VS3100 questions - DEC

This is a discussion on VS3100 questions - DEC ; I have a VAXstation 3100 that I'm noodling around with. I've lost most of my VAX lore, so bear with me... On power-up, the console gives me the following status messages: KA42-A V1.2 F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4_..3_ ..2_..1... ? C 0080 0000.4001 I've ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: VS3100 questions

  1. VS3100 questions

    I have a VAXstation 3100 that I'm noodling around with. I've lost most of
    my VAX lore, so bear with me...

    On power-up, the console gives me the following status messages:

    KA42-A V1.2

    F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4_..3_ ..2_..1...


    ? C 0080 0000.4001


    I've flipped S3 into the "UP" position, so that I can use a serial term
    plugged in to the printer port. I seem to recall that the "? C" has to do
    with the lack of a "proper" display unit.

    I'm also curious as to the 4, 3, and 2 status. I think I remember that 3
    and 2 are related to the SCSI channels, but they're working fine.

    It stops at the chevron prompt, and never auto-boots. Just typing "b" will
    work, but I dunno why it's not auto-booting. Does the above status message
    cause it to not auto-boot? Or is there a chevron command I can issue for
    auto-booting?

    I've got VMS 7.2 installed with a hobbyist license, but when I disconnected
    my homebrew console cable, it sends a break and then it's sitting at the
    chevron prompt. Which is why I wanted auto-boot, so I can just have no
    local console.

    (the machine also has no CD-ROM drive, it was kinda fun to install VMS with
    no local removable media :-/ )

    Thanks. (if you want, reply to me directly - yngvarr at gmail d-o-t com)

  2. Re: VS3100 questions

    Bill D'Augustine wrote:
    >
    > I have a VAXstation 3100 that I'm noodling around with. I've lost most of
    > my VAX lore, so bear with me...
    >
    > On power-up, the console gives me the following status messages:
    >
    > KA42-A V1.2
    >
    > F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4_..3_ ..2_..1...
    >
    > ? C 0080 0000.4001
    >
    > I've flipped S3 into the "UP" position, so that I can use a serial term
    > plugged in to the printer port. I seem to recall that the "? C" has to do
    > with the lack of a "proper" display unit.
    >
    > I'm also curious as to the 4, 3, and 2 status. I think I remember that 3
    > and 2 are related to the SCSI channels, but they're working fine.
    >
    > It stops at the chevron prompt, and never auto-boots. Just typing "b" will
    > work, but I dunno why it's not auto-booting. Does the above status message
    > cause it to not auto-boot? Or is there a chevron command I can issue for
    > auto-booting?
    >
    > I've got VMS 7.2 installed with a hobbyist license, but when I disconnected
    > my homebrew console cable, it sends a break and then it's sitting at the
    > chevron prompt. Which is why I wanted auto-boot, so I can just have no
    > local console.
    >
    > (the machine also has no CD-ROM drive, it was kinda fun to install VMS with
    > no local removable media :-/ )


    The single "?" should not prevent an autoboot if the machine is set for
    that. Trouble is, I don't recall right now just how to do that. I know
    its "SET mumble", but I don't recall if "mumble" is HALT or someother
    keyword. I do recall there being three values: 0 = stop at the console
    prompt (I think), 1 = either Restart or Boot and 2 = either Boot or
    Restart. Just not sure about all that, but that's what I recall just
    now. I have doc. somewhere, it's just not handy right now.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  3. Re: VS3100 questions

    David J Dachtera wrote in
    news:4273AFEA.45304D69@comcast.net:

    > The single "?" should not prevent an autoboot if the machine is set
    > for that. Trouble is, I don't recall right now just how to do that. I
    > know its "SET mumble", but I don't recall if "mumble" is HALT or
    > someother keyword. I do recall there being three values: 0 = stop at
    > the console prompt (I think), 1 = either Restart or Boot and 2 =
    > either Boot or Restart. Just not sure about all that, but that's what
    > I recall just now. I have doc. somewhere, it's just not handy right
    > now.
    >


