
    DEC terminals, e.g., (bce is the flag I mentioned before):

    back_color_erase bce be Screen erased with background color
    can_change ccc cc Terminal can re-define existing
    color
    ceol_standout_glitch xhp xs Standout not erased by overwriting
    (hp)
    has_meta_key km km Has a meta key (shift, sets parity
    bit)
    hue_lightness_saturation hls hl Terminal uses only HLS color
    notation (Tektronix)

    I don't see any setting in smgterms that's telling the number of colors
    the terminal supports. There are some apparent afterthoughts such as

    begin_user1 = "$[30m", end_user1 = "$[m",
    begin_user2 = "$[34m", end_user2 = "$[m",

    Comparing it only against terminfo, I don't see (at first) any indication in
    smgterms that it supports expressions such as terminfo's sgr string:

    sgr=\E[0%?%p1%p6%|%t;1%;%?%p2%t;4%;%?%p1%p3%|%t;7%;%?%p4% t;5%;m%?%p9%t^N%e^O%;,

    so what I'm mostly seeing in smgterms is comparable to termcap, i.e.,
    plugging in parameters based on position, e.g.,

    set_cursor_abs = "$[!UL;!ULH", smgterms
    :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH: termcap
    cup=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH, terminfo

    But that reminds me that vt52 wouldn't work with only positional parameters.
    I see this:

    SET_CURSOR_ABS = '$Y(%1+31)(%2+31)', smgterms
    :cm=\EY%+ %+ : termcap
    cup=\EY%p1%' '%+%c%p2%' '%+%c, terminfo

    So smgterms does have some expression capability (not used much - I only
    see it used in the vt52 and vt55).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  10. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    Thomas Dickey wrote:

    > In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:
    > >> agreed - the host doesn't know enough to use the terminal efficiently.

    > >> right - smgterms.txt doesn't tell as much as termcap or terminfo would.

    > > Can you cite some items from termcap that smgterms lacks? ...and
    > > vice-versa?

    > Well, mostly I see different syntax. Ignoring that, the differences are
    > based on the types of terminals that they're supporting.
    >
    > smgterms has a few predefined items for which there is no conventional
    > termcap setting, e.g., (reading smgterms):
    >
    > width_narrow = "$[?3l", width_wide = "$[?3h",
    >
    > noting however, that termcap's capability list is not predefined -
    > applications use conventions. terminfo usually (except for ncurses)
    > uses wholly predefined capabilities, like smgterms. Most of the
    > data I see in smgterms corresponds 1-1 with termcap/terminfo
    > capabilities. Some that do not are the names given to the vt100
    > line-drawing characters, e.g.,
    >
    > upper_right_corner = "k", vertical_bar = "x",
    >
    > but that's part of the ac (termcap) or acsc (terminfo) string.
    >
    > smgterms has predefined names for (no surprise) the application mode of
    > the DEC vt100 numeric keypad:
    >
    > key_0 = "$Op", key_1 = "$Oq", key_2 = "$Or", key_3 = "$Os",
    > key_4 = "$Ot", key_5 = "$Ou", key_6 = "$Ov", key_7 = "$Ow",
    > key_8 = "$Ox", key_9 = "$Oy",
    > key_comma = "$Ol", key_minus = "$Om", key_period = "$On",
    > key_enter = "$OM", key_pf1 = "$OP", key_pf2 = "$OQ",
    > key_pf3 = "$OR", key_pf4 = "$OS", key_down_arrow = "$[B",
    >
    > So generally what smgterms has that termcap doesn't have is a lot of
    > names for things that apply specifically to DEC terminals.

    Well, yes and no. Actually, I recall from working with my first UN*X
    system that I had to create a termcap entry for the tube I was using at
    the time. Don't recall the make just now, but it had an ANSI-compatible
    emulation (such as it was at the time) that included having an
    "application" mode for the numeric keypad. The sequences were something
    like \001\003, \001\007\, \001\012\, etc.; the first character was (I
    believe) a CTRL+A followed by someother control character, not
    introduced by an escape.

    > termcap/terminfo have settings to handle cases that do not appear on
    > DEC terminals, e.g., (bce is the flag I mentioned before):
    >
    > back_color_erase bce be Screen erased with background color
    > can_change ccc cc Terminal can re-define existing
    > color
    > ceol_standout_glitch xhp xs Standout not erased by overwriting
    > (hp)
    > has_meta_key km km Has a meta key (shift, sets parity
    > bit)
    > hue_lightness_saturation hls hl Terminal uses only HLS color
    > notation (Tektronix)
    >
    > I don't see any setting in smgterms that's telling the number of colors
    > the terminal supports. There are some apparent afterthoughts such as
    >
    > begin_user1 = "$[30m", end_user1 = "$[m",
    > begin_user2 = "$[34m", end_user2 = "$[m",
    >
    > Comparing it only against terminfo, I don't see (at first) any indication in
    > smgterms that it supports expressions such as terminfo's sgr string:
    >
    > sgr=\E[0%?%p1%p6%|%t;1%;%?%p2%t;4%;%?%p1%p3%|%t;7%;%?%p4% t;5%;m%?%p9%t^N%e^O%;,
    >
    > so what I'm mostly seeing in smgterms is comparable to termcap, i.e.,
    > plugging in parameters based on position, e.g.,
    >
    > set_cursor_abs = "$[!UL;!ULH", smgterms
    > :cm=\E[%i%d;%dH: termcap
    > cup=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dH, terminfo
    >
    > But that reminds me that vt52 wouldn't work with only positional parameters.
    > I see this:
    >
    > SET_CURSOR_ABS = '$Y(%1+31)(%2+31)', smgterms
    > :cm=\EY%+ %+ : termcap
    > cup=\EY%p1%' '%+%c%p2%' '%+%c, terminfo
    >
    > So smgterms does have some expression capability (not used much - I only
    > see it used in the vt52 and vt55).

    Not sure where to find doc.'s on SMG (Screen Management Guidelines)
    these days. I suspect that there are other mnemonics not includes in the
    SMGTERMS.TXT file, but documented elsewhere.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  11. Re: DO HLP HLD BRK PRN and other keymappings

    In comp.terminals David J Dachtera wrote:

    > Not sure where to find doc.'s on SMG (Screen Management Guidelines)
    > these days. I suspect that there are other mnemonics not includes in the
    > SMGTERMS.TXT file, but documented elsewhere.

    starting here:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/index.html

    searching for smg gives this:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/72final/5935/5935pro.html

    (from the available documentation, the parameter-substitution isn't
    as flexible as terminfo).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net