Re: What's the state of ReGIS these days? - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: What's the state of ReGIS these days? - DEC ; Kevin L wrote: | | Referring to the ReGIS graphics capabilities of the VTx40. | It looks really neat, and I'm thinking about adding ReGIS to an | open-source emulator within a couple years. | 1) Are a lot of ...

  1. Re: What's the state of ReGIS these days?

    Kevin L wrote:

    | Referring to the ReGIS graphics capabilities of the VTx40.
    | It looks really neat, and I'm thinking about adding ReGIS to an
    | open-source emulator within a couple years.
    | 1) Are a lot of people still using ReGIS for critical work?
    | 2) Are a lot of people still developing new applications that use ReGIS?
    | 3) Has an open-source implementation of ReGIS emulation already emerged?
    | 4) Are there any open-source ReGIS output drivers outside of GNU plotutils?
    | In short, is this a standard that is almost abandoned, or is it still
    | happily in production out there?

    Kevin:

    I brought your question to the attention of Luuk van Dijk.
    He wrote back as follows:

    I considered adding ReGIS to "xterm" a couple of years ago, because
    a customer of mine used DEC PDP-11 computers with custom written
    (FORTRAN) software from the 1980's. (The OS was RSX-11, I think).
    They used them to process-control water-pumping and -cleaning
    plants (with uptimes of over 7 years!). The logging software
    produced some graphics with ReGIS, and I made a proposal to do
    some stuff with that. It took a long time before they decided
    against it. Meanwhile these machines have been phased out, and
    I moved on to other things.

    From what I gathered back then, the ReGIS protocol is not very
    hard; most of the work would go into researching how to divert
    the character stream in xterm to your own graphics thing. The
    Tektronix support already in xterm would be, more or less, an
    example of how to do that, so my estimates at the time were:

    3 days of reading code and experimenting (xterm is a mess!)
    2 days for a ReGIS char-stream-to-Xwindow ReGIS interpreter
    (including testing)
    and
    1 day to integrate the one in the other.

    From what I gathered, everyone who would want this would find the
    "terminals" faq, and from the deafening silence after my querying
    around in that neighbourhood, concerning whether anybody would
    use/need this, I concluded that I was probably the only one at
    the time :-)

    Still, it would be fun to do this sometime.

    L.

    So, ReGIS has some clever capabilities, but it has waned in popularity,
    and I'd be surprised to see new development using it.

    There is no open-source implementation of a ReGIS-rendering client.

    As I have previously noted, there are some commercial packages that
    emulate VT340 terminals and can render ReGIS graphics (as well as
    sixel and probably some others). I keep information on these
    available from the "DEC" page of my "Terminal Information" website:

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

    (Look for the link "If you need ReGIS, you can purchase an emulator.")

    During the 1980s, a handful of open-source programs that produced
    ReGIS output were accumulated in the old DECUS library, which now is
    under control of the Encompass User Group.

    Such programs were typically written in FORTRAN for running under a
    DEC operating system (VMS or RSX, usually). A few descriptions are
    still online, with the actual package retrievable by anonymous FTP.

    VAX ReGIS Graphics Library (V00365)
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00365.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00365/vaxregis.zip

    REGTRDG: ReGIS Translator for DECgraph (V00229: FORTRAN and C)
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00229.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00229/regtrdg.zip
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00229/regtrdg.doc

    ReGIS to HPGL Conversion Program (V00297)
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00297.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00297/reg2hpgl.zip

    VT200 TOOLKIT (V00181: BASIC and C)
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00181.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00181/toolkit.zip
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00181/toolkit.doc

    FONT2XX (V00159) [custom character sets for VT220 terminals]
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00159.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00159/font2xx.zip
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00159/font2xx.doc

    VT100 Graphics Editor (V00377)
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00377.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00377/ge.zip
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00377/ge.doc

    VTOUTPUT (V00348)
    http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/desc...ml/v00348.html
    ftp://ftp.encompassus.org/lib/v00348/vtoutput.zip

    Some ReGIS software may have been included in one of the "OpenVMS
    Freeware" collections, but I have not really dug into it.

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/freeware/

    You might also find some ReGIS-producing software at the archive
    maintained at Process Software by Hunter Goatley:

    http://www.process.com/openvms/

    That's how things stand today.

    ...RSS

    --
    Have a Cow, Man!
    http://www.stonyfield.com/weblog/Dai...ACow/index.cfm

  2. Re: What's the state of ReGIS these days?

    Richard S. Shuford wrote:
    > Kevin L wrote:
    >>
    >> Referring to the ReGIS graphics capabilities of the VTx40.
    >> It looks really neat, and I'm thinking about adding ReGIS to an
    >> open-source emulator within a couple years.
    >> 1) Are a lot of people still using ReGIS for critical work?

    Don't know about "a lot" but I know of one. ReGIS is used to display
    both on screen and on printed reports through DCPS.

    >> 2) Are a lot of people still developing new applications that use
    >> ReGIS?

    This particular application went on-line in the year 2000, so I would
    call that new.

    If anyone out there has the ReGIS file that shows a chemistry set with
    bubbles flowing through some tubes then please let me know. I haven't
    seen it since I had access to a GiGi terminal in school.

    --
    Peter Weaver
    Weaver Consulting Services Inc.

  3. Re: What's the state of ReGIS these days?

    In article ,
    "Richard S. Shuford"
    wrote:

    > That's how things stand today.

    Don't forget the GiGi, which is much more to the point:

    http://www.daedalus.co.nz/don/computing/gigi.html
    http://members.tripod.com/~ilkerf/cdoc/decregis.html (search for GiGi)

    --
    Though I've tried, I've fallen... / I have sunk so low
    I have messed up / Better I should know

+ Reply to Thread