    Thanks for refreshing my memory! I got it:

    set halt 2 = autoboot

    (it was set for halt=3, which just drops to the chevrons. don't know what 0
    or 1 did/does)


  4. Re: VS3100 questions


    Bill D'Augustine wrote:
    > I have a VAXstation 3100 that I'm noodling around with. I've lost

    most of
    > my VAX lore, so bear with me...
    >
    > On power-up, the console gives me the following status messages:
    >
    > KA42-A V1.2
    >
    > F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4_..3_ ..2_..1...
    >
    >
    > ? C 0080 0000.4001
    >
    >
    > I've flipped S3 into the "UP" position, so that I can use a serial

    term
    > plugged in to the printer port. I seem to recall that the "? C" has

    to do
    > with the lack of a "proper" display unit.


    Test C is the serial line controller. IIRC you have to have loopback
    connectors in to avoid this warning.

    > I'm also curious as to the 4, 3, and 2 status. I think I remember

    that 3
    > and 2 are related to the SCSI channels, but they're working fine.


    4 is the 8-plane graphics option. 3 & 2 are not used.

    Chris


  5. Re: VS3100 questions

    In article <1ATce.5486$xy.3825@trnddc08>, "Bill D'Augustine"
    writes:

    > > The single "?" should not prevent an autoboot if the machine is set
    > > for that. Trouble is, I don't recall right now just how to do that. I
    > > know its "SET mumble", but I don't recall if "mumble" is HALT or
    > > someother keyword. I do recall there being three values: 0 = stop at
    > > the console prompt (I think), 1 = either Restart or Boot and 2 =
    > > either Boot or Restart. Just not sure about all that, but that's what
    > > I recall just now. I have doc. somewhere, it's just not handy right
    > > now.

    >
    > Thanks for refreshing my memory! I got it:
    >
    > set halt 2 = autoboot
    >
    > (it was set for halt=3, which just drops to the chevrons. don't know what 0
    > or 1 did/does)


    1 = restart, 2 = boot, 3 = halt

    I believe that restart means that it should try to boot after a crash or
    power cycle, wherease boot is just after a power cycle. Why not set
    HALT to 1 so that if there is a crash it will reboot if it can?

    Consoles: some VAXes want to have permanent access to the console.


  6. Re: VS3100 questions

    On 2005-05-02, Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    > 1 = restart, 2 = boot, 3 = halt
    >
    > I believe that restart means that it should try to boot after a crash or
    > power cycle, wherease boot is just after a power cycle. Why not set
    > HALT to 1 so that if there is a crash it will reboot if it can?


    As I understand it, restart tries to restart the operating system via
    information recorded in the restart parameter block. This is a bit
    different from rebooting, as it allows the operating system a chance to
    do some error recovery (or, at the very least, take a crash dump).

    But I've been wrong before and doubtless will again...
    --
    Roger Ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net
    http://anachronda.webhop.org/
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GCS/P d- s:+++ a+ C++ UB--(++++) !P L- !E W++ N++ o-- K w O- M+ V+++ PS+
    PE++ Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X-- R tv++ b++ DI+++ D+ G e++ h--- r+++ z+++
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

  7. Re: VS3100 questions

    Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:

    > Consoles: some VAXes want to have permanent access to the console.


    Certainly not the 3100. I guess it just gets a break
    on the serial line. I know something similar when I
    used a VT220 with various VAXen. Just disconnecting
    the cable (orginal DEC) worked, but switching off
    the VT220 made the VAX drop into the >>> prompt.

    mfg
    Dennis

    --
    Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared,
    for the greatest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer.

  8. Re: VS3100 questions

    In article , "Bill D'Augustine" writes:
    :I have a VAXstation 3100 that I'm noodling around with. I've lost most of
    :my VAX lore, so bear with me...
    :
    :On power-up, the console gives me the following status messages:
    :
    :KA42-A V1.2
    :
    :F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4_..3 _..2_..1...
    :
    :
    : ? C 0080 0000.4001

    You have a VAXstation 3100 model 30 (two rows of slots on the side)
    or a model 40 (three rows of slots).

    On the Model 38 -- the manual I'm looking at -- 4 is the optional
    8-plane co-processor, 3 and 2 are reserved, and the C error is very
    likely the DZ throwing a minor "untested" error.

    :I've flipped S3 into the "UP" position, so that I can use a serial term
    lugged in to the printer port. I seem to recall that the "? C" has to do
    :with the lack of a "proper" display unit.

    Nope.

    :I'm also curious as to the 4, 3, and 2 status. I think I remember that 3
    :and 2 are related to the SCSI channels, but they're working fine.

    7 and 6 are SCSI A and B, respectively.

    :It stops at the chevron prompt, and never auto-boots. Just typing "b" will
    :work, but I dunno why it's not auto-booting. Does the above status message
    :cause it to not auto-boot? Or is there a chevron command I can issue for
    :auto-booting?

    Others have answered.

    :I've got VMS 7.2 installed with a hobbyist license, but when I disconnected
    :my homebrew console cable, it sends a break and then it's sitting at the
    :chevron prompt. Which is why I wanted auto-boot, so I can just have no
    :local console.

    The console cable "fun" is discussed in the FAQ. You have likely
    and unintentionally generated a BREAK on the console serial line.

    Also please see the FAQ around the system disk limits for this box.

    the machine also has no CD-ROM drive, it was kinda fun to install VMS with
    :no local removable media :-/ )

    I'd get a CD-ROM drive, lest you continue to have "fun". An RRD
    series CD-ROM drive will work, and a Plextor series SCSI CD-ROM
    or CD-R/RW drive will probably work here.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com


  9. Re: VS3100 questions

    Anyone have a source of the batteries for the TOY clock in the VS3100...
    Mine's dead.

    Any suggested replacements at a reasonable price?

    Bill

    Hoff Hoffman wrote:
    > In article , "Bill D'Augustine" writes:
    > :I have a VAXstation 3100 that I'm noodling around with. I've lost most of
    > :my VAX lore, so bear with me...
    > :
    > :On power-up, the console gives me the following status messages:
    > :
    > :KA42-A V1.2
    > :
    > :F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4_..3 _..2_..1...
    > :
    > :
    > : ? C 0080 0000.4001
    >
    > You have a VAXstation 3100 model 30 (two rows of slots on the side)
    > or a model 40 (three rows of slots).
    >
    > On the Model 38 -- the manual I'm looking at -- 4 is the optional
    > 8-plane co-processor, 3 and 2 are reserved, and the C error is very
    > likely the DZ throwing a minor "untested" error.
    >
    > :I've flipped S3 into the "UP" position, so that I can use a serial term
    > lugged in to the printer port. I seem to recall that the "? C" has to do
    > :with the lack of a "proper" display unit.
    >
    > Nope.
    >
    > :I'm also curious as to the 4, 3, and 2 status. I think I remember that 3
    > :and 2 are related to the SCSI channels, but they're working fine.
    >
    > 7 and 6 are SCSI A and B, respectively.
    >
    > :It stops at the chevron prompt, and never auto-boots. Just typing "b" will
    > :work, but I dunno why it's not auto-booting. Does the above status message
    > :cause it to not auto-boot? Or is there a chevron command I can issue for
    > :auto-booting?
    >
    > Others have answered.
    >
    > :I've got VMS 7.2 installed with a hobbyist license, but when I disconnected
    > :my homebrew console cable, it sends a break and then it's sitting at the
    > :chevron prompt. Which is why I wanted auto-boot, so I can just have no
    > :local console.
    >
    > The console cable "fun" is discussed in the FAQ. You have likely
    > and unintentionally generated a BREAK on the console serial line.
    >
    > Also please see the FAQ around the system disk limits for this box.
    >
    > the machine also has no CD-ROM drive, it was kinda fun to install VMS with
    > :no local removable media :-/ )
    >
    > I'd get a CD-ROM drive, lest you continue to have "fun". An RRD
    > series CD-ROM drive will work, and a Plextor series SCSI CD-ROM
    > or CD-R/RW drive will probably work here.
    >
    > ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    > --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com
    >



    --
    --
    d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN. Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
    pechter-at-ureach.com

  10. Re: VS3100 questions

    "Bill Pechter" wrote in message
    news:427CEEDA.2050106@monmouth.com...
    > Anyone have a source of the batteries for the TOY clock in the VS3100...
    > Mine's dead.
    >
    > Any suggested replacements at a reasonable price?
    >
    > Bill
    >


    The battery for the VS3100-30 is a 5V DC, the part number is 12-19245-00.

    Alex



  11. Re: VS3100 questions

    Bill Pechter wrote:
    >Anyone have a source of the batteries for the TOY clock in the VS3100...
    >Mine's dead.


    They are just 3 rechargable Panasonic AAA NiCad batteries, chained in
    series. Either recharge or replace them. The official part number on mine
    is:

    PANASONIC
    NRAAA
    1219245-00
    1/A33/H

    scs

  12. Re: VS3100 questions

    S.C.Sprong wrote:
    > Bill Pechter wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have a source of the batteries for the TOY clock in the VS3100...
    >>Mine's dead.

    >
    >
    > They are just 3 rechargable Panasonic AAA NiCad batteries, chained in
    > series. Either recharge or replace them. The official part number on mine
    > is:
    >
    > PANASONIC
    > NRAAA
    > 1219245-00
    > 1/A33/H
    >
    > scs


    Thanks... I've got a pile of AAA Nicads here...


    Bill


    --
    --
    d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN. Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
    pechter-at-ureach.com

  13. Re: VS3100 questions

    In article <3f3vecF5rmutU1@individual.net>, "S.C.Sprong" writes:
    > Bill Pechter wrote:
    >>Anyone have a source of the batteries for the TOY clock in the VS3100...
    >>Mine's dead.

    >
    > They are just 3 rechargable Panasonic AAA NiCad batteries, chained in
    > series. Either recharge or replace them. The official part number on mine
    > is:
    >
    > PANASONIC
    > NRAAA
    > 1219245-00
    > 1/A33/H


    And I can't imagine that there's anything particularly special about that
    particular part. Any AAA solder tab Nicad should do for these packs.

    Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
    >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    We must have faith in our democratic system and our Constitution,
    and in our ability to protect at the same time both the freedom and
    the security of all Americans.

  14. Re: VS3100 questions

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    >"S.C.Sprong" writes:
    >> Bill Pechter wrote:
    >>>Anyone have a source of the batteries for the TOY clock in the VS3100...

    >> They are just 3 rechargable Panasonic AAA NiCad batteries

    >And I can't imagine that there's anything particularly special about that
    >particular part. Any AAA solder tab Nicad should do for these packs.


    But these TOY batteries are wrapped in an Officially Approved [TM] piece
    of white plastic wrap bearing the part number I mentioned.

    If your kink is Everything |D|I|G|I||A|L| (R), you might be overwhelmed
    by waves of nostalgia and get a warm feeling owning this piece of Company
    History.

    If your kink is Saving the Environment, you might be overwhelmed by a
    bilious rage by witnessing this Senseless Waste of Natural Resources and
    go clubbing a SUV owner (no bullets, of course).

    Personally, my course of action would be to hand in the batteries at the
    nearest depot, tape 3 fresh AAA batteries and a two-wire connector (also
    used for cooling fans) together, and get on with life.

    YMMV,
    scs

+ Reply to Thread